Celestia add ons

General discussion about Celestia that doesn't fit into other forums.
Topic author
beal
With us: 18 years 11 months

Celestia add ons

Post #1by beal » 10.10.2005, 02:05

I knew these add ons were too good to be true. I love Celestia. I have told many people that it is like having your own private starship. However, the "information" on how to install the addon- the one I tried was solar system moons- was monumentally, profoundly lacking in any information useful to someone who isn't fluent in machine language and deep Windows functions. I waited almost an hour for this file to DL and can do nothing with it. I'm sure not going to try DLing any others only to have useless files clogging my hard drive, even if I DO have 200GB free.
Any sufficiently advanced technology would be indistinguishable from magic.

Dollan
With us: 20 years 9 months

Post #2by Dollan » 10.10.2005, 04:23

First off, *which* solar system moon add-on? More information please, or we simply can't help you.

In general, though, add-ons typically go in the "extras" folder of Celestia, and more often than not you can unzip them directly into the Celestia directory, and they will find their own way.

...John...
"To make an apple pie from scratch, you must first create the universe..."
--Carl Sagan

hank
Developer
With us: 22 years 7 months

Re: Celestia add ons

Post #3by hank » 10.10.2005, 04:26

beal wrote:I knew these add ons were too good to be true. I love Celestia. I have told many people that it is like having your own private starship. However, the "information" on how to install the addon- the one I tried was solar system moons- was monumentally, profoundly lacking in any information useful to someone who isn't fluent in machine language and deep Windows functions. I waited almost an hour for this file to DL and can do nothing with it. I'm sure not going to try DLing any others only to have useless files clogging my hard drive, even if I DO have 200GB free.

In what way does the addon installation require fluency in machine language or deep Windows functions? If you were more specific about the problems you're having, someone might be able to help.

- Hank

ar81
With us: 19 years 3 months

Post #4by ar81 » 10.10.2005, 11:04

Well, normally you would unzip those files into the EXTRAS folder. But some other add ons require to place files manually.

alphap1us
With us: 20 years 9 months

Post #5by alphap1us » 10.10.2005, 16:44

Hi,

Could you tell me what is incomplete or too technical about the instructions at http://celestiamotherlode.net/install_howto.html ? Please try to be as specific as possible, and I will update the page to make it easier for you and other newcomers to get up to speed quickly.

Cheers,
Joe

Return to “Celestia Users”