realistic solar system (canceled)

The home for finished/released addons.
Topic author
Astronauta
With us: 1 year 9 months

realistic solar system (canceled)

Post #1by Astronauta » 14.07.2022, 02:05

Recently I'm working on realistic textures for the solar system, I'm also adjusting the textures' brightnesses, for example Pluto is quite far from the sun and has a huge glow, so I decided it wouldn't be a bad idea. For now, there are only two planets with modified textures, but I'll keep working to make Celestia's solar system realistic, not that it's not, but I'll make it better
Attachments
Solar System v1.0.zip
Solar system
(607.36 KiB) Downloaded 172 times
Screenshot_20220713-224216.png
Saturno
Screenshot_20220713-221941.png
Jupiter
Last edited by Astronauta on 14.07.2022, 22:21, edited 1 time in total.

Sirius_Alpha
With us: 5 years 1 month

Post #2by Sirius_Alpha » 14.07.2022, 02:15

In my 14-inch reflector, Jupiter looks a lot more like the default Celestia texture than this much contrast-enhanced texture. What is the standard you are using for what you determine to be "better" in terms of realism?
Exoplanet nerd. I maintain a monthly-updated exoplanet catalogue here:
https://celestia.space/forum/viewtopic.php?f=23&t=18705

SevenSpheres
With us: 4 years 7 months

Post #3by SevenSpheres » 14.07.2022, 02:17

Celestia/help/CelestiaGuide.html wrote:Why does the illumination level in Celestia not fall off the farther from the Sun I go - surely it should be very dark by the time I get to Pluto?

Answer:
The human eye can adapt to a very wide range of illuminations, so it wouldn't be as dark out there as you think – about the level of moderate indoor lighting, in which you can see very well. At the other end of the scale, your computer monitor is physically incapable of generating the brightness of illumination that pertains on the inner planets.

Fortunately it doesn't need to, since all that would happen would be that your pupils would constrict to reduce the incoming light to a more comfortable level.

So in summary:
a) There's no way Celestia can display "realistic" brightness on your computer screen,
b) such "realism" is unnecessary because your eyes merely adapt to compensate.

That's not to say attempts to show relative brightnesses in Celestia haven't been done occasionally, but it's not an increase in realism.

Also, your Jupiter appears to be using an enhanced-color texture - not a true-color one like the texture included in Celestia 1.7.0 by default.
My Addons: viewtopic.php?f=23&t=19978 • Discord server admin
Celestia versions: 1.5.1, 1.6.1, 1.6.2, 1.7.0, and some unofficial versions like Celestia-ED

Gurren Lagann
With us: 6 years 3 months

Post #4by Gurren Lagann » 14.07.2022, 02:19

(English) Actually mate, sorry, but those colors aren't reallistic. At all. Jupiter isn't THAT enhanced, Saturn is a bit paler, and Pluto only has that blue glow because... Well... Have you seen ANY New Horizons image of Pluto's atmosphere from the nightside?
(Português Brasileiro) Na verdade mano, desculpe, mas essas cores não são realistas. De jeito nenhum. Júpiter não ten TANTO contraste assim, Saturno é um pouquinho mais pálido, e Plutão tem aquele brilho azul porquê... Você já viu QUALQUER imagem da New Horizons da atmosfera de Plutão no lado noturno?
"The tomorrow we're trying to reach is not a tomorrow you had decided on!"
- Simon the Digger
"Nothing is impossible for me, as long I'm determinated to keep moving forward!"
"If other people aren't going to do it, I'm going to do it myself!"
- Me (Gurren)

Current major projects:
- Aur Cir
- Cel+
- Project Sisyphus
- Populating the Local Group
- An galaxy generator

Topic author
Astronauta
With us: 1 year 9 months

Post #5by Astronauta » 14.07.2022, 02:26

ah yes, I understand perfectly, as I'm not very good at textures, I'm trying to improve a little, the texture of Saturn I left it like that because I thought it would be cool, in the case of Jupiter, I understand that I increased the contrast too much and this will be resolved soon, because this is the first version of the Addon, I'm sorry

Added after 1 hour 9 minutes:
since the contrast was very high in jupiter, i went to change it, but when i test it on celestia, the planet is all white, and yes, i put it in the file to get the image, but i tried several times and that's all. Can someone help me? for now the project will be stopped and I will stay in other addons until I can solve this. and also in the part where I said realistic, it wasn't like being realistic like the images, but because of luminosity, for example, the planet further away would have a lower brightness.
Attachments
Screenshot_20220714-001901.png
Jupiter
If something seems impossible to you, don't give up because nothing in life is impossible if we persist.
-me (Efraim) This is own experience.

EarthMoon
With us: 1 year 10 months

Post #6by EarthMoon » 14.07.2022, 06:59

Check the SSC file and look for syntax errors.
Crew: "We are orbiting a black hole."
Control Center: "Do not fly too close to the black hole!"
Crew: "OH OOPS..."

Celestia versions:
1.6.3, 1.7.0 sRGB, 1.6.1 ED (plain)

Current projects:
Celestial (a Celestia-like program written in Python)

TheLostProbe
With us: 4 years

Post #7by TheLostProbe » 14.07.2022, 10:24

yeah those planets are nowhere near true-colour. also, it might just be me, but did you make saturn's rings a smidge too big?
"Carbon stars with ancient satellites colonized by sentient fungi. Gas giants inhabited by vast meteorological intelligences. Worlds stretched thin across the membranes where the dimensions intersect... impossible to describe with our limited vocabulary."
- Dr. Wallace Breen

Return to “Add-on releases”