Actual earth colors??

General discussion about Celestia that doesn't fit into other forums.
Topic author
RonA
With us: 22 years 1 month

Actual earth colors??

Post #1by RonA » 29.06.2002, 17:14

I've wondered this since first using Celestia.........
Are the Earth colors I am seeing the way it really looks (more or less); or are the texure maps "retouched"? I am thinking in particular of the light "neon blue" seen in shallow waters?

BTW, I am using the 8K Earth with a GeForce II Ti card In Windows.

Thanks all,
Ron A

Buzz
With us: 22 years 5 months

Post #2by Buzz » 30.06.2002, 14:43

Have a look at some NASA pictures! These colours occur for example around the bahama's.

t00fri
Developer
With us: 22 years 3 months

Post #3by t00fri » 30.06.2002, 16:54

Buzz wrote:Have a look at some NASA pictures! These colours occur for example around the bahama's.

Another issue is, as I wrote already elsewhere, that in particular the NASA BlueMarble hires earth textures have quite good colors, but they are strongly /oversaturated/. Hence the cartoonlike looks. If you desaturate the colors of the sea, then you will also see many different shades of blue in many places and this bright cyan is also looking quite like shallow waters usually do.

Bye Fridger

Buzz
With us: 22 years 5 months

Post #4by Buzz » 02.07.2002, 08:19

I noticed a difference between different NASA maps: the one without sea ice has less cyan-like shallow waters than the one with ice! I have to agree that I rarely see the North Sea (that's here) like that! Another example is the estuary of the Amazon that is cyan in the 'ice' map, and muddy in the other one, what seems more natural. We probably have to combine them.

Pixel
With us: 22 years 1 month

Post #5by Pixel » 02.07.2002, 08:40

Buzz wrote:I noticed a difference between different NASA maps: the one without sea ice has less cyan-like shallow waters than the one with ice! I have to agree that I rarely see the North Sea (that's here) like that! Another example is the estuary of the Amazon that is cyan in the 'ice' map, and muddy in the other one, what seems more natural. We probably have to combine them.

Also cyan glare really exists near Bahamas, but strange enough it is missing in the thexture with polar ice.

Return to “Celestia Users”