SevenSpheres' Addons

The home for finished/released addons.
Topic author
SevenSpheres
With us: 4 years 7 months

Post #21by SevenSpheres » 18.10.2019, 23:13

Turns out that HD 114762 b, the "first exoplanet", is actually a star (source). I guess I'll have to reuse my texture for it...

In other news, I've made a GitHub repository for starnames.dat (and other Celestia star files) here. It's mainly just for me to keep track of my changes, but everyone from the forum is welcome to contribute. And yes, I will eventually add Lafuente_Astronomy's changes.
My Addons: viewtopic.php?f=23&t=19978 • Discord server admin
Celestia versions: 1.5.1, 1.6.1, 1.6.2, 1.7.0, and some unofficial versions like Celestia-ED

Lafuente_Astronomy
With us: 5 years 9 months

Post #22by Lafuente_Astronomy » 19.10.2019, 00:47

SevenSpheres wrote:In other news, I've made a GitHub repository for starnames.dat (and other Celestia star files) here. It's mainly just for me to keep track of my changes, but everyone from the forum is welcome to contribute. And yes, I will eventually add Lafuente_Astronomy's changes.

Thanks a lot! Though do you wish to finish the entire Bright Star Catalog? Aside from finishing the HR Designations, I still have to add all GCVS designations with HIP identities that have not been added to the file, as well as WR designations(Since a few Wolf-Rayet stars have HIP identities), and the Glies/Wolf/Glies-Jahreiss designations.

In the long run, I also hope that the AstroDB Branch, once merged into the Master Branch, will also allow me to name stars with TYC designations, especially those without HIP designations
Official Administrator of the Celestia Discord Server.
Invite: https://discordapp.com/invite/WEWDcJh
If you don't have a Discord account, register here: https://discordapp.com/register
Have a blessed day.

LukeCEL
With us: 6 years 7 months

Post #23by LukeCEL » 19.10.2019, 00:54

We may have discussed this before, but I feel that it would be easier and less time-consuming to just add a hrindex.dat, a sort of DAT file like hdindex.dat and saoindex.dat, but for the Bright Star Catalogue.

Also, Lafuente_Astronomy and SevenSpheres, how are you adding in the designations? Using some sort of program?

Lafuente_Astronomy

Post #24by Lafuente_Astronomy » 19.10.2019, 00:57

LukeCEL wrote:Also, Lafuente_Astronomy and SevenSpheres, how are you adding in the designations? Using some sort of program?

Actually, I just modify the starnames.dat directly using Wordpad
LukeCel, here it is.png

Added after 2 minutes 5 seconds:
And I'm not sure with SevenSpheres, but I actually don't have the knowledge to make an index.dat file, so that's why I'm just adding names by modifying the starnames.dat file
If you don't have a Discord account, register here: https://discordapp.com/register
Have a blessed day.

Topic author
SevenSpheres

Post #25by SevenSpheres » 19.10.2019, 01:34

Lafuente_Astronomy wrote:In the long run, I also hope that the AstroDB Branch, once merged into the Master Branch, will also allow me to name stars with TYC designations, especially those without HIP designations

You already can. Just add a line like this to starnames.dat:

Code: Select all

1006653162:Boyajian's Star:KIC 8462852

The first number is in Celestia's default format for TYC numbers. In this case it's TYC 3162-665-1.

LukeCEL wrote:We may have discussed this before, but I feel that it would be easier and less time-consuming to just add a hrindex.dat, a sort of DAT file like hdindex.dat and saoindex.dat, but for the Bright Star Catalogue.

Good idea. Why not ask the developers? I notice that celestia.cfg references a nonexistent "gliesexindex.dat"; maybe that should be added too?

LukeCEL wrote:Also, Lafuente_Astronomy and SevenSpheres, how are you adding in the designations? Using some sort of program?

Nope, I'm doing it all by hand...
Celestia versions: 1.5.1, 1.6.1, 1.6.2, 1.7.0, and some unofficial versions like Celestia-ED

LukeCEL
With us: 6 years 7 months

Post #26by LukeCEL » 19.10.2019, 21:11

SevenSpheres wrote:Good idea. Why not ask the developers? I notice that celestia.cfg references a nonexistent "gliesexindex.dat"; maybe that should be added too?

Okay, I just made a GitHub issue here. As for the Gliese index, that might be a good idea as well, but I think the glieseindex.dat must have been something that was once in there but later removed. If that's the case, we should consider why it was removed.

SevenSpheres wrote:Nope, I'm doing it all by hand...

Oh dear. Isn't that very time-consuming? (And possibly a little error-prone?)

Topic author
SevenSpheres

Post #27by SevenSpheres » 19.10.2019, 21:21

LukeCEL wrote:Oh dear. Isn't that very time-consuming? (And possibly a little error-prone?)

True. I don't know how I could write a program to do it, since I'm adding names to the file, not creating it from scratch.

Lafuente_Astronomy

Post #28by Lafuente_Astronomy » 19.10.2019, 22:38

LukeCEL wrote:Okay, I just made a GitHub issue here. As for the Gliese index, that might be a good idea as well, but I think the glieseindex.dat must have been something that was once in there but later removed. If that's the case, we should consider why it was removed.

That's great. We could also include other, lesser-known stellar catalogs in the consideration for making index.dat files.
Have a blessed day.

Topic author
SevenSpheres

Post #29by SevenSpheres » 01.12.2019, 22:37

Changes in first post: Updated the exoplanet and brown dwarf addons, including HD 114762 as a triple star system and ringed HIP 41378 f. Added Cygnus X-1 (since it was mentioned in Vision's addon thread) and PDS 70. I still have more exoplanet addons on my end that aren't here...

As for my Celestia-stars GitHub repository, it now has Gliese and variable star designations, but I haven't added HR designations in the hopes that a cross-index file can be made (although I do have a "test" branch with the HR designations added by Lafuente_Astronomy). There is also an updated nearstars.stc file made by LukeCEL.

Lafuente_Astronomy

Post #30by Lafuente_Astronomy » 01.12.2019, 23:12

SevenSpheres wrote:As for my Celestia-stars GitHub repository, it now has Gliese and variable star designations,

By Variable, does it include all the HIP and TYC stars with GCVS Designations?
Have a blessed day.

Topic author
SevenSpheres

Post #31by SevenSpheres » 01.12.2019, 23:21

Lafuente_Astronomy wrote:By Variable, does it include all the HIP and TYC stars with GCVS Designations?

I think it has all the HIP stars (all the ones from your/Luke's file anyway), but it doesn't have TYC stars.

Lafuente_Astronomy

Post #32by Lafuente_Astronomy » 02.12.2019, 04:37

Actually the file that Luke had actually lacks several GCVS members with HIP designations. You may want to find more of them if you wish. As for the TYC stars, they can be included in as well
Have a blessed day.

Topic author
SevenSpheres

Post #33by SevenSpheres » 02.01.2020, 22:12

ViDiBa-celx has been updated slightly to correspond to the latest Celestia Origin release.

Topic author
SevenSpheres

Post #34by SevenSpheres » 08.02.2020, 21:46

I've slightly updated the exoplanet addon again. PDS 70 is now part of that addon instead of a separate one. I've also added a file with some random binary/multiple stars that I've added to Celestia at various times. I should get around to finishing my brown dwarf catalog, although with the current star rendering bugs in 1.7.0 that's not really something I want to do right now.

Added after 3 hours 23 minutes:
Alright, I've updated the brown dwarf addon anyway. I've added a few binary/multiple systems from LukeCEL and Sirius_Alpha. I've also added the rogue planets from Celestia Origin (just for completeness), and a script to mark the locations of brown dwarfs. Note that this script will not work in the QT version - I've made a bug report for this.

Added after 1 hour 2 minutes:
I apparently forgot to add several files to the updated exoplanet and brown dwarf addons; please re-download them.

Topic author
SevenSpheres

Post #35by SevenSpheres » 23.02.2020, 23:39

SevenSpheres wrote:Note that this script will not work in the QT version - I've made a bug report for this.

This was a silly mistake; the script won't run because the Qt version doesn't have an installer yet. You can still run it from File -> Open Script.

Anyway, new addon: accurate SPICE orbits for Epimetheus and Janus! This was actually surprisingly easy to make. See the first post for the download. There is a strange bug where the moon orbits are drawn going all the way to Saturn's surface; I have no idea what causes this.

saturnspice.png

Topic author
SevenSpheres

Post #36by SevenSpheres » 25.02.2020, 00:31

MXB 1658-298 released, as seen in the Pictures Thread. (Download link in first post!)

Topic author
SevenSpheres

Post #37by SevenSpheres » 26.02.2020, 22:44

At the suggestion of Sirius_Alpha and with the help of LukeCEL, I've added the Gaia DR2 white dwarf catalog to Celestia: GaiaDR2_WDs.zip

Apparently I've reached a limit of 20 links in the OP...

Lafuente_Astronomy

Post #38by Lafuente_Astronomy » 29.02.2020, 10:56

SevenSpheres wrote:MXB 1658-298 released, as seen in the Pictures Thread. (Download link in first post!)

Specifically where? I checked your first post in Pictures from Celestia, and I didn't see any link related to it. Could you clarify where it is? Thanks

Added after 1 minute 37 seconds:
Nevermind, found it. But you should be more clear with that next time
Have a blessed day.

Topic author
SevenSpheres

Post #39by SevenSpheres » 29.02.2020, 16:26

The text "Pictures Thread" in the post you quoted is a link directly to my post with pictures of that system.

Added after 19 minutes 13 seconds:
Lafuente_Astronomy, I also edited some download links into my reply to you at the beginning of the thread as a workaround to the 20-link limit.

Lafuente_Astronomy

Post #40by Lafuente_Astronomy » 29.02.2020, 22:51

SevenSpheres wrote:The text "Pictures Thread" in the post you quoted is a link directly to my post with pictures of that system.

Well, If I remember. Your link in the post with the object's name in link here redirected me to the pictures, but not to where to download it. While you had your intentions, it may be confusing to some people, as I was confused where to go and what you meant by "first post", like "His first post here, or his first post in his addons topic?". Hence, I'm asking for more clarity in your words next time

SevenSpheres wrote:Added after 19 minutes 13 seconds:
Lafuente_Astronomy, I also edited some download links into my reply to you at the beginning of the thread as a workaround to the 20-link limit.

It's easy to solve that limit. Simply put any future links in your latest post. That way, there could be enough space for future links on that second post, etc. Or rather, you can just post your latest addons on the latest posts like the rest of us do. Not sure if there are any limits to the number of posts we can make in a topic but if "Spacecrafts From Celestia", the topic with the most posts, can still be posted on, then I guess it's ok to do just that. Just a suggestion
Have a blessed day.

Return to “Add-on releases”