Orion in 3-d

General discussion about Celestia that doesn't fit into other forums.
Topic author
draper10701
With us: 19 years 6 months

Orion in 3-d

Post #1by draper10701 » 21.06.2005, 06:20

Ive been all over the place (on the web),trying to find out a good way to depict the stars of a constellation as they truly lie in three-dimensional space,not just the line of sight formation that we recognise .For the most part I'm drawing blanks.I found something called "virtual orion"which seemed to be what I'm talking about ,but all the links weree dead.Is there any way to use celestia to do this?

t00fri
Developer
With us: 22 years 5 months

Re: Orion in 3-d

Post #2by t00fri » 21.06.2005, 07:20

draper10701 wrote:Ive been all over the place (on the web),trying to find out a good way to depict the stars of a constellation as they truly lie in three-dimensional space,not just the line of sight formation that we recognise .For the most part I'm drawing blanks.I found something called "virtual orion"which seemed to be what I'm talking about ,but all the links weree dead.Is there any way to use celestia to do this?

Since Celestia uses the Hipparcos star data base, there is information about the distances of the stars included. Since the asterisms in Celestia are "attached" to the stars, the constallation figures can be viewed in 3D.

Bye Fridger

Return to “Celestia Users”