PSR J1719-1438 & The "Diamond Planet" [Addon]

The home for finished/released addons.
Topic author
CM1215 M
With us: 6 years 8 months

PSR J1719-1438 & The "Diamond Planet" [Addon]

Post #1by CM1215 » 05.09.2017, 15:51

Greetings.

I have made an addon that adds the millisecond pulsar PSR J1719-1438 and its known planetary companion, PSR J1719-1438b, nicknamed the "Diamond Planet" due to it's carbon composition and high density. It is an addon I made a year or two ago, and it hasn't been changed since. Here are some screenshots:
PSR J1719-1438.jpg

PSR J1719-1438b.jpg

I know, the texture is very basic, but I'm not very good at making textures that aren't based off of already created textures. If only I could get a better texture...

Here is the download link: https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B5A59f3et_cJLUxZeE1DZG5RdDg/view?usp=sharing&resourcekey=0-HhWtlpWCeNnhneVwBBMibA

Edit 4/20/2022: Link Fixed.

If there is anything you think needs changed, please let me know.

Also, let me know what you think of it.

Enjoy!
Last edited by CM1215 on 20.04.2022, 23:00, edited 1 time in total.
CM1215: Celestial master in learning.

SVision M
With us: 7 years 8 months

Post #2by SVision » 08.09.2017, 12:19

The addon turned out very nice :smile: , but not completely scientific.
PSR 1719-1413 is a neutron star and they are extremely hot and the object identified as PSR 1719-1413 is very close to its companion (0.004 a.u) and makes a full turn in 2 hr 10 min. This means that the exoplanet is at a distance of 95 less than the distance from the Sun to Mercury :eek: . Yes, and the mass with the radius is wrong with you. The real estimate is close to 1 mass of Jupiter at a radius of 0.4 the radius of Jupiter. Judging from the density - oxygen, most likely, predominates on the surface of the planet, and carbon concentrates in depth. The enormous pressure acting on the planet suggests that the carbon crystallizes, forming (possibly) a diamond. According to calculations, its average density is about 23 g / cm³, that is, it is much denser than gas giants. The nature of the object is controversial. According to scientists, most likely it is a former white dwarf from which the pulsar "pulled" about 99.9% of the substance, leaving only its superdense core and turning it into such an exotic planet. Probably the pulsar will eventually destroy this world with its gravitational influence :sad: .

Added after 3 minutes 10 seconds:
CM1215 wrote:I know, the texture is very basic, but I'm not very good at making textures that aren't based off of already created textures. If only I could get a better texture...
Go here. Here you can find a lot of interesting information :wink:

Topic author
CM1215 M

Post #3by CM1215 » 08.09.2017, 13:19

I'll see what I can do...

I thought the distance was correct on my addon. The planet's radius was about 3000 km off, though. I fixed that easily. I don't believe you can input mass and density into the SSC file.

selden
Developer
With us: 21 years 8 months

Post #4by selden » 08.09.2017, 20:05

You can include a Mass statement, but Celestia ignores it. If you include a Mass statement, it would be just to help people understand the values of the parameters that Celestia does use. In particular, the correct values of Period and SemiMajorAxis have to be calculated by you.
Selden

SVision M
With us: 7 years 8 months

Post #5by SVision » 12.09.2017, 22:52

selden wrote:You can include a Mass statement, but Celestia ignores it. If you include a Mass statement, it would be just to help people understand the values of the parameters that Celestia does use. In particular, the correct values of Period and SemiMajorAxis have to be calculated by you.
Selden all correctly answered :smile: . Sorry that did not answer because there is a little time and I rarely go there
Hmm ... I have a question. Is THIS REAL TEMPERATURE :eek: ??? This is not an error in Celestia???
iWNdM_U5zr4.jpg

:eek: If this really is the true temperature, then this "planet" will be where the temperature of the blue stars is of the main sequence, and even this is the absolute temperature record...KELT-9b and (especially) WASP-33b are not standing nearby. Is the Kepler-70 planets and planetary pulsar Lich(PSR B1257+12)

Added after 1 minute 43 seconds:
Maybe this is indeed the remainder of the white dwarf?

selden
Developer
With us: 21 years 8 months

Post #6by selden » 12.09.2017, 23:32

I suspect it's wrong. My understanding is that Celestia's temperature calculation is relatively simple and can't handle large extremes. Unfortunately, "Temperature" seems to be another SSC entry which Celestia (both v1.6.1 and v1.7) ignores.
Selden

Topic author
CM1215 M

Post #7by CM1215 » 20.04.2022, 23:01

For those who have been trying to download the addon and couldn't because of the broken link, the link has been updated and should work now.

Best,

trappistplanets
With us: 3 years 10 months

Post #8by trappistplanets » 20.04.2022, 23:21

CM1215 wrote:For those who have been trying to download the addon and couldn't because of the broken link, the link has been updated and should work now.
although not fully realistic i think i can make ya a good texture, want it to look like a giant diamond, or a blue tinted rocky terrestrial?
There is a limit to how far we can travel into the stars.
Owner of "The Grand Voyage" addon series
Collaborating with Dangerous_safety for the still developing Cer system

Topic author
CM1215 M

Post #9by CM1215 » 28.04.2022, 18:28

trappistplanets wrote:although not fully realistic i think i can make ya a good texture, want it to look like a giant diamond, or a blue tinted rocky terrestrial?
Apologies for the late reply. I wasn't expecting to get an offer to make a texture after this long since I first uploaded this addon. Nevertheless, I am very thankful for your offer.

I agree that making it appear like a giant diamond, although what I was intending with my original texture to some extent, would not be realistic. I also think that making it bluish tinted, as I did, would not be realistic for carbon either (the blue tint I used came from the Minecraft diamond, strangely enough). Perhaps a somewhat realistic texture would be a coal- or graphite-like terrestrial surface with patches of crystal peeking out from underneath the coal-black/brown surface.

I thank you again for your offer, and I am curious to see what you'll come up with from my description.

Thanks,

trappistplanets
With us: 3 years 10 months

Post #10by trappistplanets » 29.04.2022, 10:56

CM1215 wrote:I agree that making it appear like a giant diamond, although what I was intending with my original texture to some extent, would not be realistic. I also think that making it bluish tinted, as I did, would not be realistic for carbon either (the blue tint I used came from the Minecraft diamond, strangely enough). Perhaps a somewhat realistic texture would be a coal- or graphite-like terrestrial surface with patches of crystal peeking out from underneath the coal-black/brown surface.
hmmm.....i'll talk to Dangerous safety about this and see if he can tell me the possible outcomes for looks

Added after 2 minutes 46 seconds:
also, one more thing, i can modify the code for you so its compatable with TOM's catalog if its already not so (meaning you need the catalog for it to work), this will avoid duplicate planets in celestia for those with your addon and tom's catalog

Added after 55 seconds:
i could even turn this into a Grand Voyage addon, and credit you as the original addon was by you
There is a limit to how far we can travel into the stars.
Owner of "The Grand Voyage" addon series
Collaborating with Dangerous_safety for the still developing Cer system

Return to “Add-on releases”