Does anyone use 1.51 on vista sp1? Does it work properly?

Report bugs, bug fixes and workarounds here.
Topic author
Phil
With us: 16 years 4 months

Does anyone use 1.51 on vista sp1? Does it work properly?

Post #1by Phil » 10.05.2008, 05:22

My system is vista sp1, I installed the Celestia win32 1.51, but it cannot work when I double-click the program, says:Celestia has stop working... anybody met the same problem?

BobHegwood
With us: 16 years 11 months

Re: Does anyone use 1.51 on vista sp1? Does it work properly?

Post #2by BobHegwood » 10.05.2008, 12:46

See my system in signature. Works okay for me. :wink:

With a few small problems from time to time, but none related to Celestia.
Brain-Dead Geezer Bob is now using...
Windows Vista Home Premium, 64-bit on a
Gateway Pentium Dual-Core CPU E5200, 2.5GHz
7 GB RAM, 500 GB hard disk, Nvidia GeForce 7100
Nvidia nForce 630i, 1680x1050 screen, Latest SVN

piellepi M
With us: 21 years

Post #3by piellepi » 10.05.2008, 14:26

Hi Bob!
I'm glad to answer you that , yes, Celestia works very well in my new PC, with Vista SP1. The first thing I suppressed (disabled) is the in-famous UAC, that instead stopped everything I needed to do in my PC: now my Vista is something like old XP, with no annoyances at all. Now with SP1 is even faster at start...
This is what Celestia reports for my new PC:
Produttore: Intel
Renderer:Intel Bear Lake B
Versione: 1.4.0 - Build 7.15.10.1472
Numero max textures simultanee:8
Dimensione max texture: 2048
Gamma della dimensione dei punti: 0.500000 - 10.000000
My new PC is a Acer Aspire L3600 with a Pentium Dual CPU E2140 @ 1.60GHz
with 4GByte RAM (oh yes, now with SP1 I can see 4GBytes! Before SP1 my memory was something more than 3GBytes, I don't remember...)

Unfortunately Intel drivers support OpenGL up to version 1.4 :( so I surely miss something :x I had in my old and noisy PC with OpenGL 2.0 .
The fact is that my PC is a very small one, even smaller than a A4 paper sheet! And it's very silent! Unfortunately again, my graphic card is embedded into the motherboard and there is no PCI slot! So I have to wait for new drivers from Intel.

Ciao
Pierluigi

zhar2
With us: 16 years 6 months

Post #4by zhar2 » 10.05.2008, 16:13

Mine works fine, besides that becouse my laptop screen is a widecreen celestia cant go to full screen mode, then it stops working.

BobHegwood

Post #5by BobHegwood » 10.05.2008, 16:38

zhar2 wrote:Mine works fine, besides that becouse my laptop screen is a widecreen celestia cant go to full screen mode, then it stops working.

My screen is almost two feet wide and I have NO trouble viewing Celestia in full-screen mode.
Maybe you need some updated drivers? Just a thought...

BobHegwood

Post #6by BobHegwood » 10.05.2008, 16:43

piellepi wrote:Hi Bob!
I'm glad to answer you that , yes, Celestia works very well in my new PC, with Vista SP1.

Sorry Pierluigi, but it wasn't me who asked the question. See first post above. :wink:

piellepi wrote:Unfortunately Intel drivers support OpenGL up to version 1.4 :( so I surely miss something :x I had in my old and noisy PC with OpenGL 2.0 .
The fact is that my PC is a very small one, even smaller than a A4 paper sheet! And it's very silent! Unfortunately again, my graphic card is embedded into the motherboard and there is no PCI slot! So I have to wait for new drivers from Intel.

Ciao
Pierluigi

Very sorry to hear that my friend. :(
Ciao yourself, and best of luck to you.

zhar2
With us: 16 years 6 months

Post #7by zhar2 » 10.05.2008, 18:22

BobHegwood wrote:
zhar2 wrote:Mine works fine, besides that becouse my laptop screen is a widecreen celestia cant go to full screen mode, then it stops working.

My screen is almost two feet wide and I have NO trouble viewing Celestia in full-screen mode.
Maybe you need some updated drivers? Just a thought...

It seems like the graphic drivers are upto date, so that may not be it. :)

RedStar
With us: 16 years 4 months

Post #8by RedStar » 14.05.2008, 02:58

Actually I'm having problems too with Vista S.P.1... Everything displays properly, but I can't select ANYTHING, unless I'm already so close to the thing it takes up the entire screen. I get that problem both in full screen and windowed mode. Any ideas what this could be?

BobHegwood

Post #9by BobHegwood » 14.05.2008, 04:33

RedStar wrote:Actually I'm having problems too with Vista S.P.1... Everything displays properly, but I can't select ANYTHING, unless I'm already so close to the thing it takes up the entire screen. I get that problem both in full screen and windowed mode. Any ideas what this could be?

I *do* get strange problems like that one from time to time, but they usually go away when either HP (My manufacturer) or Windows, or Nvidia updates their drivers.
Sorry, but that's the best advice I can give you right now. I know it's not much help, but it has been my experience with Vista. Also, are you telling Vista to treat the Celestia package (and installation) as a "Previous version-compatible" program? If so, do NOT... This causes all kinds of weird problems with Celestia. Simply install it as a normal Vista-compatible program.

Hope that helps somewhat. :wink:
Thanks, Bob

TheJollyRajah
With us: 16 years 3 months

Post #10by TheJollyRajah » 15.06.2008, 22:05

Bob,

would you know how to switch from "Previous version-compatible" to "normal vista-compatible"?

I'm experiencing the same problems as the gentleman above you.

(Sorry for bringing up a dead thread.)

BobHegwood

Post #11by BobHegwood » 15.06.2008, 22:35

TheJollyRajah wrote:Bob,
would you know how to switch from "Previous version-compatible" to "normal vista-compatible"?
I'm experiencing the same problems as the gentleman above you.
(Sorry for bringing up a dead thread.)

Well, if I recall correctly, the best way to do it is to uninstall your current version, and then reinstall it as a Vista program. I know that's a pain, but I believe that I had to do that one time when I first got this monster machine. Before you try that though, use your Windows Explorer to locate the program "celestia.exe" and then right-click on the file to see what's listed under the compatibility tab. If it is listed as being compatible with some earlier version of Windows, you can try to reverse this situation by unchecking the appropriate options wherever they are set.

One other note too... If you have defined Celestia as being compatible with a previous version of Windows, then you will find that there are a host of hidden compatibility files which are actually used by your Celestia installation. You have to change your folder settings so that you can view these hidden files, and they can also be very difficult to find. These usually reside in one of the User folders, for example, C:\Users\Bob Hegwood\AppData\Local\VirtualStore\Program Files\Celestia\ and the data used is located in C:\Users\Bob Hegwood\AppData\Local\VirtualStore\Program Data\Celestia\. You can also try to move these files back to their original locations under their respective locations in the C:\Program Files\Celestia directory, or you can simply delete them if you are going to reinstall Celestia as a native Vista application.

If I were you, I'd simply uninstall your current version, and then reinstall it as a Vista application. I know all of this sounds kind of complicated, but it weren't me who designed the new Vista Systems. :roll:

TheJollyRajah
With us: 16 years 3 months

Post #12by TheJollyRajah » 15.06.2008, 22:44

Well, I reinstalled it, and it seems to have done the trick.

I thank you very, very much Bob. :D

BobHegwood

Post #13by BobHegwood » 15.06.2008, 22:46

TheJollyRajah wrote:Well, I reinstalled it, and it seems to have done the trick.

I thank you very, very much Bob. :D

Damn... You mean I gave some good advice for once? :wink:
Good deal. I'm glad it worked for you.

EDIT: Here's another of those fascinating Vista features which took me about an hour to figure out today. After installing the latest releases from Microsoft yesterday, I have found that my "filenames" are just that... They are names which no longer include the file extension as part of the naming scheme we are used to.

Why does this matter? If your 3ds model is using a texture "named" soviet.jpg, it will no longer find this named file. Rather, it needs to find a file which is now named "soviet" and which has a "type" of jpg. I'll tell you... If you can avoid Vista, I would suggest it. This is the damnedest, most frustrating system I have ever had to deal with.

Another edit: Have found the solution now. Rests in one of the viewing options for file folders. Boy, what a mess.

Return to “Bugs”