add-ons spoils the unknown

General discussion about Celestia that doesn't fit into other forums.
Topic author
Polchey
With us: 20 years 6 months

add-ons spoils the unknown

Post #1by Polchey » 18.04.2005, 17:07

One of the notible things about Celestia is that it can be customized, unlike comercial software that is fixed and can't be changed. For me the problem with customizing Celestia is that by placing add-ons myself into Celestia I don't discover anything new about the universe because I already know what I'm placing there. I would discover what's new about the universe once I go to a website that hosts an add-on and read its description. Think of it this way - you play a particular video game for the first time. It's a game where you explore vast unkown regions and find hidden secrets. But before you play the game you read the walkthrough of whats in it and where its secrets are at. Well now the game is no fun because we know its secrets. That's how I feel about using add-ons in Celestia.

selden
Developer
With us: 21 years 9 months

Post #2by selden » 18.04.2005, 17:35

I think that's the reason I have enjoyed making Addons. In the process of getting the details right I've learned more about Astronomy and about graphics.
Selden

Sky Pilot
With us: 19 years 6 months
Location: Moved recently from the Bihem System, now in Fort Worth, Texas, USA

Post #3by Sky Pilot » 18.04.2005, 17:37

Well, one idea is that you could download and install ALL of Frank Gregorio's wonderful Educational Activities for Celestia. This will give you a boatlode of add-ons that you know nothing about -- many of them are the best of the best add-ons available for Celestia. Then go exploring.
"In the beginning the Universe was created. This has made a lot of people very angry and been widely regarded as a bad move."

rthorvald
With us: 20 years 8 months

Re: add-ons spoils the unknown

Post #4by rthorvald » 18.04.2005, 19:31

Polchey wrote:Well now the game is no fun because we know its secrets. That's how I feel about using add-ons in Celestia.

Ahem... What makes you think there aren??t secrets hidden - deliberately - in addons? :-)

-rthorvald

ElChristou
Developer
With us: 19 years 4 months

Post #5by ElChristou » 18.04.2005, 20:00

rthorvald wrote:
Polchey wrote:Well now the game is no fun because we know its secrets. That's how I feel about using add-ons in Celestia.
Ahem... What makes you think there aren??t secrets hidden - deliberately - in addons? :-)

-rthorvald

ah, ahhh... this sounds interesting.... :wink:

t00fri
Developer
With us: 22 years 3 months

Post #6by t00fri » 18.04.2005, 20:40

Polchey wrote:One of the notible things about Celestia is that it can be customized, unlike comercial software that is fixed and can't be changed. For me the problem with customizing Celestia is that by placing add-ons myself into Celestia I don't discover anything new about the universe because I already know what I'm placing there. I would discover what's new about the universe once I go to a website that hosts an add-on and read its description. Think of it this way - you play a particular video game for the first time. It's a game where you explore vast unkown regions and find hidden secrets. But before you play the game you read the walkthrough of whats in it and where its secrets are at. Well now the game is no fun because we know its secrets. That's how I feel about using add-ons in Celestia.

That sounds amazing...

Either you have a quite superficial approach to Celestia ...
or you are kind of a genius.

For example, I am a theoretical physicist with decades of professional experience, an outstanding background in Astrophysics and Cosmology and a developer and author of Celestia. During the last 3 years in this community, I have always come across plenty of new challenges that at least presented some non-trivial homework to me...

I could easily keep you busy for a while with suggestions to work on ;-) . I bet you won't know the answers beforehand.

Bye Fridger

Return to “Celestia Users”