Recovering lost stargen seeds?

Here you find pointers to utilities that help you create addons for Celestia.
Topic author
PlutonianEmpire M
With us: 19 years 8 months

Recovering lost stargen seeds?

Post #1by PlutonianEmpire » 21.07.2013, 05:10

I have an old ssc file from several years ago containing planets generated by stargen, for the star Sig Dra, but I can't remember the seed that was used for it. So is there any way to recover it? The html file that was co-generated is missing as well. :?

If there isn't a way, then make a way. :P Perhaps a utility that scans the ssc file for specifics, such as SMA, radii, number of planets, etc, and guesstimates the seed number?
Terraformed Pluto: Now with New Horizons maps! :D

omega13a M
With us: 12 years 7 months

Re: Recovering lost stargen seeds?

Post #2by omega13a » 21.07.2013, 18:53

I don't think what you want to accomplish is possible... Especially since Sigma Draconis is in both the Dole and Sol Station catalogs of predefined stars in Stargen and has a different mass in each catalog. In Sol Station's catalog, the mass is hard coded. In Dole's its calculated based on the luminosity which will give a different result base on what version of stargen you use.

Just out of curiosity, are you hoping to recreate the climates and atmospheres for the planets because if that is the case, there maybe an easier way though. I could enter in the planet data that I can get from your SSC file into my web application I use for my Omega Galaxy website and it would be able to get the climate and atmosphere stuff since it uses a lot of the algorithms from stargen. I'm sure there is a star in that galaxy that has a close enough luminosity to Sigma Draconis. If not, I can always add one...
A fish without a bicycle cannot contemplate his navel

My Celestia Add-ons
The Omega Galaxy

John Van Vliet
With us: 21 years 8 months

Post #3by John Van Vliet » 21.07.2013, 19:49

--- edit----
Last edited by John Van Vliet on 18.10.2013, 11:04, edited 1 time in total.

Topic author
PlutonianEmpire M

Post #4by PlutonianEmpire » 21.07.2013, 23:14

@ Omega, here's the zip containing the ssc file. It was made around 2006, and is heavily modified, but the original SMA and radii are there, and I used stargen's Solstation catalog for this one, since I always use the solstation catalog.

http://db.tt/cPuEqVMG

Unfortunately, I don't think atmospheric gases were selected for output in this one. :?

omega13a M
With us: 12 years 7 months

Post #5by omega13a » 22.07.2013, 04:54

I've managed to do the first three planets and two moons. You can see my progress at http://www.fedtrek.com/staff/omega13a/c ... ar=1125698 .
A fish without a bicycle cannot contemplate his navel

My Celestia Add-ons
The Omega Galaxy

Tegmine
With us: 13 years 2 months

Post #6by Tegmine » 22.07.2013, 11:42

You could try this...if you still have the .html of your system, if you right-click and hit "Open With" and select WordPad, it will open up the guts of the machine, so to speak. Buried within the top few lines, you should find the seed.

Example: (this is from one I've been chipping at)

Code: Select all

<!DOCTYPE HTML PUBLIC "-//W3C//DTD HTML 4.01 Transitional//EN"
        "http://www.w3.org/TR/html4/loose.dtd">
<html>
<head>
<meta http-equiv=content-type content='text/html; charset=utf-8'>
   <title>Pazhan System - stargen-62718007-1.35</title>
   <meta name='generator' content='stargen - $Revision: 1.47+seb $'>
<style type='text/css'>
<!--
table {border-color: #ffd;}
-->
</style>
<link rel='icon' type='image/png' href='../ref/favicon.png'>
</head>
<body bgcolor='#FFCC99' text='#330000' link='#990000' vlink='#330000' alink='#FF0000'>

<p>

<table border=3 cellspacing=2 cellpadding=2 align=center bgcolor='#FFE6CC' width='90%'>
<tr><th colspan=2 bgcolor='#FFE6CC' align=center>
   <font size='+2' color='#000000'><a href='../html/stargen-62718007-1.35.html'>Pazhan System </a></font></th></tr>
<tr bgcolor='#FFE6CC'><td colspan=2>

I hope that helps somewhat?

-M-

Tegmine

Post #7by Tegmine » 22.07.2013, 11:50

...And I've just stupidly realized that what one system a seed generates in StarGen, the same seed makes a completely different one in any other version... :oops:

Maybe I should wait for the coffee to kick in before trying to think...

-M-

Topic author
PlutonianEmpire M

Post #8by PlutonianEmpire » 22.07.2013, 15:46

So, stargen will use one seed to make a system, but a different version of the same program (stargen) will use the same seed to make a completely different system?

Also, I did mention that I couldn't find the html file that I used for the system I'm looking at.

Tegmine

Post #9by Tegmine » 25.07.2013, 12:01

IF you didn't alter the .ssc, it's possible that you could have the info in the first few lines...I haven't used the original StarGen for some time, so I can't remember how it displays info for its .ssc's. A bit of a long shot, but maybe???

-M-

PS..OK, I just took a peek at it...the prognosis is not good. Maybe you should try for "pretty darn close." (?)

Return to “Utilities”