Celestia 1.3.2 pre 10

General discussion about Celestia that doesn't fit into other forums.
Topic author
chris
Site Admin
With us: 22 years 8 months

Celestia 1.3.2 pre 10

Post #1by chris » 17.07.2004, 19:31

A new Celestia prerelease package for Windows is available. 1.3.2 pre 10 will probably be the last prerelease before 1.3.2 is finally done. It's available in the usual place:

http://www.spacesim.net/prerelease/cele ... 2pre10.exe

There's no EXE-only package for 1.3.2pre10 because so many of the data files have changed since the last prerelease. Here's a summary of the changes:

* Implemented an algorithm for importance weights to avoid overlapping or
too crowded location labels for Mars, Venus and the Moon
* Added new textures for Titan based on recent imaging from the Cassini mission
* Improved depth sorting so that hidden surface removal works properly for overlapping objects
* Added theoretical estimates of oblateness and rotation rate for extrasolar planets
* Replaced old Io and Europa textures with improved versions
* Added disposition modifier for ssc objects to control what happens when an object with the same name and parent already exists. The three possible behaviors are Add (the default), Replace, and Modify.
* Fixed several mesh rendering bugs

--Chris

symaski62
With us: 20 years 4 months

Post #2by symaski62 » 17.07.2004, 20:23

moi travaille

tout de monde => http://cvs.sourceforge.net/viewcvs.py/c ... te#dirlist

celestie 1.3.2 pre 8

tout fin

8) /symaski62
windows 10 directX 12 version
celestia 1.7.0 64 bits
with a general handicap of 80% and it makes much d' efforts for the community and s' expimer, thank you d' to be understanding.

Rassilon

Post #3by Rassilon » 18.07.2004, 03:55

Chris,

Very nice job on Titan! It looks like one of my phantasy worlds with the thick atmosphere...And the improvements on atmospheres and haze with FX is simply superb...

Models render good and everything seems tip top...I havent found any errors yet anyway...

Cheers!
I'm trying to teach the cavemen how to play scrabble, its uphill work. The only word they know is Uhh and they dont know how to spell it!

don
With us: 21 years 2 months

Post #4by don » 18.07.2004, 18:53

Pre 10? Guess I was asleep when Pre 9 was released? Don't recall seeing it. Talk about time flying!
-Don G.
My Celestia Scripting Resources page

Avatar: Total Lunar Eclipse from our back yard, Oct 2004. Panasonic FZ1 digital camera (no telescope), 36X digital zoom, 8 second exposure at f6.5.

fsgregs
With us: 21 years 11 months

Post #5by fsgregs » 19.07.2004, 01:31

Chris, could you post a short explanation of how to use "Add, Replace, Modify" in an ssc file, or direct us to a thread that might already describe it. I am anxious to learn how to use it. A VERY useful feature.

:D

Frank

selden
Developer
With us: 22 years

Post #6by selden » 19.07.2004, 03:17

Well, I'm not Chris, but... the descriptions of how the new "disposition" modifiers work haven't really been gathered together until now. They've been in the form of changes to changes to changes. It took some discussion before they were finalized.

Here's a description that I've put together from messages by Harald and Chris on the developers' mailing list.

When a new SSC object is defined with the same name as an existing object but with no dispostion modifer, Celestia just adds the second object to its internal list using that same name. This makes it impossible to reliably change or replace default objects by files in /extras/. This is the way it's always been.

You now can define an SSC object with the same name but with a disposition modifier which controls how the new and original objects are handled by Celestia.

The three modifiers are Add, Replace and Modify.

Add
acts the same as no modifier: the new object is simply added to the list of objects known to Celestia. Any confusion caused by the use of the same object name more than once is still ambiguous.

Replace
causes the new object to completely replace the preexisting object of the same name. It's as if the previous object definition had not been read in.

Modify
causes any characteristics defined in the new object to replace those same characteristics in the old object definition. Characteristics which are not mentioned in the new object are left unchanged.

Here's an example:

Code: Select all

# This gives the earth a seoond moon.
# Both are named "Moon"
# but this second Moon has somewhat different characteristics from the first Moon.

Add "Moon" "Sol/Earth" {
    Texture "moon.*"
    Radius 1737
    EllipticalOrbit {
        Period 27
        SemiMajorAxis 384400
        }
}

# this replaces Phobos by something quite different
# the original tiny Phobos is gone.

Replace "Phobos" "Sol/Mars" {
    Texture "moon.*"
    Radius 1737
    EllipticalOrbit {
        Period 27
        SemiMajorAxis 384400
        }
}

# This simply makes Deimos bigger.
# It still follows the same orbit and looks the same.

Modify "Deimos" "Sol/Mars" {
    Radius 1000
}

Note:
I haven't tried using either Replace or Modify when there already are several objects of the same name, so I don't know what will happen. It's still confusing ;)
Selden

alphap1us
With us: 20 years 9 months

Post #7by alphap1us » 19.07.2004, 03:34

Could someone explain how Celestia determines which is the old and which is the new object? Obviously, something in the extras directory could modify a default object, but what if I had two objects that were both trying to modify the same object (or each other)? Which one takes precedence?

Harry
With us: 21 years

Post #8by Harry » 19.07.2004, 13:24

AFAIR there is no defined load-order for ssc-files, so the only guarantee is that ssc-files in extras replace/modify definitions in the default data directory.

There is a shortcoming with Replace: the new object will be added to the end of the list of children, i.e. if you use Replace with Earth, Earth will no longer be the third planet in list and when using the number-keys to select planets.

Harald

don

Post #9by don » 19.07.2004, 13:40

Why? If it's a Replace operation, then why can't the BASE definition ("Earth/Sol") remain in-place (so the position values do not change) with only the details being changed?
-Don G.

Avatar: Total Lunar Eclipse from our back yard, Oct 2004. Panasonic FZ1 digital camera (no telescope), 36X digital zoom, 8 second exposure at f6.5.

don

Re: Celestia 1.3.2 pre 10

Post #10by don » 19.07.2004, 13:43

chris wrote:A new Celestia prerelease package for Windows is available. 1.3.2 pre 10 will probably be the last prerelease before 1.3.2 is finally done.

Chris, please remember to change the Help / About version from 1.3.1 when you do a final build. 8)
-Don G.

Harry

Post #11by Harry » 19.07.2004, 14:22

don wrote:Why? If it's a Replace operation, then why can't the BASE definition ("Earth/Sol") remain in-place (so the position values do not change) with only the details being changed?

The current implementation deletes the old definition, then adds the new one - which adds to the end of the list. A fix for this is on the way...

Harald

Rassilon

Post #12by Rassilon » 19.07.2004, 14:49

This could come in handy if you wanted to create the stages of a star from proto to black hole....Along side the timestamp function used in ssc files...of which I cannot remember offhand what that command is named...
I'm trying to teach the cavemen how to play scrabble, its uphill work. The only word they know is Uhh and they dont know how to spell it!

RND
With us: 20 years 9 months

Post #13by RND » 19.07.2004, 22:30

Cant wait for it to go final. I have one suggestion Id like to see though. The option to change the temporature of a Sun or planet. K doesnt mean a great deal but celsius would.
� RND �
Insert RaNDom comment here

John Van Vliet
With us: 22 years 1 month

re

Post #14by John Van Vliet » 20.07.2004, 00:03

k --kelvin is celsius--

k= temp(in celsius) +273 deg. celsius

70 deg. celsius = 343 k

jestr

Post #15by jestr » 20.07.2004, 01:13

Using the Replace,add,modify commands,would it be possible (as Runar is trying to do-see this threadhttp://www.shatters.net/forum/viewtopic.php?p=39944#39944) to have a spacecraft moving from an xyz defined orbit (which has the craft entering the star system and moving towards an inner planet) to take up an elliptical orbit around this planet.I can't see how to use these commands to change from (in this case)
"Orion Rocket" "Ran"
to "Orion Rocket" "Ran/Hroenn"
where Ran is the name of the star and Hroenn is the planet.
Just what does Celestia, Replace?
is it simply"Orion Rocket" or does the rest of the definition have to be the same also?Is there some combination of these commands which would acheive the desired result?
All the best Jestr

Rassilon

Post #16by Rassilon » 20.07.2004, 03:03

Rassilon wrote:Fridger,

Very nice job on Titan! It looks like one of my phantasy worlds with the thick atmosphere...

Chris,

The improvements on atmospheres and haze with FX ( I was foiled again) is simply superb...

Models render good and everything seems tip top...I found a few errors but bloody hell its all for fun!

Cheers!

Fixed :P

don

Post #17by don » 20.07.2004, 05:04

Harry wrote:The current implementation deletes the old definition, then adds the new one - which adds to the end of the list. A fix for this is on the way...

Excellent! :D
-Don G.

maxim
With us: 20 years 10 months

Post #18by maxim » 20.07.2004, 06:50

jestr wrote:Using the Replace,add,modify commands,would it be possible to have a spacecraft moving from an xyz defined orbit (which has the craft entering the star system and moving towards an inner planet) to take up an elliptical orbit around this planet
Is there some combination of these commands which would acheive the desired result?

As I understand, these commands are applied at load time not at run time, so they won't help you of anything that should change dynamically in celestia. Theyr'e just for maintaining your own celestia installation.

maxim

jestr

Post #19by jestr » 21.07.2004, 21:39

Would it be possible to make these commands time dependant,so one defined object could totally replace another using Beginning and Ending commands,Jestr

maxim
With us: 20 years 10 months

Post #20by maxim » 21.07.2004, 22:41

Shouldn't this be possible already?
Just set the beginning time of your new object equal to the ending time of your old object.

Well of course I don`t know about the browser entries.

maxim
Last edited by maxim on 22.07.2004, 06:55, edited 1 time in total.

Return to “Celestia Users”