Gurren's Discoveries (and Disprovals)

The home for finished/released addons.
Topic author
Gurren Lagann
With us: 6 years 3 months

Gurren's Discoveries (and Disprovals)

Post #1by Gurren Lagann » 06.03.2024, 00:58

So in recent years i've started doing some research of my own, with much-appreciated help and support of the Celestia community. Over time though, i ended up doing some discoveries (and disprovals) of my own! Some confirmed, some unconfirmed, and some based on or made alongside others.
Sirius_Alpha once jokingly said: "This is how new discoveries should be announced -- through Celestia addons." So with that out of the way...

ASTEROIDS
2021 PB130

The first little dot
2021PB130.png

A member of the Eulaila family of asteroids, 2021 PB130 is the dimmest object i've studied so far (Peak magnitude: 21.5-22). While i found it on the IASC campaigns, its unlikely that the discovery credit will go to me due to some MPEC 2010-U20 shenneningans. Still though, i feel proud of finding it in the first place.
In terms of numbering, I'm just one opposition away from getting it a chance of numbering per the MPC criteria. I'm not sure what Lowell's criteria think about it. It should be numbered by 2025 at most, possibly even this year.
2021 PB130.zip
(13.51 MiB) Downloaded 38 times

2023 HU18
Keeping Nyrath in good health
2023_HU18.png

This one is one i'm 100% confident in calling it mine. An inner MBA in an interesting 12:7 resonance with Mars, it likely has a relatively high albedo and small size. 2023 HU18 was the first asteroid candidate i put the international-based designation instead of the MCTI one (TGL0001), and to see it confirmed relatively quickly is nice to see!
2023 HU18.zip
(13.51 MiB) Downloaded 34 times

EXTRASOLAR
Przybylski's Star (V816 Cen C1)

Well, that's going to be a fun one to the media...
przyc1.png

This one is an interesting world to be sure if its real. Its a super-Jupiter orbiting at 4 AU from the star. The issue? That's just beyond Przy's habitable zone! I'm gonna hate the media's reaction to this if it gets confirmed.
Thankfully for me its only not confirmed because of two things:
- Przybylski's Star is a weird one. CCFs break down here so maybe SERVAL's custom CCFs based on existing spectra of the star work better for it.
- Przy is a rapidly oscilating Ap star. This gives a very scary thought: What if those are just systematics from the oscilations?
Przybylski's Star.zip
(10.48 MiB) Downloaded 30 times

ASASSN-V J213939.3-702817.4 (b/B?)
Wiki doesn't know, but i do
assasn-v_j2139393-7028174.png

Ah yes, the non-variable star which suddently dimmed by 70% and with no end in sight. Except of course it did, everyone just forgot about the star until today!
So now in 2024, we know it was caused by... a transit? And the transiting body would need to be the size of the Sun? That doesn't make sense!
Of course it doesn't, its astronomy. So i put two models: one with a disked planet/BD and one with a late M-type dwarf. Beautiful star, isn't it?
ASSASN-V J213939.3-702817.4.zip
(33.58 MiB) Downloaded 42 times

2MASS J06380069+1022493
...limit? LIMIT? I've got your limit RIGHT HERE!
2massj6380069+1022493.png

So this star is an SX Phoenicis variable. It pulsates every 20 or so minutes. SX Phe stars have spectral types between A and F. So you'd expect then to have a whitish blue color typical of "warm" stars. And since they're basically cousin variables of Delta Scuti variables, you'd expect that the limit would be just white, late F at most.

This star is K3V. I'm not kidding, just ask Gaia DR3. And apparently TESS photometry agrees: it really is an ultra cold SX Phe variable. How is this possible? No idea!
Of course i don't have anything else to say about it, its an otherwise unremarkable star.
2MASS J06380069+1022493.zip
(5.59 MiB) Downloaded 35 times

Added after 2 minutes 31 seconds:
K2-256 (b) and TYC 4941-622-1
Celestia is a planet killer
k2-256b.png

tyc4941-622-1.png

If i can't find worlds, why not just kill then, right? And what better place to start by killing a statistically validated planet along with ~130 other candidates because the exoplanet catalog got its monthly update. Good times.
Apparently TYC 4941 hid its secondary eclipses well enough to escape the validation algorithm's grasps and get its child confirmed. Good thing we caught then in broad daylight with Gaia data.
TYC 4941-622-1's STC was made by Sirius_Alpha.
K2-256.zip
(44.39 MiB) Downloaded 50 times

HD 166620 (PC1)
The Neptune that never was
hd166620pc1.png

Not everything is sunshine in exohunting. Sometimes you get far in testing all errors and it passed all checks, but it falls apart the second another database shows up. That's what happened to this world. Ahh APF...
No worries, just scream in bed at the thought of this Maunder Minimum star failing on you before sleeping, and then just press on for the next two years. "Just who in the hell do you think i am!"
Oh and it would had been disproven anyway by https://arxiv.org/abs/2308.01348. Eh.
HD 166620.zip
(24.64 MiB) Downloaded 45 times

There's some others but i'm withholding then for now. They're mostly part of a thing that's being worked on. I won't go into further details at the moment.
"The tomorrow we're trying to reach is not a tomorrow you had decided on!"
- Simon the Digger
"Nothing is impossible for me, as long I'm determinated to keep moving forward!"
"If other people aren't going to do it, I'm going to do it myself!"
- Me (Gurren)

Current major projects:
- Aur Cir
- Cel+
- Project Sisyphus
- Populating the Local Group
- An galaxy generator

Return to “Add-on releases”