Celestia-ED vs. Celestia 1.4.1 + patch

General discussion about Celestia that doesn't fit into other forums.
Topic author
exadvent
With us: 18 years

Celestia-ED vs. Celestia 1.4.1 + patch

Post #1by exadvent » 08.07.2006, 01:22

From what I have read, Celestia-ED contains all the functions included in the patch for Celestia (Overlay, Sound, etc.). Is there any real difference between the two installations? :? If so which installation is better? :? Or does it depend on the way you are using Celestia? :?

I am currently using Celestia-ED with no problems, not even getting other add-ons to work, so I am wondering if there is any reason to change.

Thanks for taking the time to answer a confused newbie, and for creating a great program with wonderful add-ons. :D
System:
Windows: Windows XP5.1
Memory (RAM): 512 MB
CPU Info: AMD Athlon(tm) 64 Processor 3200+
CPU Speed: 783.3 MHz
Display Adapters: NVIDIA GeForce FX 5200

Adirondack M
With us: 20 years 4 months

Post #2by Adirondack » 10.07.2006, 06:50

exadvent,

if you want my opinion, it depents on the way you want to use Celestia.
Celestia-ED uses different configuartion files to run the included activities, so only the required files for an activity will be loaded (when you use the shortcuts).
So Celestia-ED is better in order to run the activities. Celestia (standard installation + patch) is better if you want to use it for your own.

I think Frank will add some more information about his ED-version here soon.

Adirondack
We all live under the same sky, but we do not have the same horizon. (K. Adenauer)
The horizon of some people is a circle with the radius zero - and they call it their point of view. (A. Einstein)

fsgregs
With us: 21 years 8 months

Post #3by fsgregs » 14.07.2006, 02:48

exadvent:

Currently, the only major difference between Celestia141-ED and the patched version of Celestia is in galaxy rendering. The tint and color saturation of Celestia-patch was a bit too bright for my taste, so I asked Vincent to tone it down and provide me the application without it. I have been with the Celestia project for three years and I believe Celestia-ED is the best of all worlds.

As you may know, Vincent has been at work adding a few new features to the Celestia-patched version. It is now up to version 3. I like those features and am already incorporating them into an updated version of Celestia-ED. As soon as Vincent comes back from vacation, he is sending me that new version of Celestia-ED, which I will then announce and post on the Motherlode to replace the existing one. You will not have to replace all the files. There will be a patch.zip file that will update all the educational activities automatically. Watch for it on the forum (perhaps a month away).

Another difference between the two versions is the config file that they use. Celestia-ED uses a config file that tells Celestia to launch using some higher resolution textures and models. For example, Celestia-ED will load a much higher res version of almost all of the planets, including two high res versions of Earth. If you use Celestia-patch, only the default medium res version of Earth is loaded (unless you edit that cfg file).

I suggest you keep Celestia-ED and use it for all of your Celestia experiences. Then, watch for Celestia-ED version 3 to come out in a few weeks. I will announce it here on the forum and in the motherlode.

Regards

Frank

Topic author
exadvent
With us: 18 years

Post #4by exadvent » 15.07.2006, 20:48

Sounds great. :D I will watch for it with great anticipation. :D
System:

Windows: Windows XP5.1

Memory (RAM): 512 MB

CPU Info: AMD Athlon(tm) 64 Processor 3200+

CPU Speed: 783.3 MHz