Project "Celestia Origin"

The home for finished/released addons.
Janus
With us: 7 years 9 months

Post #21by Janus » 25.09.2017, 14:21

If anyone is still interested, I have put the file up.
Look in

http://celestia.simulatorlabbs.com/Downloads/Celestia-Origin/

Those who wish to use torrent, still can.
Those like me who who use it very rarely, or even not at all, still can.

Janus.

Topic author
Art Blos M
With us: 6 years 8 months

Post #22by Art Blos » 25.09.2017, 14:32

Janus wrote:If anyone is still interested, I have put the file up.
OK. But I remind you that across three months a new version will be released. Then you have to download it again.
Founder and head of the project "Celestia Origin"

selden
Developer
With us: 21 years 8 months

Post #23by selden » 25.09.2017, 20:18

It might be appropriate to make such Addons available on the MotherLode where they can be curated. Also, some people refuse to use torrents.
Selden

Janus

Post #24by Janus » 25.09.2017, 20:35

I am one of those people who decline to partake in the game of torrents.
Which is why I put the file up.
Since it is date coded, I can just keep adding them, no problem.

Could I also get one of the authors to use the Celestia_VS2013 directory on my site with the addon to make a stand alone.
I tried to make sense of it, but failed.
Though the expanded star catalog did work, 2+ million stars makes a difference.
Perhaps a 'Celestia VS2013_64 Origin' on a thumb drive.
I can then put it up, letting everyone have a clean portable copy to play with, evaluate, or just enjoy.

Janus.

Edited for spelling.
Last edited by Janus on 26.09.2017, 04:05, edited 1 time in total.

Topic author
Art Blos M

Post #25by Art Blos » 26.09.2017, 03:55

If anyone has the ability to download each new version on Celestia Motherlode or somewhere else, I'm not against. On the release day I have so many worries.

Added after 2 hours 42 minutes:
A small clarification for the main post. Besides asteroids we also have 63 minor-planet moons.

AsterMoon1.png
Asteroids with moons
AsterMoon2.png
(3749) Balam
AsterMoon3.png
(136617) 1994 CC
AsterMoon4.png
(45) Eugenia
AsterMoon5.png
(120347) Salacia

In the next version will be added two moons (3122) Florence. :wink:

CM1215 M

Post #26by CM1215 » 26.09.2017, 12:17

I kinda want what Janus wants. I love what you did, but I don't like the torrent files. I don't trust the program that is necessary to use such files...my antivirus program picks it up as a threat.

Thanks Janus for putting that file up. I hope you can do the same with the new version when it comes out December 30th.
CM1215: Celestial master in learning.

Topic author
Art Blos M

Post #27by Art Blos » 26.09.2017, 12:23

CM1215 wrote:I kinda want what Janus wants. I love what you did, but I don't like the torrent files. I don't trust the program that is necessary to use such files...my antivirus program picks it up as a threat.
The thing is that illegal content is often spread through torrents. In torrents as such and in the program uTorrent there is nothing dangerous.
But if you are afraid, Janus has already posted a direct link (look above).

John Van Vliet
With us: 21 years 8 months

Post #28by John Van Vliet » 26.09.2017, 16:26

I am one of those people who decline to partake in the game of torrents.
WTF
the GAME of ??????

there are a ton on NON copyright infringing files -- if that is your issue
including THIS TORRENT!!!!

if not, then WHAT is your problem with a GREAT protocol that MINIMIZES network overload and distributes the network connections and prioritizes the ones that are physically nearest to you

Janus

Post #29by Janus » 26.09.2017, 17:28

John Van Vliet wrote:I am one of those people who decline to partake in the game of torrents.

WTF
the GAME of ??????

there are a ton on NON copyright infringing files -- if that is your issue
including THIS TORRENT!!!!

if not, then WHAT is your problem with a GREAT protocol that MINIMIZES network overload and distributes the network connections and prioritizes the ones that are physically nearest to you

I meant no disrespect, I was making a joke.
I am well aware that torrents are just a protocol.
Writing a crude client for network load testing was actually a fun exercise.
Customer needed to stress test a traffic shaping router, so we put up 24 machines with multi gb data sets, cross seeded them all with each other, then tried to browse the web while they all got all of the files from each other.
Some were one big file, others were a collection of smaller files.
That was a very educational job.

However, I have seen torrents disrupt networks because of the large number of connections.
I have also experienced getting kicked off of networks because the traffic pattern profiled as a bot or bot controller to the network monitor.
Even without being able to read the contents, the pattern of connections resembles a command and control hub.
Flaky ISPs, which is basically all of them in the US, and a great many in other places, also flag you based on connection pattern, not just contents.

The sandvine system, which is what most traffic monitors are or are based on, does more than just deep packet inspection.
Connection count, band width, initiator, connection time per address, all of these are part of what it does.
In a properly configured network, the torrent protocol does reduce spikes, but the internet is many networks, and few are well maintained.

I repeat, I was making a joke.
I had just read an article about how GOT is under pressure from 'Discovery', which may make the top ten in a single day, and thought it was funny.
If it was in poor taste, my apologies, it was intended to be laughed at.

Also, on my connection, torrents do not work well anyway.
I have good bandwidth down, but horrid lag, and very limited upload.
Running a torrent client on my connection and trying to seed, cuts my download speed by 50 to 75 percent.
It is a by product of asymmetric connections that upload usage reduces download speed by several to one.
More to do with network topology, which is a business decision, than technology.
There are simply people out there who will be profiled based on connection pattern alone, and be either kicked off, or have their apportion of bandwidth reduced.
Traffic shaping is a reality, and in many cases, a necessity.
The game if you will, is whether or not you get traffic shaped or cut off by a machine for the sin of trying to get free legal content without going through one of the gate keepers they can make money from.

If some people are still offended, I will go back and edit out the joke.

Janus.

Topic author
Art Blos M

Post #30by Art Blos » 26.09.2017, 18:30

On October 1, we will begin to prepare a new version. If you have any suggestions about new objects, found errors or there are other comments, write right away. If you want to leave your addons for inclusion in the collection, we will consider any suggestions. :smile:

CM1215 M

Post #31by CM1215 » 27.09.2017, 13:24

I have a couple suggestions:

A Uranus Surface Texture of at least 2k (If possible)
A 3d Iapetus model (again, if possible)

Topic author
Art Blos M

Post #32by Art Blos » 27.09.2017, 13:32

CM1215 wrote:A Uranus Surface Texture of at least 2k (If possible)
It's possible, but does it make sense? Uranus is almost without noticeable details.

CM1215 wrote:A 3d Iapetus model (again, if possible)
I very much want this model myself! But unfortunately so far NASA has not provided anything.
Make it by yourself will be very difficult.

CM1215 M

Post #33by CM1215 » 27.09.2017, 20:28

I have one more suggestion.

Your 2k textures of Ariel, Umbriel, Titania, and Oberon are probably my favorite part of this addon. Would it be possible to make the textures 4k? (I may be asking too much...)

Topic author
Art Blos M

Post #34by Art Blos » 28.09.2017, 04:25

CM1215 wrote:Your 2k textures of Ariel, Umbriel, Titania, and Oberon are probably my favorite part of this addon. Would it be possible to make the textures 4k?
Sources were is 2k. More qualitative specimens that would not destroy the naturalness, I did not come across.
The current textures are also far from ideal, but there is nothing better yet. :sad:

CM1215 M

Post #35by CM1215 » 28.09.2017, 12:27

Ah well...these 2k textures will do until there are better textures available. Also, If you want a 3d model of Iapetus, Fenerit has made a model, but it only includes the equatorial ridge, and it cannot have both a texture and a normalmap. You can find it here: https://celestiaproject.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=14325&p=117849&hilit=iapetus+3d+cmod#p117849

Another thing. The fictional side of your texture of Oberon is too bright compared to the known areas. It makes it look unnatural.

One last thing. On the only good Uranus texture maps, the poles are a brownish color, which is not what I see in the Voyager 2 images, where the poles appear to be a lighter blue than the rest of the surface. I would love to see a Uranus texture map with the poles being a light blue.

Topic author
Art Blos M

Post #36by Art Blos » 28.09.2017, 12:36

CM1215 wrote:Ah well...these 2k textures will do until there are better textures available. Also, If you want a 3d model of Iapetus, Fenerit has made a model, but it only includes the equatorial ridge, and it cannot have both a texture and a normalmap. You can find it here: viewtopic.php?f=6&t=14325&p=117849&hilit=iapetus+3d+cmod#p117849
Yes, I know about this model and specifically did not take it. Beside the purpose.

CM1215 wrote:Another thing. The fictional side of your texture of Oberon is too bright compared to the known areas. It makes it look unnatural.
Maybe so, but I could not do it any other way.

CM1215 wrote:One last thing. On the only good Uranus texture maps, the poles are a brownish color, which is not what I see in the Voyager 2 images, where the poles appear to be a lighter blue than the rest of the surface. I would love to see a Uranus texture map with the poles being a light blue.
"only good Uranus texture maps" Can you specify what texture is being discussed?

Added after 27 minutes 31 seconds:
I understood that we are talking about our current texture. Quite correct remark.

A few minutes ago I found this kind of thing. What say? :wink:
Attachments
uranus.jpg

CM1215 M

Post #37by CM1215 » 28.09.2017, 13:12

Thanks, but I already found this texture. Colorwise it looks excellent, but the very small bands on the texture look a bit strange. I was hoping there was a texture without these bands.

Topic author
Art Blos M

Post #38by Art Blos » 28.09.2017, 13:17

CM1215 wrote:I was hoping there was a texture without these bands.
If you look closely, the photo also has barely noticeable stripes.
pia18182-uranus-voyager1.png
Uranus in 1986 year

CM1215 M

Post #39by CM1215 » 28.09.2017, 13:52

I guess you're right...I can see slight bands. I'll learn to live with that map. I happened to stumble across a Uranus Cloud map when searching for a better Uranus texture map. I got it from a mod for the game/program known as Kerbal Space Program. It gives Uranus a little bit more detail and makes it a bit more interesting.

Here it is:
UranusCloudsLow.zip
(30.94 KiB) Downloaded 177 times

Topic author
Art Blos M

Post #40by Art Blos » 28.09.2017, 14:00

CM1215 wrote:I'll learn to live with that map.
We will improve it a little.

CM1215 wrote:Here it is:UranusCloudsLow.zip
Well, I'll take a look. Although I did not plan to add a separate cloud layer to gas giants.

Return to “Add-on releases”