Celestia Educational Activities - Get them here!

General discussion about Celestia that doesn't fit into other forums.
Topic author
fsgregs
With us: 21 years 9 months

Celestia Educational Activities - Get them here!

Post #1by fsgregs » 18.01.2004, 23:12

Hi:

This is to advise visitors to the Celestia forum that the members of the forum and I have put together a set of exciting Educational Activities for your enjoyment and educational use. Each Activity is a tour and journey through the Celestia universe, covering a particular subject. Each Activity is written in MS Word, and is designed to be read and followed as a step by step journey. The Activities contain many facts about the topic and will launch Celestia for you and take you to some amazing places. Each is truly interactive and can be either used at home or in a classroom setting.

Each Activity comes with its own printable student worksheet that teachers can copy and distribute to students for completion and grading.

Most Activities take about 1 - 2 hours to read and complete. Two new Activities (3.3 - E and 4.3-E) are extended and enhanced tours of the complete Solar System and take 3 - 4 hours each to read and complete. All of the Educational Activities truly highlight the power of Celestia to bring the universe and Astronomy to life for you.

Each Activity may be downloaded as zip files from the following website:

http://www.fsgregs.org/celestia.

You can get a free unzipping program from winzip.com.

Once downloaded, the zip files must be unzipped and installed into your main Celestia folder (the one on your computer that contains all your Celestia files). There is a "Read-me" file accompanying zip file A of each Activity which explains how to install and use the files.

The Activities require the use of Celestia version 1.3.1 (available for free from http://www.celestiaproject.net/celestia) and Microsoft Word (must be purchased from Microsoft). If you do not have MS Word, Microsoft offers a free MS Word Viewer on their website which can be downloaded at http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyID=9BBB9E60-E4F3-436D-A5A7-DA0E5431E5C1&displaylang=en

A few of the links inside of the Activities also launch Apple Quicktime movies. If you do not have Quicktime, you can get it at http://www.apple.com/quicktime/

The current list of Activities available are:

* Activity 1.1 and 2.2 - a tour of the Universe - start at Earth and travel "up" into the night sky, speeding outward at hyper-light speed past the Moon, the outer planets and into the stars. Visit a variety of stars, nebula, pulsars, black holes, dark matter and a few of the galaxies beyond our own Milky Way. Get a glimpse of just how immense our universe really is.

Black Hole visited in Activity 2.2

* Activity 3.2 and 4.2 - a general tour of the Solar System - beginning at the Sun, explore our Solar System, stopping at all nine planets and some of their moons. See asteroids come close to hitting Earth, fly your own spaceship in a pass over the Kennedy Space Center, pace next to Apollo 11, observe Jupiter's Great Red Spot, attempt a dangerous flythrough of the beautiful rings of Saturn, see moons eclipsing each other, discover what it's like inside the dark blue atmosphere of Neptune, learn just how fast Voyager II is leaving the solar system, and follow alongside a comet as its tail streams out behind it.

Apollo 11 - from the Solar System, Activity 3.2

* Activity 3.3 - E and 4.3 - E (NEW) - An extended and enhanced complete tour of the Solar System, from the surface of the Sun to the outer reaches of the Oort cloud of comets. In addition to all of the stops made in Activities 3.2 and 4.2, this extended tour is designed to provide you all of the key facts needed to understand and appreciate each of the planets and their key moons. It can stand alone as the primary teaching document on the Solar System for educators. It includes key spacecraft that have visited each of the planets (including the MER Spirit and Opportunity landings on Mars), rare eclipses and conjunctions of the planets and moons, flybys of Solar System members at key moments in time, discussions of such topics as asteroid impacts, Solar System dynamics and Moon and Mars bases of the future, and animated trips down to the surface of each planet (pan around in 3D).

Saturn as seen in Activity 4.3 - Extended

* Activity 5.2 - the Terraforming of Mars - a futuristic journey into the 26th century to witness the terraforming of Mars by man from a dry, barren world to one covered with shallow seas, plants and human colonies. Witness the melting of the polar ice caps with giant space mirrors, kept on station by orbiting lasers. Observe the slow transformation of Mars from a red planet of dust and sand to one covered in water, with growing plants, an oxygen atmosphere and colonies of humans.

Mars of the far future, verdant and livable.

* Activity 6.2 - the Life and Death of Stars - a detailed and elaborately explained journey of discovery through the complete life cycle of both regular stars like our Sun, and massive stars. Over 25 stops are made to nebula, protostars, main sequence stars, Red Giants, Yellow Giants, Blue Supergiants and massive Red Supergiants. Witness the death of Earth when our Sun swells to a Red Giant and consumes it. Then continue on to see stars explode into Planetary nebula and Supernova. Hover close to rapidly spinning White Dwarfs and brilliantly hot Neutron stars. Count the pulses of rotating Pulsars and try to fly above spinning Black Holes without being sucked in.

Earth being swallowed by our swollen Sun billions of years from now.

* Activity 7.2 - The Spacecraft of Celestia - near Earth. Tour the history of the Space Program. Beginning with humble Sputnik 1, visit the key spacecraft that influenced human exploration of space, to include American, Soviet, European and Chinese craft. 18 separate spacecraft are visited near Earth, including Explorer, Mercury, Apollo, Soyuz, Skylab, Mir, the Space Shuttle, the Hubble Space Telescope, ISS and ending with Cosmos 1, a new spacecraft designed to "sail" through space on sunlight alone (it has no engines).

The highly detailed models of ISS and Shuttle Endeavour in Celestia space.

* Activity 8.2 - Spacecraft of Celestia - beyond Earth - take a fascinating journey to fly alongside the space probes that humanity has sent to the planets, including Mariner, Pioneer, Viking, Venera, Magellan, Cassini, Voyager, Mars Odyssey, the MER Spirit and Opportunity and Stardust, to name just a few. Then continue on into the future, to visit such famous Hollywood spaceships as the Discovery and Monolith (from 2001, a Space Odyssey), the Millenium Falcon, Imperial Deathstar, tie fighters and x-wings from StarWars, the USS Enterprise and Voyager and the omnious Borg Cube from the Star Trek series and a massive space station from the Babylon V series.

Activity currently under development. Here is a screenshot.

The Borg mother ship

* Activity 9.2 - the Primitive Earth and Moon System - under development - when complete, you will take a journey into the distant past to witness the early Earth billions of years ago. Be there when "Orpheus", a planet the size of Mars, smashes into Earth and breaks off large chunks of it, to form the Moon (this is the most widly accepted theory of our Moon's formation.

A view of the primitive Earth and Moon system, from the Activity

You are welcome to download and take any of the above journeys. However, please be considerate in downloading. My website is being hosted by a friend and to keep the lines from being overcrowded, please
download the Activities only one at a time. Also, please note that these activities contain massive amounts of files, textures and models. If you downloaded them all, it would require over 630 MB of computer space. You will need a reasonably new model/fast computer to enjoy them. You will probably also need a computer with a reasonable video graphics card on it (a peice of hardware that Celestia uses to draw complex images). If you have a slow computer with no video card, few if any of the Activities will run for you.

Enjoy, with my compliments. Feel free to post comments, praises :) and complaints :? here, or send me a private message.

Regards,

Frank
Last edited by fsgregs on 17.09.2004, 16:00, edited 3 times in total.

madagh
With us: 20 years 7 months

Post #2by madagh » 23.01.2004, 22:28

I've downloaded your activities, and now I was doing the first one. I'm pleasurably surprised. I'm a secondary teacher in Spain, and member of an astronomical group of teachers. I would like to know if you care me to translate your activities to Spanish and Catalan to put them to other Spanish professors' disposition, and use then with aour students.
I will be waiting impatient the activity 9.2 of the ancient Earth.
They are really very good.
Manuel

Topic author
fsgregs

Post #3by fsgregs » 24.01.2004, 03:18

Dear Manuel:

Hola. Gracias for your compliments. I am so glad you find the Activities good educational tools. I hope you can download them all.

Please feel free to translate them, but remember that the read-me instructions for the Activities that are included with the zip files also have to be translated. Note that you can translate the link to a cel:url (click here ...) inside an Activity, but must not change the link address. Also, in a few Activities, one of Celestia's English language files (solarsys.ssc), has to be edited by the user before the Activity is done. If you are downloading and handling the Activity add-ons for your students, it will not be a problem. If they have to make their own changes to Celestia files, however, they will have to read some English, since all Celestia command files must be in English for use by the program and cannot be translated.

Regards,

Frank Gregorio

FlatTax
With us: 20 years 5 months

Wow

Post #4by FlatTax » 28.01.2004, 09:37

Frank, looks great!

How does this thing work... Does it permanently change Celestia itself?

Topic author
fsgregs

Post #5by fsgregs » 31.01.2004, 05:19

Dear Flat Tax:

Each Educational Activity comes with a set of what are called "add-on" files. These files generally are placed into an "extras" folder inside the Celestia main folder. When Celestia launches, it scans its extras folder for proper files. If it finds add-ons, its loads them. In that regard, Celestia itself is not changed but what it chooses to load when you launch the program is changed. For example, if you place an add-on in your extras folder that draws the Russian satellite Sputnik 1, then Celestia will always load Sputnik 1 when it starts up and you can go visit it if you wish. It will be up there in space. If fo some reason you do not want to load Sputnik 1, you can always delete the add-on files from the extras folder.

Regards,

Frank

miket6064

activity8 and 9 question

Post #6by miket6064 » 04.02.2004, 16:03

I an new to this program and just discovered the activities. Does anyone know when 8 and 9 will be released?

MikeT

Topic author
fsgregs

Post #7by fsgregs » 04.02.2004, 19:48

Dear Mike:

Activity 8.2 and 9.2 are at least one month away from release. My wife is starting to complain that she is becoming a "Celestia widow". Watch out ... it is catching. You start working on this program and soon .....

Anyway, watch this forum for Celestia Educational Activity posts and revisit this particular thread periodically. I will update it when the Activities are released.

fsgregs

miket6065
With us: 20 years 5 months

the activites

Post #8by miket6065 » 05.02.2004, 00:18

Many thanks, and I understand from my married gaming buddies your wife's complaints. Don't have that problem myself, still single.

Hey, take her out for dinner, might buy a few days of worktime.

MikeT

madagh
With us: 20 years 7 months

Celestia in catalan and spanish

Post #9by madagh » 20.02.2004, 21:40

Hi again Frank,
I begun to translate your activities to catalan (the language spoken on Majorca), I don't know if I'll ever finish because I have a little baby and not so many free time. I just created a web for Celestia resources in catalan and spanish, and I would like to create on it links to your activities and my translations, always with your permission and indicating your authorship. So, can I do it?
Manuel

Topic author
fsgregs

Post #10by fsgregs » 22.02.2004, 05:36

Dear Madagh:

Please feel free to translate the Activities as you wish. I am very glad you enjoy them.

Regards,

Frank

Daragaard
With us: 20 years 3 months

Post #11by Daragaard » 17.03.2004, 10:47

the main link is down, where can i download those Activitis from?
I do need those.

thank you.
That's right, 2nd start on the Right all night long... NEVERLAND.

Adirondack M
With us: 20 years 4 months

Post #12by Adirondack » 17.03.2004, 15:45

Hi Frank,

did you notice this thread http://celestiaproject.net/forum/viewtopic.php?t=4534

There's a problem with the bigstars.dat.

Post #13by Guest » 19.03.2004, 02:49

Hi Folks:

I've had some major computer problems. My website is down at the moment. PLEASE BE PATIENT.

Adorondack, I have seen the post about bigstars.dat and will add it to the add-ons as soon as possible. Thanks for the tip.

fsgregs (Frank)

danielj
With us: 20 years 10 months

Re: Celestia Educational Activities - Get them here!

Post #14by danielj » 22.04.2004, 17:13

I downloaded Activitis 3.2 and 4,2 A,B and C and the program didn?t work,when I click the image of the solar system in a readme file.Maybe because Activity 3,2 and 4,2 D is missing.Can you help me?

fsgregs wrote:Hi:

This is to advise visitors to the Celestia forum that the members of the forum and I have put together a set of exciting Educational Activities for your enjoyment and educational use. Each Activity is a tour and journey through the Celestia universe, covering a particular subject. Each Activity is written in MS Word, and is designed to be read and followed as a step by step journey. The Activities contain many facts about the topic and will launch Celestia for you and take you to some amazing places. Each is truly interactive and can be either used at home or in a classroom setting.

Each Activity comes with its own printable student worksheet that teachers can copy and distribute to students for completion and grading.

Most Activities take about 1 - 2 hours to read and complete. Two new Activities (3.3 - E and 4.3-E) are extended and enhanced tours of the complete Solar System and take 3 - 4 hours each to read and complete. All of the Educational Activities truly highlight the power of Celestia to bring the universe and Astronomy to life for you.

Each Activity may be downloaded as zip files from the following website:

http://www.fsgregs.org/celestia.

You can get a free unzipping program from winzip.com.

Once downloaded, the zip files must be unzipped and installed into your main Celestia folder (the one on your computer that contains all your Celestia files). There is a "Read-me" file accompanying zip file A of each Activity which explains how to install and use the files.

The Activities require the use of Celestia version 1.3.1 (available for free from http://www.celestiaproject.net/celestia) and Microsoft Word (must be purchased from Microsoft). If you do not have MS Word, Microsoft offers a free MS Word Viewer on their website which can be downloaded at http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyID=9BBB9E60-E4F3-436D-A5A7-DA0E5431E5C1&displaylang=en

A few of the links inside of the Activities also launch Apple Quicktime movies. If you do not have Quicktime, you can get it at http://www.apple.com/quicktime/

The current list of Activities available are:

* Activity 1.1 and 2.2 - a tour of the Universe - start at Earth and travel "up" into the night sky, speeding outward at hyper-light speed past the Moon, the outer planets and into the stars. Visit a variety of stars, nebula, pulsars, black holes, dark matter and a few of the galaxies beyond our own Milky Way. Get a glimpse of just how immense our universe really is.

Black Hole visited in Activity 2.2

* Activity 3.2 and 4.2 - a general tour of the Solar System - beginning at the Sun, explore our Solar System, stopping at all nine planets and some of their moons. See asteroids come close to hitting Earth, fly your own spaceship in a pass over the Kennedy Space Center, pace next to Apollo 11, observe Jupiter's Great Red Spot, attempt a dangerous flythrough of the beautiful rings of Saturn, see moons eclipsing each other, discover what it's like inside the dark blue atmosphere of Neptune, learn just how fast Voyager II is leaving the solar system, and follow alongside a comet as its tail streams out behind it.

Apollo 11 - from the Solar System, Activity 3.2

* Activity 3.3 - E and 4.3 - E (NEW) - An extended and enhanced complete tour of the Solar System, from the surface of the Sun to the outer reaches of the Oort cloud of comets. In addition to all of the stops made in Activities 3.2 and 4.2, this extended tour is designed to provide you all of the key facts needed to understand and appreciate each of the planets and their key moons. It can stand alone as the primary teaching document on the Solar System for educators. It includes key spacecraft that have visited each of the planets (including the MER Spirit and Opportunity landings on Mars), rare eclipses and conjunctions of the planets and moons, flybys of Solar System members at key moments in time, discussions of such topics as asteroid impacts, Solar System dynamics and Moon and Mars bases of the future, and animated trips down to the surface of each planet (pan around in 3D).

Saturn as seen in Activity 4.3 - Extended

* Activity 5.2 - the Terraforming of Mars - a futuristic journey into the 26th century to witness the terraforming of Mars by man from a dry, barren world to one covered with shallow seas, plants and human colonies. Witness the melting of the polar ice caps with giant space mirrors, kept on station by orbiting lasers. Observe the slow transformation of Mars from a red planet of dust and sand to one covered in water, with growing plants, an oxygen atmosphere and colonies of humans.

Mars of the far future, verdant and livable.

* Activity 6.2 - the Life and Death of Stars - a detailed and elaborately explained journey of discovery through the complete life cycle of both regular stars like our Sun, and massive stars. Over 25 stops are made to nebula, protostars, main sequence stars, Red Giants, Yellow Giants, Blue Supergiants and massive Red Supergiants. Witness the death of Earth when our Sun swells to a Red Giant and consumes it. Then continue on to see stars explode into Planetary nebula and Supernova. Hover close to rapidly spinning White Dwarfs and brilliantly hot Neutron stars. Count the pulses of rotating Pulsars and try to fly above spinning Black Holes without being sucked in.

Earth being swallowed by our swollen Sun billions of years from now.

* Activity 7.2 - The Spacecraft of Celestia - near Earth. Tour the history of the Space Program. Beginning with humble Sputnik 1, visit the key spacecraft that influenced human exploration of space, to include American, Soviet, European and Chinese craft. 18 separate spacecraft are visited near Earth, including Explorer, Mercury, Apollo, Soyuz, Skylab, Mir, the Space Shuttle, the Hubble Space Telescope, ISS and ending with Cosmos 1, a new spacecraft designed to "sail" through space on sunlight alone (it has no engines).

The highly detailed models of ISS and Shuttle Endeavour in Celestia space.

* Activity 8.2 - Spacecraft of Celestia - beyond Earth - take a fascinating journey to fly alongside the space probes that humanity has sent to the planets, including Mariner, Pioneer, Viking, Venera, Magellan, Cassini, Voyager, Mars Odyssey, the MER Spirit and Opportunity and Stardust, to name just a few. Then continue on into the future, to visit such famous Hollywood spaceships as the Discovery and Monolith (from 2001, a Space Odyssey), the Millenium Falcon, Imperial Deathstar, tie fighters and x-wings from StarWars, the USS Enterprise and Voyager and the omnious Borg Cube from the Star Trek series and a massive space station from the Babylon V series.

Activity currently under development. Here is a screenshot.

The Borg mother ship

* Activity 9.2 - the Primitive Earth and Moon System - under development - when complete, you will take a journey into the distant past to witness the early Earth billions of years ago. Be there when "Orpheus", a planet the size of Mars, smashes into Earth and breaks off large chunks of it, to form the Moon (this is the most widly accepted theory of our Moon's formation.

A view of the primitive Earth and Moon system, from the Activity

You are welcome to download and take any of the above journeys. However, please be considerate in downloading. My website is being hosted by a friend and to keep the lines from being overcrowded, please
download the Activities only one at a time. Also, please note that these activities contain massive amounts of files, textures and models. If you downloaded them all, it would require over 630 MB of computer space. You will need a reasonably new model/fast computer to enjoy them. You will probably also need a computer with a reasonable video graphics card on it (a peice of hardware that Celestia uses to draw complex images). If you have a slow computer with no video card, few if any of the Activities will run for you.

Enjoy, with my compliments. Feel free to post comments, praises :) and complaints :? here, or send me a private message.

Regards,

Frank

granthutchison
Developer
With us: 21 years 7 months

Post #15by granthutchison » 22.04.2004, 18:06

For goodness' sake, daniel!
Please edit your last post to remove the huge unnecessary quotation full of pictures.

Grant

danielj
With us: 20 years 10 months

Re: Celestia Educational Activities - Get them here!

Post #16by danielj » 22.04.2004, 21:19

[quote="danielj"]I downloaded Activitis 3.2 and 4,2 A,B and C and the program didn?t work,when I click the image of the solar system in a readme file.Maybe because Activity 3,2 and 4,2 D is missing.Can you help me?
Sorry!
I installed all the addons,and when I clicked on the picyure 4 in Activity 3.2 -part 1 sheet,a message said that is not possible to open the particular file.Maybe the part D is missing

Topic author
fsgregs

Post #17by fsgregs » 27.04.2004, 00:09

Daniel:

I'm sorry you had a problem. One of the files inside part A of Activity 3.2, has an incorrect entry. The file is called Celestia.cfg. You can fix the error very simply. Open the file using any text editor. For example, if you are running Windows, open "WordPad" or "NotePad", which come with Windows, then open Celestia.cfg. The first line reads "StarDatabase "data/bigstars.dat". Remove the word "big" so that the line reads "StarDatabase "data/stars.dat".

Save the file and the add-on should work OK. If not, let me know.

I have fixed the file on the website. It will take me a day or so to make the swap.

Thanks for your discovery.

Fsgregs

StarCrazy

Post #18by StarCrazy » 27.04.2004, 11:13

Hi Frank,
I tried out Activities 1.2 and 2.2 and they're great. Unfortunately, the links in the word document don't work for me. I went through it manually as best I can but it would be nice to have the activities flow smoothly...save a bit of time.
I'm using Celestia 1.3.1-1 on a Mac OSX...for anyone using macs, do I have to change the link addresses or something.

Thanks for any help
Chris
"I believe a leaf of grass is no less than the journeywork of the stars" Walt Whitman - Song of Myself: Leaves of Grass 1855

Topic author
fsgregs

Post #19by fsgregs » 27.04.2004, 19:50

Dear StarCrazy:

I'm sorry the cel:url's in 1.2 and 2.2 are giving you trouble. To the best of my knowledge, they should work fine in a MAC.

It might be the MS Word document. I have found that different versions of MS Word do weird things to hyperlinks. For example, MS Word 2002 has a feature that automatically updates hyperlinks to try to point them to where ever the reference file may be. For example, if within your Word document you have a link to open a file on computer # 1 residing in a personal folder called "My files", and you load that same MS Word document onto another computer, MS Word 2002 will try to find that same file name on the 2nd computer and "update" the hyperlink (actually rewrite it inside the Word document). If the file is not there, MS Word sometimes erases the link entirely. Maybe that is the problem, or something like it.

Here is what you do. Open Activity 1.2, go to page 5, paragraph 6, and right-click on the link that is imbedded in the word, "here". Choose the open menu to "edit the hyperlink", and you should see the entire cel:url link laid out in the edit field. It should be long, and begin with the words, cel://Follow/Sol:Earth/2003" etc. If you do not see that cel:url, then something has happened to the MS Word document links, probably due to MS Word's annoying attempt to keep them updated. If that appears to occur, post me back and I'll tell you what to do to try to fix the problem.

Conversely, if the cel:url looks good and you click on it but nothing happens, let me know and we'll troubleshoot further.

Regards,

Frank

StarCrazy

Post #20by StarCrazy » 28.04.2004, 00:23

Hi Frank,
Well...when I click on the hyperlink, a message appears...
"The address of this site is not valid. Check the address and try again."

The hyperlink looks good and I tried to modify the link to the best of my knowledge, but no success. I'm using Word X for Mac...it's copyright hints on 2001-2002 version.
I'm looking forward to doing the rest of the activities, regardless of whether the links will work or not. They're great...thankyou for your work.

Thanks for your help
Chris
"I believe a leaf of grass is no less than the journeywork of the stars" Walt Whitman - Song of Myself: Leaves of Grass 1855

Return to “Celestia Users”