3DS to CMOD GUI utility update...

General discussion about Celestia that doesn't fit into other forums.
Topic author
smbika
With us: 20 years 2 months

3DS to CMOD GUI utility update...

Post #1by smbika » 09.11.2004, 21:54

Hi!

I recently got some feedback from a chap who downloaded my 3dstocmod gui converter from the celestia motherlode ( http://www.celestiamotherlode.net/creat ... cmodv1.zip ). It was a debug version (big error on my part - many apologies) and he had the following problem: "...missing mfco42d.dll msvcrtd.dll and Mfc42d.dll" when he ran it. I have since sent him a release version copy (my understanding is that those files are required for the debug version of the program and may not be present on all systems) and am awaiting his review of it. I also went ahead and uploaded the release version to the motherlode and it should be checked out and hopefully posted in a couple of days. Since today is the 9th, look for it around Thursday, the 11th. I HOPE this fixes the problem.

One other thing - I only tested it on 2K and XP machines as i no longer have access to a 95 or 98 box. I hope this is not a problem either...

If anyone else has had a problem please respond either here or send me e-mail at smbika@aol.com. I will be glad to attach the new version to my response and hope that will take care of the problems the aforementioned fellow had and yours too. If not, lemme know and I will continue to work on it.

Also, attach any audit trails, errors and the like you receive as they are invaluable in fixing the problem.

Thanks for the patience and again, I apologize for the inconvenience.

Sean :oops:
The only show that could beat Stargate<whatever> in a fair fight is Firefly...

Topic author
smbika

New zip available on motherlode

Post #2by smbika » 10.11.2004, 14:59

Hi all,

The fellow who alerted me to the problem mentioned above says the new version is available on the motherlode now at http://celestiamotherlode.net/creatrs/smbika/ - file is converterNew.zip.

It appears to work and i hope it serves well.

2 things:
1 - i am not well versed in the meaning of all the fix parameters available on the dialog - they are from the underlying program cmodfix.exe and the only explanation for their usage is in the readme.txt included in the zip. this is the same readme.txt, more or less, as can be found in the cmotools directory at http://www.celestiaproject.net/~claurel/celestia/cmodtools/. Please post in the forum for Chris or Selden or somebody to explain more since i am a relatively uneducated modeler.

2 - the OK and cancel buttons merely close the program - the process model button does the work.

Thanks and let me know what i can do to improve it,
Sean :D

Topic author
smbika

correction

Post #3by smbika » 10.11.2004, 15:10

sorry - the links above should be: http://celestiamotherlode.net/creators/smbika/

apologies. :oops:

selden
Developer
With us: 22 years 1 month

Post #4by selden » 10.11.2004, 17:36

smbika,

Since you logged in, you could click on the "edit" button at the top right of your posting and change the link within the message. You don't have to make a separate posting with the correction.

Just a suggestion...
Selden

selden
Developer
With us: 22 years 1 month

Post #5by selden » 10.11.2004, 17:42

smbika,

With reference to what's written in the readme.txt that describes cmodfix, well, I'm not much of a modeller, either. It probably would help if you asked specific questions about the points that aren't clear to you.

Most of the things that cmodfix does are relevant if you're familiar with exactly how your models are represented as vertices and want to optimize them.

I just use the example command that seems most relevant to what I'm trying to do :)

Most often, simply converting from text format into binary format is enough.
Selden

Topic author
smbika

In situ editing

Post #6by smbika » 10.11.2004, 18:15

Thanks Selden,

I will so do...also, i agree on the usage as you make of it - it usually is enough to just trust the examples. I was trying to help the chap who asked in PM but it won't hurt me to do some research for my own sake too!

Thanks again,
Sean

Topic author
smbika

New and improved:Take 2!

Post #7by smbika » 11.11.2004, 17:56

Meaning "usable" to anyone who does NOT have the Visual Studio environment installed... :oops:

Hi All,

Version 3.1 of the current and functioning 3ds converter is now available on the Celestia Motherlode at http://www.celestiamotherlode.net/creat ... odv3-1.zip .
Thanks to Joe and Harald at the Motherlode for their testing and patience and I hope this is now useful to everyone interested. For my next magical trick I will be adding (GASP!) tootips!

Regards and thanks!
Sean

NEW: All parameters for fixing can be used at once. The previous version incorrectly made the -b and -a switched mutually exclusive with the other fix parameters. Also I have added the facility to change the destination file name and path. Enjoy! And lemme know...

ps - i will upload a version with tooltips after giving the poor chaps at the motherlode a break! :wink:

Return to “Celestia Users”