New feature? object & relative speed display

General discussion about Celestia that doesn't fit into other forums.
Topic author
JackHiggins
With us: 21 years 6 months

New feature? object & relative speed display

Post #1by JackHiggins » 12.06.2003, 00:30

Heres a feature which would be a nice addition to the verbose HUD..

Would it be possible to have two extra readings added- one showing the speed of the observer moving through space (following the Shuttle etc), and the other showing the relative speed of another object (the Earth below), if one was selected.

I know there is already a "speed" reading, but this is only if you're manually flying through space.

For things like the voyager flybys, you could see how gravity boosts affected the speed of the spacecraft, etc.

Good idea? It might be very hard to impement of course, i don't know...
- Jack Higgins
Jack's Celestia Add-ons
And visit my Celestia Gallery too!

abiogenesis
With us: 22 years

Post #2by abiogenesis » 12.06.2003, 02:41

That would be a simple vector subtraction, if Celestia used velocity vectors. However, I'm pretty sure the positions of objects are specified explicitly. .xyz files, for instance, are just a list of time/position pairs.

Of cource, it wouldn't be too hard to approximate...

- a b i o g e n e s i s -

pint
With us: 21 years

Re: New feature? object & relative speed display

Post #3by pint » 12.06.2003, 21:49

JackHiggins wrote:one showing the speed of the observer moving through space (following the Shuttle etc), and the other showing the relative speed of another object (the Earth below), if one was selected.

relative speed would be nice. however, there is no such thing as speed compared to space. there is no main coordinate system. the only possibility to measure the speed relative to some other objects.

Topic author
JackHiggins
With us: 21 years 6 months

Post #4by JackHiggins » 12.06.2003, 23:10

pint wrote:relative speed would be nice. however, there is no such thing as speed compared to space. there is no main coordinate system. the only possibility to measure the speed relative to some other objects.

I was thinking of speed compared to the sun/whatever other star it's orbiting around...? since stars in celestia don't move, and the galaxy doesn't either, this would be a good thing to measure from?!
- Jack Higgins

Jack's Celestia Add-ons

And visit my Celestia Gallery too!

Kendrix
With us: 22 years 1 month

Post #5by Kendrix » 13.06.2003, 08:00

Relative speed to the current selection for example !

Return to “Celestia Users”