Back from the wilderness... But not for too long...

General discussion about Celestia that doesn't fit into other forums.
Topic author
JackHiggins
With us: 21 years 6 months

Back from the wilderness... But not for too long...

Post #1by JackHiggins » 11.09.2004, 01:49

Um... Hi everyone!

*awkward silence*

Right... :|

It's been over 5 months since my last visit here, last post was on April 3rd 8O *sigh* Feel a bit strange suddenly coming back after all this time, but it had to be done sooner or later. First off, i'd like to apologise to anyone who was looking forward to any more add-ons from the website, or emailed me and never got any response. I should have posted this months ago, but I recently got the necessary reminder, which prompted me to "get off my ass and do something about it" as it were. (You know who you are, Frank. Whoops.. :wink: )

I suspect a whole new gang of regular posters have developed since last I visited, in addition to the old guard- so in case you don't know me; My name is Jack Higgins, was a regular poster and add-on maker from roughly Christmas 2002 - April 2004. My website of add-ons is still located at http://homepage.eircom.net/~jackcelestia/

So... What's happening? Where have I been etc? A number of things happened, which all contributed to my prolonged absence. Ever since about last christmas, i'd been beginning to unfortunately lose interest in the program celestia itself. My interest in space science and astronomy is stronger now than it ever was, but I couldn't get that same excitement from Celestia as I used to get, back in the day, when I was burning through a couple of model releases a week!
Around the same time, I suffered a fairly minor injury, a dislocated shoulder, while on a skiing trip in Italy. Nothing serious, but the fact that I couldn't really use the computer keyboard/mouse for a while got me out of the regular loop of visiting the forum and doing my usual stuff.
The school workload began to also increase, and that other wonderful thing, the teenage social life, began to develop. (About bloody time, some might say)

School and social stuff began to gradually take away from the time that was previously devoted to celestia, until it got to the point when I was no longer using it regularly, and posting here became a chore that I really couldn't be bothered about. April 3rd was the date when it all stopped, pretty much- School exams were the 3rd and 4th weeks of may, supervision of the leaving cert exams for the first 3 weeks of june, going into the city and friends' parties, occasional work for the following.. well until the end of august really! I know it sounds like I did nothing all summer (I didn't go away anywhere except a 3-day camping odyssey out on the west coast, but that's another story) but it's amazing how the time went past so quickly, and how it really appears as though I achieved very little. Met a lot of really great new friends, people who I hope to still know in many years time... Had a lot of fun too- this was by far the most enjoyable year of my life so far.

This year, i've got the leaving cert exams next june, and since I went back to school last week, i've been overloaded with work from the word go. The little free time I have on weekends etc will be mostly spent with friends I expect- leaving a little time free for the computer etc. I may start using celestia again a little bit during the year, but not in any serious amount for the forseeable future.

Basically this means that my website won't be getting updated again for a very long time... (so a continuation of the situation since early this year..) And apart from the occasional lurking post, I probably won't be around this forum very much for a long time either.

Sorry about this... And sorry to be going on about myself so much, but for you to know exactly what the story was, I had to fill in a bit of background... Some of you will probably be a bit annoyed at me, it really wasn't my intention to leave things slide for so long before posting. Hopefully things will calm down a bit in school where i'll have some more time to visit here again, some time soonish.
- Jack Higgins
Jack's Celestia Add-ons
And visit my Celestia Gallery too!

granthutchison
Developer
With us: 21 years 7 months

Re: Back from the wilderness... But not for too long...

Post #2by granthutchison » 11.09.2004, 02:32

JackHiggins wrote:... it's amazing how the time went past so quickly, and how it really appears as though I achieved very little. Met a lot of really great new friends, people who I hope to still know in many years time... Had a lot of fun too- this was by far the most enjoyable year of my life so far.
:) Then you've achieved something. Always remember the immortal words of Mr Meat Loaf: "A wasted youth is better by far than a wise and respected old age." And with little more than a minimal sense of life's balance, coupled with a moderate degree of luck and good judgement, it's possible to achieve both.

Grant

chris
Site Admin
With us: 22 years 4 months

Post #3by chris » 11.09.2004, 03:16

My interest in space science and astronomy is stronger now than it ever was, but I couldn't get that same excitement from Celestia as I used to get, back in the day, when I was burning through a couple of model releases a week!

Good to hear from you again, Jack!

I'm working on new features for Celestia, among them animation and improved texturing (specular, emissive, bump maps) for models. Maybe that will rekindle your interest a bit. But I understand if it doesn't--there are a lot of other things to do out there, and you've contributed a lot to Celestia already.

--Chris

Darkmiss
With us: 21 years 10 months

Post #4by Darkmiss » 11.09.2004, 08:55

Hello Jack

Great to hear from you again.
Glad to hear your okay and having fun. :)
CPU- Intel Pentium Core 2 Quad ,2.40GHz
RAM- 2Gb 1066MHz DDR2
Motherboard- Gigabyte P35 DQ6
Video Card- Nvidia GeForce 8800 GTS + 640Mb
Hard Drives- 2 SATA Raptor 10000rpm 150GB
OS- Windows Vista Home Premium 32

bh
With us: 21 years 6 months

Post #5by bh » 11.09.2004, 11:27

Jack...good to hear from you...and I'm glad you're having fun...all the best to you matey! And Darkmiss...where have you been eh? I'm glad you're still here!

Regards...bh.

ElPelado
With us: 21 years 2 months

Post #6by ElPelado » 11.09.2004, 11:33

Hello Jack!(before I edited I worte "Hi Jack", and that doesn't sound good today 9/11)
I think we all understand you. I am happy to hear from you again and very happy to hear that your are having fun and all of that.
I haven't told this but I alse havent been using Celestia in a loooong time.
I use it only when I want t try new things or to see some special astronomy events or stuff like that.
I enter the forums everyday, but I dont read more than 6-10 new posts per-day.
I hope you continue to be ok
Good luck!
---------X---------
EL XENTENARIO
1905-2005

My page:
http://www.urielpelado.com.ar
My Gallery:
http://www.celestiaproject.net/gallery/view_al ... y-Universe

Jeam Tag M
With us: 21 years 2 months

Post #7by Jeam Tag » 11.09.2004, 14:00

Hooow :( ,Jack, I had hoped you could model the landing cracked capsule on Utah to finish your 'Genesis' probe :lol: 8) (Sorry!) :twisted: :oops:

Many thanks for this 'post(card)': you always know that we like your great contributions (To parody 'The Avengers': Mr Cork, you're needed). But there are so many little things more important than Celestia in real life that nobody (maybe great conceptors team around Chris?:-) cannot spend all time and interests 7/7 24/24 with this so lovely program. So, as it is a living project, you (like great DonG) can have some little vacancies, but please: do not forget your fans :roll:
Jeam
(To quote 'The Prisonner': Be seeing you! (IIRC -in french the salutation sentence is: 'Bonjour chez Vous') (Yes, I love some old great UK SF tv series) :wink:
Catalogue des ajouts /Catalog for the Add-Ons in French
...PAGES LOSTS, SORRY

Post #8by Guest » 11.09.2004, 20:30

Hi Jack,

...sad you were/are leaving. Really.

Bye Fridger

t00fri
Developer
With us: 22 years 2 months

Post #9by t00fri » 11.09.2004, 20:34

rrrrrrrrrrr the previous post was mine.

Bye Fridger

Rassilon
With us: 22 years 4 months

Post #10by Rassilon » 11.09.2004, 21:24

Welcome back...Ive started on my own project here recently and have moved away from Celestia myself Jack...but I could never fully bring myself to stop...Exploring the wonders of the Cosmos is a never dying flame that burns on brighter than the sun! There is one other thing that burns brighter and she keeps me going when I want to quit...
I'm trying to teach the cavemen how to play scrabble, its uphill work. The only word they know is Uhh and they dont know how to spell it!

TERRIER
With us: 21 years 1 month

Post #11by TERRIER » 11.09.2004, 21:36

Good to hear from you again Jack,

?dh m?r ort agus sonas ort !
TERRIER
1.6.0:AMDAth1.2GHz 1GbDDR266:Ge6200 256mbDDR250:WinXP-SP3:1280x1024x32FS:v196.21@AA4x:AF16x:IS=HQ:T.Buff=ON Earth16Kdds@15KkmArctic2000AD:FOV1:SPEC L5dds:NORM L5dxt5:CLOUD L5dds:
NIGHT L5dds:MOON L4dds:GALXY ON:MAG 15.2-SAP:TIME 1000x:RP=OGL2:10.3FPS

Return to “Celestia Users”