Possible joystick bug and a request

Report bugs, bug fixes and workarounds here.
Topic author
PlasticMan
With us: 17 years 11 months

Possible joystick bug and a request

Post #1by PlasticMan » 08.02.2008, 18:16

I have tested this on 4 different computers and 3 different joysticks. Im fairly sure its not a hardware issue.

Here is whats happening. Plug in your joystick and give it a try.

First, move your joystick to the right or down(down should move the screen up), but only move the joystick slightly. Doing this should make your view turn very slow. Now try moving the joystick up or to the left. If your getting what i am getting, you wont be able to make very slow movements. Your view will suddenly jump. It seems there is no acceleration for up and left.

Im trying to make a fraps video and the twitchy movement makes it very frustrating!

Also, if the powers that be decide to look in to this, would you consider (while your in there) to make a few upgrades? Perhaps adding the roll movement to the twist handle axis?

sdudley
With us: 16 years 6 months

Post #2by sdudley » 05.03.2008, 19:17

Plasticman,

I am not sure if you ever resolved this issue or not, but if you look on page 27 in the manual you will see the notes that explain how to deal with this:

[i]"Note. The speed with which the view turns when you press the above keys is initially set at a particular value (120) in one of the files that Celestia uses to operate. That file is called celestia.cfg, and can be found in the main (root) directory of the Celestia folder. If you find that your view is turning too fast or too slowly for your taste when you press a movement key, that file can be opened by you and the Rotate Acceleration (turning speed) of the above keys can be lowered or increased. To do so, double-click on the file. If a menu comes up asking you which program you wish to use to open the document, choose ?€?WordPad?€

Topic author
PlasticMan
With us: 17 years 11 months

Post #3by PlasticMan » 06.03.2008, 16:24

Thankyou sdudley. I dident realize changing the cfg values effected joysticks. All it mentioned was keys. I will give it a try when I get home tonight.

Return to “Bugs”