I would just like to say.......

General discussion about Celestia that doesn't fit into other forums.
Topic author
JeffBlack
With us: 22 years 4 months

I would just like to say.......

Post #1by JeffBlack » 23.02.2002, 15:09

:D I would like to congratulate the people at Shatters.net on such an absolutely FANTASTIC program. I was making a mod for Orbiter based on the old Elite games, but now i am completely dedicated to this project, and the fact that it is open source is the icing on the cake. Yesterday, i put a ringed planet in the Ross 154 system called Aster (where have you heard that before), and a moon with an atmos called Merlin. The resulting renders where beautiful, a truly alien landscape that i could spend hours just staring at. I do have a couple of questions though.

1: Why does it run so slow when you get really close to a planet, even if there is very little detail on the screen. I am using a 700mhz duron with 256 mb of ram and a 64mb G-Force 2 MX.

2: Has anybofy done any work on controlling a craft. If not, i would be happy to start digging into the code and seeing what i can do.

Once again, thankyou for such a terrific program!

JB

donkey

Post #2by donkey » 23.02.2002, 20:47

Try turning off vertex and pixel shaders for the slowness. At least for me it works.

chris
Site Admin

Post #3by chris » 25.02.2002, 00:34

1: Why does it run so slow when you get really close to a planet, even if there is very little detail on the screen. I am using a 700mhz duron with 256 mb of ram and a 64mb G-Force 2 MX.

There are potentially a lot of triangles rendered when you're very close to a planet. Version 1.2.2 has an improved culling algorithm that does a better job of skipping triangles that lie outside the field of view--hopefully this will improve performance for you. What sort of frame rates are you seeing? It's possible that vertex program emulation on the GeForce2 is causing the slowdown. Could you post your frame rates with and without vertex shaders enabled?

--Chris

MB

Post #4by MB » 25.02.2002, 08:30

I got the same slowing down with the shader per pixe l"on" but everything is OK when I put it "of". This happen with my two PC (Duron 700 and bi-pro two Celeron 500) both with 32 M GE Force2
MB.

Return to “Celestia Users”