hires, medres, and lores

General discussion about Celestia that doesn't fit into other forums.
Topic author
Sky Pilot
With us: 19 years 7 months
Location: Moved recently from the Bihem System, now in Fort Worth, Texas, USA

hires, medres, and lores

Post #1by Sky Pilot » 01.02.2005, 20:39

I understand that the hires, medres, and lores subfolders in the textures folder contain Hi, Medium, and Low resolution textures respectively. But, how does Celestia use the files in these three folders? Does the program go to the lores folder when you're viewing position is beyond a certain distance from the object? Then when you move closer, does the program go to the medres and then the hires folders? If so, what are the thresholds that the program uses to switch textures? If I'm completely off base, how does it work?

I'm just curious how the texture maps are used.

Thanks!
"In the beginning the Universe was created. This has made a lot of people very angry and been widely regarded as a bad move."

selden
Developer
With us: 21 years 9 months

Post #2by selden » 01.02.2005, 20:43

You control which is shown by typing "r" (show textures in the next lower resolution folder) or "R" (show textures in the next higher resolution folder).
Selden

Topic author
Sky Pilot

Post #3by Sky Pilot » 01.02.2005, 20:46

selden wrote:You control which is shown by typing "r" (show textures in the next lower resolution folder) or "R" (show textures in the next higher resolution folder).

Thanks very much, Selden. So can I assume that if I mistakenly placed a texture for a planet in the hires folder, with no corresponding textures in the lores or medres folders, the planet would appear blank until I hit the "R" key to select the hires texture?
"In the beginning the Universe was created. This has made a lot of people very angry and been widely regarded as a bad move."

Bob Hegwood
With us: 20 years 8 months

Post #4by Bob Hegwood » 01.02.2005, 20:58

Pardon the intrusion here, but I thought that Celestia had a pre-defined
methodology for locating textures. Doesn't it first look in Medres, then Lores
and finally Hires?

Just curious.

Thanks, Bob
Bob Hegwood
Windows XP-SP2, 256Meg 1024x768 Resolution
Intel Celeron 1400 MHz CPU
Intel 82815 Graphics Controller
OpenGL Version: 1.1.2 - Build 4.13.01.3196
Celestia 1.4.0 Pre6 FT1

Topic author
Sky Pilot

Post #5by Sky Pilot » 01.02.2005, 21:03

Thanks, Bob. That's precisely what I'm asking.

t00fri
Developer
With us: 22 years 3 months

Post #6by t00fri » 01.02.2005, 21:13

Sky Pilot wrote:Thanks, Bob. That's precisely what I'm asking.

Wow, I think it was me who coded that 'methology' long time ago. All I remember is that the search is started in Medres then both Hires and Lores are searched with some preference that I forgot. One my always move up in resolution by pushing SHIFT-R while going down is effected by just pushing R.

Bye Fridger

Return to “Celestia Users”