ONE central place for Celestia addons

General discussion about Celestia that doesn't fit into other forums.
Topic author
EarthMoon
With us: 1 year 10 months

ONE central place for Celestia addons

Post #1by EarthMoon » 14.11.2023, 19:31

I am thinking about a simple new website where I will upload many of the addons on this forum for quicker browsing (with categories and sub-categories) and so the staff can clean many of the attachments and replace download links with links to that new website. There are so many websites (the Motherlode, the celestia.mobi site, this forum, etc.) where Celestia addons are wildly scattered through so ONE central place for addons would be more user-friendly (especially for users who don't know those websites listed before) than lots of different places. This forum is more like a big chaos: One thread was created with an addon, then the creator forgot about it and created another thread for a new version of that addon and then another thread was closed (like the old Spacecraft for Celestia thread which had about 100 pages which makes overview EVEN harder) and a new one was created with new addons and old versions were not deleted (flooding attachments) and ... and ... and ... Definitely too much chaos! Many people also upload many related addons as separate addons that putting everything into ONE single file where users can delete the files they don't need rather than clicking 1000x "Download".
Some example topics with lots of chaos, not putting all into one single addon/topic or not-deleted old versions etc. (not saying any names, just posting links):

viewtopic.php?f=23&t=23836
viewtopic.php?f=23&t=18410 (posting one addon for each asteroid group rather than packaging all .ssc's into one so users won't have to download 547...... zips to their hard drive and getting lost in a huge zip flood needing to extract each single zip file manually and then having 86535 subfolders in the Celestia extras directory totally losing overview but one so users can extract all in one and delete/disable the asteroids they dont need without having to download a single zip each time they want a different asteroid group AND additionally posting a zip for each number range, this means that one asteroid is most likely twice somewhere in the zips: once in a numbered addon and once in a group addon - if a user accidentally/coincidentally installs both zips containing conflicting asteroids, they will have duplicates and Celestia might act weirdly due to this and then users delete the addon thinking the addon is broken)
viewtopic.php?f=2&t=17034
viewtopic.php?f=23&t=18705
viewtopic.php?f=23&t=20207
viewtopic.php?f=23&t=19623
viewtopic.php?f=23&t=24263 (could be packaged into a "Dwarf planets for Celestia" or general "Minor planets for Celestia" topic)
viewtopic.php?f=23&t=24261
viewtopic.php?f=23&t=21114 (one Celestia Origin thread)
viewtopic.php?f=23&t=24190 (new Celestia Origin thread, the old one could theoretically be deleted)
... any many more!

All of this is currently only a concept, so feedback/suggestions/etc. are welcome (below).
Crew: "We are orbiting a black hole."
Control Center: "Do not fly too close to the black hole!"
Crew: "OH OOPS..."

Celestia versions:
1.6.3, 1.7.0 sRGB, 1.6.1 ED (plain)

Current projects:
Celestial (a Celestia-like program written in Python)

SevenSpheres
With us: 4 years 7 months

Post #2by SevenSpheres » 14.11.2023, 20:29

The celestia.mobi site is intended to be one central place for Celestia addons (as was the Motherlode when it was maintained). Trying to make another site with this purpose would likely make things more chaotic. I've tried to make things easier to find by making a list of addon threads and list of my addons, as well as a website for my addons (currently just Nearby Exoplanets). You could create a website specifically for your addons, as you suggested here.

I do agree that gironde should combine his asteroid family addons into one instead of posting hundreds of tiny attachments. I think these are scripts, not addons adding duplicate asteroids - which makes them smaller and easier to combine. I don't agree that the old Celestia Origin threads should be deleted, since post history would be lost. Maybe the attachments in those threads could be deleted, but not the threads themselves.
My Addons: viewtopic.php?f=23&t=19978 • Discord server admin
Celestia versions: 1.5.1, 1.6.1, 1.6.2, 1.7.0, and some unofficial versions like Celestia-ED

DaveBowman2001
With us: 5 years 10 months

Post #3by DaveBowman2001 » 14.11.2023, 23:06

The problem with merging ALL addons into one package would result of downloading them too difficult and most of the time would crash before finishing the process, unless if it is inside a torrent file like Origin does.

This has now been the purpose of the celestia.mobi site, to act as a new central hub for all addons posted in the Forums, Motherlode, and even from some authors' personal websites (except the wixsite as that is owned by some banned douchebag from a long time ago) in addition to being built that way for users of Celestia's Android/iOS versions
"Open the pod-bay doors HAL"
"I'm sorry Dave, I'm afraid I can't do that"

Spacecrafts Addon Developer since 2018
Celestia Versions: 1.6.9 (Mobile), 1.6.3 and 1.7.0 (Windows)

Return to “Celestia Users”