Adding "surface" bases

General discussion about Celestia that doesn't fit into other forums.
Topic author
JeffBlack
With us: 22 years 3 months

Adding "surface" bases

Post #1by JeffBlack » 23.02.2002, 22:33

I was trying to add a mesh of a starport i got off the net. I thought that if i add it as a satellite and give it a zero altitude, it might just work. It didnt. It may have been the figures that i used, cause i am new to this and am just getting used to adding stuff to it. Is my idea possible? If it is, can anyone offer any tips. Also, i would like to ask chris if he is going to add the option to look in a differnt direction to the one that you are travelling, cause i dont seem to be able to do this.

JB

chris
Site Admin
With us: 22 years 3 months

Adding "surface" bases

Post #2by chris » 25.02.2002, 00:52

JeffBlack wrote:I was trying to add a mesh of a starport i got off the net. I thought that if i add it as a satellite and give it a zero altitude, it might just work. It didnt. It may have been the figures that i used, cause i am new to this and am just getting used to adding stuff to it. Is my idea possible? If it is, can anyone offer any tips. Also, i would like to ask chris if he is going to add the option to look in a differnt direction to the one that you are travelling, cause i dont seem to be able to do this.

There's no real support for surface bases in Celestia yet. This is another feature that I'm saving for a future version. You should be able to approximate it with a satellite with zero altitude. But remember--the semi-major axis that you put in the .ssc file is the distance of the satellite from the center of the planet. So if you want to place something on the surface, you should set the semi-major axis equal to the planet's radius. In fact, you'll probably want to place it a few meters above the planet's surface.

--Chris

Jeff Black

Nearly there!

Post #3by Jeff Black » 25.02.2002, 15:25

I tried what u said, and i got the starport at 0 altituse. However, I couldnt be sure wheter or not the orbit was geosync. It was also at a funny angle. Do i just have to give the satellite the same rotation as the planet? Any figures would be helpful. Thanks.

JB

Return to “Celestia Users”