Ultima Thule (MU69) model with NASA image

The home for finished/released addons.
Topic author
BorderShed
With us: 5 years 4 months

Ultima Thule (MU69) model with NASA image

Post #1by BorderShed » 06.01.2019, 22:44

The first two images of MU69 that NASA released a few days ago can be found in RAW form at
http://pluto.jhuapl.edu/soc/UltimaThule-Encounter/

http://pluto.jhuapl.edu/soc/UltimaThule-Encounter ... lor_0408622457_0x630_sci_6.jpg
http://pluto.jhuapl.edu/soc/UltimaThule-Encounter ... lor_0408624825_0x630_sci_7.jpg

The first was very long range thus very low res., the second one which was taken about 40minutes later and shows the rotation during that interval.
For interest I have made two versions of a 3d stereoscopic view
for cross-eye and/or parallel-eye viewing, ummv.

So, the main business of this post is to present,
(this is my learning Celestia & Anim8or exersize)
for your amusement,
[insert drum-roll :) ]
my Mk1 experimental Ultima Thule (aka 2014 MU69) model.
I am using its nickname "Ultima Thule" because, until NASA produce a proper map of it there is no point in pretending official names !
To this end my model is a sort of limit_of_knowledge thing, it has real visual from NASA with a uniform rubbishy bit in the unknown areas ( I did it first with black, but that was a bit disconcerting when viewed and rotated in Celestia) .

It is a bit shiny though, have to see what can be done about that in Mk2
UltimaThuleMk1.zip
(133.69 KiB) Downloaded 341 times

UTmk1.jpg

There is a lot of work yet to be done by the XYZ>UV mapping brigade. This version of the flat 2nd image wrapped round the two spheres leaves them so stretched as to be hardly recognizable ! The two prominent craters on the little end are just about visible.

I hope it works for you. Please let me know if you find any faults with it.

UTstereoPairs.png

Added after 47 minutes 45 seconds:
nasa textures dissected
anyone good with UV mapping hereabouts ?
swap you two NASA pics dissected for your use, in return for a dummies tutorial in UV mapping with A8or :biggrin:

These are the two I made (but with a better unknown_badlands_fill-in than earlier shown , I posted the wrong set !! ) that you might like to play with.
whilst we wait for a NASA map.

UltimaA.png
UltimaA.png (11.41 KiB) Viewed 8114 times

ThuleA.png
ThuleA.png (19.6 KiB) Viewed 8114 times
Last edited by BorderShed on 08.01.2019, 08:53, edited 4 times in total.

SpaceFanatic64
With us: 5 years 8 months

Post #2by SpaceFanatic64 » 07.01.2019, 01:49

There have recently been some pictures up close on the surface, but they probably aren't that relevant.

Topic author
BorderShed

Post #3by BorderShed » 07.01.2019, 02:02

SpaceFanatic64 wrote:There have recently been some pictures up close on the surface, but they probably aren't that relevant.

Link ?

Added after 9 minutes 16 seconds:
Ah ha NASA have been doing stereo pics as well, this one in anaglyph >

http://pluto.jhuapl.edu/Galleries/Featured-Images/pics/UT-approach-3D.jpg

Askaniy
With us: 6 years 7 months

Post #4by Askaniy » 07.01.2019, 21:49

Ok, I will help you with models and textures:

Models and textures of Ultima and Thule
Celestia Origin project member; GitHub: github.com/Askaniy, Flickr: flic.kr/ps/3X3sC2, DeviantArt: deviantart.com/askaniy

LukeCEL

Post #5by LukeCEL » 07.01.2019, 22:00

Askaniy wrote:Ok, I will help you with models and textures:

I'm actually interested in applying textures to models. How do you do it?

Topic author
BorderShed

Post #6by BorderShed » 08.01.2019, 00:04

Askaniy wrote:Ok, I will help you with models and textures:
thank you, very nice.
We have our name conventions reversed !
your Thule is very like my UltimaA that I posted above, except that I have mine flipped horizontally !
Yours is a good fit and displays the two 'pimples' on the little end very well.
I will re-do mine.

I would also be interested to learn how you distorted the 'flat' NASA image to wrap onto the 3d model, does Blender(?) have such a tool or did you use something else ?

Here are your textures mapped on to my embryo model, it fits very nicely, I guess from the filenames that you used Blender ? (I have not worked out what to do with your other bits yet :) ,, )

AskaniyUT.jpg

Askaniy

Post #7by Askaniy » 08.01.2019, 12:52

LukeCEL wrote:I'm actually interested in applying textures to models. How do you do it?
BorderShed wrote:I would also be interested to learn how you distorted the 'flat' NASA image to wrap onto the 3d model, does Blender(?) have such a tool or did you use something else ?
I am a beginner at this. I used "Texture Paint" mode in Blender with Snowfall's sphere. Before the final photo projection, I deformed (using "Sculpt Mode") the spheres to approximate their shape to the observable. If necessary, I can try to show with screenshots.

BorderShed wrote:We have our name conventions reversed! your Thule is very like my UltimaA that I posted above
Wikipedia:
It is a contact binary 31 km (19 mi) long, composed of two joined bodies 19 km (12 mi) and 14 km (9 mi) across that are nicknamed "Ultima" and "Thule", respectively.
Celestia Origin project member; GitHub: github.com/Askaniy, Flickr: flic.kr/ps/3X3sC2, DeviantArt: deviantart.com/askaniy

Topic author
BorderShed

Post #8by BorderShed » 08.01.2019, 14:35

Askaniy wrote:Wikipedia:
It is a contact binary 31 km (19 mi) long, composed of two joined bodies 19 km (12 mi) and 14 km (9 mi) across that are nicknamed "Ultima" and "Thule", respectively.

" We I have our my name conventions reversed " ! :biggrin:
thank you,nice find, I didnt think to look in Wiki :clap:

SpaceFanatic64
With us: 5 years 8 months

Post #9by SpaceFanatic64 » 09.01.2019, 02:21

Oh no.. I realized that the pictures that I thought were the surface were actually pictures of it from far away. I apologize for this very dumb blunder. :sad:

Joey P. M
With us: 6 years 6 months

Post #10by Joey P. » 13.11.2019, 19:51

2014 MU69 now has the official name "Arrokoth." But I like the old name better and it looks much more suitable.
Joey P.

Return to “Add-on releases”