Simulate an earth based telescope

General discussion about Celestia that doesn't fit into other forums.
Topic author
TJackson
With us: 2 years 4 months

Simulate an earth based telescope

Post #1by TJackson » 28.12.2021, 02:44

Is it possible to simulate the view of another planet or one of its moons from a ground based telescope? Always from the same location on Earth and also at high magnification? Thanks

SevenSpheres
With us: 4 years 7 months

Post #2by SevenSpheres » 28.12.2021, 03:06

To go to a specific location on Earth:
  • "Navigation" menu -> "Goto Object"
  • Go to Earth at the latitude and longitude you want
  • Press Ctrl+G to land
  • Press Ctrl+F to enable alt-azimuth mode
To view a planet or other object at high magnification:
  • Select the object and press T to track it (keep it centered on the screen)
  • Use the , key to decrease the field of view (you can also use . to increase the field of view)
My Addons: viewtopic.php?f=23&t=19978 • Discord server admin
Celestia versions: 1.5.1, 1.6.1, 1.6.2, 1.7.0, and some unofficial versions like Celestia-ED

Topic author
TJackson
With us: 2 years 4 months

Post #3by TJackson » 29.12.2021, 00:58

Way cool. Thanks much, Seven Spheres. In that case, I believe that the Celestia Controls file should read:

, ........ Narrow Field Of View [Shift+Up Drag]
. ........ Widen Field Of View [Shift+Down Drag]

and not:

, ........ Narrow Field Of View [Shift+Left Drag]
. ........ Widen Field Of View [Shift+Left Drag]

as it currently does. It also appears to be wrong on page 49 of the User Guide (4.2Mb) and page 48 (8.0Mb) under Mouse Functions. I gave up after trying to Shift+Left Drag, thinking that I didn't know what I was doing or something. Should have kept trying with ',' and '.', as you suggest. Shall I report that as a bug?

I notice that at max magnification, Io jiggles in the view from Earth. Is that atmospheric, zero point energy or tiny vibrations from a simulated train rolling past some miles away? Or just the limits of the algorithm?
Last edited by TJackson on 29.12.2021, 01:10, edited 1 time in total.

SevenSpheres
With us: 4 years 7 months

Post #4by SevenSpheres » 29.12.2021, 01:06

TJackson wrote:In that case, I believe that the Celestia Controls file should read:

, ........ Narrow Field Of View [Shift+Up Drag]
. ........ Widen Field Of View [Shift+Down Drag]

and not:

, ........ Narrow Field Of View [Shift+Left Drag]
. ........ Widen Field Of View [Shift+Left Drag]

as it currently does. I gave up after trying to Shift+Left Drag, thinking that I didn't know what I was doing or something. Should have kept trying with ',' and '.', as you suggest. Shall I report that as a bug?

It looks like you're correct here; that should indeed be changed in the controls file. I had never used Shift+Drag before, just the comma and period keys.

TJackson wrote:I notice that at max magnification, Io jiggles in the view from Earth. Is that atmospheric, zero point energy or tiny vibrations from a simulated train rolling past some miles away? Or just the limits of the algorithm?

Most likely the last. Celestia doesn't simulate zero-point energy or trains!
My Addons: viewtopic.php?f=23&t=19978 • Discord server admin
Celestia versions: 1.5.1, 1.6.1, 1.6.2, 1.7.0, and some unofficial versions like Celestia-ED

Return to “Celestia Users”