Celestia Installation Guides

General discussion about Celestia that doesn't fit into other forums.
Topic author
SevenSpheres
With us: 4 years 7 months

Celestia Installation Guides

Post #1by SevenSpheres » 20.11.2020, 16:48

This topic has guides for new users on how to install Celestia, sorted by operating system. The Celestia Discord server has had similar installation guides since April 2019; I've now made it a forum topic to increase visibility, decrease clutter on the server, and make it easier to edit. There's also a similar page on Wikibooks. See also this post for a guide to installing Celestia addons and keeping default content up to date, on any operating system.

This guide is mainly for installing current versions of Celestia (1.6.3 and 1.7.0). Old versions of Celestia can be downloaded from the Celestia Archive Repository.

First, select your operating system:

Desktop
Mobile

If Celestia, or the version of it you want to install, isn't available for your operating system, you may have to compile the program from source code. The GitHub repository's INSTALL.md file has some instructions for doing this, primarily for Unix-based systems, but I recommend not attempting it if you're not experienced in compiling software.

Users are welcome to clarify the installation guides if I omitted something or got something wrong!
My Addons: viewtopic.php?f=23&t=19978 • Discord server admin
Celestia versions: 1.5.1, 1.6.1, 1.6.2, 1.7.0, and some unofficial versions like Celestia-ED

Topic author
SevenSpheres

Installing Celestia on Windows

Post #2by SevenSpheres » 20.11.2020, 16:50

For Windows users, I recommend installing Celestia version 1.6.3 or 1.7.0. Celestia 1.7.0 is currently in development, so it has all the latest features, but it may have some bugs.

Note that if you already have an older version of Celestia installed, the installer for a new version may try to install it in the same directory. This can be fixed by temporarily renaming the old directory to "Celestia161" or similar. Be sure to install Celestia somewhere other than Program Files, or you won't be able to modify Celestia's files. I use C:/Programs.

For Celestia 1.6.3, as well as the older version Celestia 1.6.2, simply download and run the installer, which can be found on the Download page.

An experimental Windows installer for the in-development version Celestia 1.7.0 can be found in this thread. On Windows 10, Celestia 1.7.0 can also be installed through the Microsoft Store, though this version has several limitations. See this thread for more information.

Alternatively, a Celestia 1.7.0 install can be set up through GitHub. This installation process requires some step-by-step instructions. You may need an unzipper program such as 7-Zip to extract some of the files. You can also update the binaries in an existing install by starting from Step Two.

Step One: Download the files from GitHub.
Go to Celestia's GitHub repository and click the green "Code" button, then "Download ZIP", or if you have GitHub Desktop, "Open with GitHub Desktop". Make a folder somewhere (I use C:/Programs) called "Celestia 1.7.0" or similar, and move the files there. You will also need to download the files from the CelestiaContent repository and put them in the same folder.
170install1.png

Step Two: Download the binaries (i.e. the actual program).
Currently, Windows builds of Celestia 1.7.0 are generated through GitHub Actions and require a GitHub account to download. Click on the latest build (at the top of the list), then scroll down to "Artifacts", and click on either "celestia-windows-x64" (64-bit) or "celestia-windows-x86" (32-bit).
artifacts.png
The "Artifacts" section of the GitHub Actions page, with 64-bit & 32-bit Celestia binaries.

Step Three: Add the binaries to your Celestia folder.
Extract the zip file, and navigate to the "build/src/celestia" folder. This will contain three "RelWithDebInfo" folders, two of them in "qt6" and "win32" folders. Move all files from each "RelWithDebInfo" folder to your Celestia 1.7.0 folder. Do not move the folder itself, but its contents.
If updating an existing install, also move the "shaders" folder in the zip file to your Celestia 1.7.0 folder, allowing existing files to be replaced.

Step Four: Run Celestia, either "celestia-qt.exe" or "celestia-win.exe". You may want to create a desktop shortcut to one of these.
Note: "celestia-win" is the classic Windows native interface, while "celestia-qt" is the updated Qt interface.

Also available for Windows:
- Celestia-ED, a 1.6.1-based version with sound and optimized for Frank Gregorio's Celestia Educational Activities.
- Celestia Extended Pack, an early 1.7.0-based version with improved star rendering. Actually, this was a prototype of Celestia Origin.
Celestia versions: 1.5.1, 1.6.1, 1.6.2, 1.7.0, and some unofficial versions like Celestia-ED

Topic author
SevenSpheres

Installing Celestia on macOS

Post #3by SevenSpheres » 20.11.2020, 16:50

For Mac users, I recommend installing Celestia version 1.7.0 or 1.6.3. Celestia 1.7.0 is currently in development, so it has all the latest features, but it may have some bugs.

For Celestia 1.6.3, as well as the older version 1.6.2, the installer can be found on the Download page.

For Celestia 1.7.0, the installer can be found through the App Store or GitHub; see here.

Topic author
SevenSpheres

Installing Celestia on GNU/Linux

Post #4by SevenSpheres » 20.11.2020, 16:50

For Linux users, I recommend installing Celestia version 1.7.0 or 1.6.3. Celestia 1.7.0 is currently in development, so it has all the latest features, but it may have some bugs.

The main website has instructions for installing Celestia on Debian, Ubuntu, and OpenSUSE. The latter page also has instructions for installing the AppImage version of Celestia on other Linux distros.

Celestia may also be available in your distro's package repository, though it may be an old version. You can also try the GitHub repository's INSTALL.md file, which has instructions for installing Celestia on some Linux distros, and instructions for building Celestia from source code yourself.

Alternatively, you can use Wine to run the Windows version of Celestia, as available on the Download page.
Detailed instructions from Anthony_B_Russo10
Anthony_B_Russo10 wrote:The Windows installer can be found here: https://celestiaproject.space/download.html
Wine can be found here: https://wiki.winehq.org/Download

When using Celestia under Wine, you have to install wine first which can be done from either the link above or from your distro's Software Manager/App Store. The App store is the recommended way to install Wine.
[image]

Upon first run of Wine you will be greeted with this window indicating that wine is looking for some missing packages. If you already have wine installed you can skip down to the step with the installer.
[image]

Then you will see the popup window for the Wine Mono installer, click install. Once it is done it will go back to the smaller windows.
[image]

Then you will get the Wine Gecko Installer, click install and repeat this process when the Window pops up a second time.
[image]

Once it is done, follow the same steps as if you were installing Celestia under Windows.
[image]

Then open the program and enjoy.
[image]

Topic author
SevenSpheres

Installing Celestia on iOS or Android

Post #5by SevenSpheres » 20.11.2020, 16:51

Mobile Celestia for iOS and Android can be installed from the App Store/Play Store, or from celestia.mobi. It's a modified version of Celestia 1.7.0 (the backend code is the same, only the frontend is different). The Android version of Celestia also works on Chrome OS.

Topic author
SevenSpheres

Installing Celestia on other operating systems

Post #6by SevenSpheres » 20.11.2020, 17:02

AmigaOS 4

Celestia version 1.6.0 is available for AmigaOS 4 from here. See this thread for more information.

BSD

Celestia version 1.6.1 or 1.6.2 is available from several BSD package repositories.

Chrome OS

Celestia version 1.7.0 is available for both Android and Chrome OS through the Play Store, or from celestia.mobi.

Xbox OS

Celestia version 1.7.0 is available for Xbox OS (or any other Windows-family OS) through the Microsoft Store. See this thread for more information.

Topic author
SevenSpheres

Installing addons for Celestia

Post #7by SevenSpheres » 20.11.2020, 17:02

Addons are files that you can install that modify Celestia in some way. Often they will include new objects, or they may include better or higher-resolution textures for existing objects. Addons will typically contain a text file called "README.txt". In it, they will often say to "move this file to the extras directory". What does this mean? Well, to show all of the stars, planets, and other astronomical objects, Celestia reads files from a folder in your computer, called "Celestia" if you're on a Windows or Linux system or "CelestiaResources" if you're on a Mac.

On Windows or Linux, open the "Celestia" directory and you'll see the "extras" directory right there. If you're on a Mac, right-click on the Celestia app and click on "Show Package Contents". Then, go to "Contents" → "Resources" → "CelestiaResources". All the stuff in this folder (such as the "data" folder, "models" folder, "celestia.cfg", etc.) is used by Celestia to render objects. There is also a folder in there called "extras". On mobile Celestia, instructions for finding the "extras" directory can be found here. When instructions tell you to move a file to the "extras directory", they are talking about this file.

So to recap: to install an addon (in the vast majority of cases), simply move it to the "extras" folder.

The Celestia Motherlode used to be the main addon repository for Celestia, but it is no longer maintained and no longer accepts new addon submissions. If the Motherlode is offline, most addons there can also be found in the archive. Many addons can be found on this forum or on other websites - see this thread for a list. The celestia.mobi website's resources page is a kind of modern Motherlode. Addons can be submitted to it through GitHub, and will appear in mobile Celestia's "Add-ons" menu.

To create your own addons, refer to Selden's guide and the guides on Wikibooks, especially the tutorials section (which I took some of the text in this post from). Cubic's Resource and Tutorial Collection has useful links for creating your own models and textures for use in addons.

Celestia Origin is a large collection of addons which can't be installed by simply moving it to the extras directory. To install it, follow the instructions in its thread. Note that Celestia Origin is not yet fully compatible with Celestia version 1.7.0. However, an experimental (and likely buggy) version of Celestia Origin for mobile Celestia is available here.

Keeping default content up to date

If you're using Celestia 1.6.x, the program's default content (textures, catalogs of objects, etc) is outdated. You can update it by installing addons, but you can also update it to the latest default content (used in 1.7.0 betas) by doing the following. Even if you're using 1.7.0, it's often faster to manually update content instead of waiting for the various beta maintainers to do it.

1. Go to the CelestiaContent repository on GitHub and click the green "Code" button, then "Download ZIP", or if you have GitHub Desktop, "Open with GitHub Desktop".
  2. Move the files you've downloaded into your root Celestia folder (Windows, Linux) or CelestiaResources (macOS) - see above for where to find CelestiaResources. Allow old files to be replaced by new ones.
  3. Update the first part of your celestia.cfg file to the latest version of it. Since celestia.cfg defines things other than content (e.g. fonts), replacing the entire file may break things on 1.6.x, so just replace the first part of it (through the end of the StarTextures block).
  4. And you're done!

On mobile, modifying files outside of extras is more complicated - see this page for instructions.

Topic author
SevenSpheres

Post #8by SevenSpheres » 20.11.2020, 17:03

reserved

Topic author
SevenSpheres

Post #9by SevenSpheres » 20.11.2020, 17:06

Discord archive
#how-to-install-celestia-170
Lafuente_Astronomy (2019-04-06) wrote:Alright, I decided to create a simple guide on how to install Celestia 1.7.0, for those who are new to the program. This will be the process on how to Install Celestia 1.7.0
Lafuente_Astronomy (2020-03-24) wrote:Obviously, time marches on, and so does Celestia 1.7.0. I have fully deleted all of the original installation steps in this guide and will be replacing them in a moment (Thankfully, they have all been replaced)

I will also detail how to download Celestia 1.7.0 for Mac and Linux as well (Or if someone else wants to do it instead, you may)

CELESTIA 1.7.0 INSTALL FOR WINDOWS
OS allowed: Windows XP(Questionable), Windows Vista, Windows 7, Windows 8, Windows 8.1 and Windows 10
Note: You can use any unzipping program to unzip the files needed. In the case of this guide, I use WinRAR. Other unzipping programs like 7Zip, Keka, Ashampoo, and the like are applicable as well

Step 1: Download The Necessary Files
Go to this website on GitHub: https://github.com/CelestiaProject/Celestia. It should look like this:
[image]

Look for the obvious green button that says "Clone or download", click on it, then click "Download ZIP", as shown here
[image]

It will take some time, maybe a minute or 2 for the entire ZIP to be done. But while the file is downloading, it's time to prepare its home. Create a folder for it, give it any name you want but it should at least have the words "Celestia 1.7.0". The folder can be placed anywhere, as demonstrated in here:
[image]

Once the ZIP file is done downloading, open it. It should look like this:
(Remember again, I am using WinRAR, so the views of the files from other unzipping programs will look different. But regardless, what's important is that you see the files, names and all)
[image]

Open "Celestia-master" and see all its contents as seen here:
[image]

These are all the main files (Aside from the binaries files that we will deal with in Step 2) that serve as the main base of Celestia 1.7.0's data. Prepare to unzip/extract them as seen here:
[image]

And then extract them to the folder you have recently made for it, as seen here:
[image]

(P.S I am also downloading the latest version of Celestia 1.7.0(At the time of the composing of this guide) at the time that I made this entire guide, so it's also as much a lesson for me as it is for you)

Once all the files from Celestia-master have been fully unzipped, go to the file you have made for it, and check it again. If you are a meticulous person, you can try to check if there are any missing files or other problems. But anyways, all of it should be arranged like this:
Section 1
[image]

Section 2:
(Missing in the list but is actually there: win32-installer-image)
[image]

If you've checked that all the files from the Celestia-master ZIP has been fully moved from the ZIP to your folder without any loss or corruption of files whatsoever, then it is a successful extraction. And thus, you are done with Step 1

There are two types of versions presented in the History Section: Stable releases, in the form of 1.7.0-dev-XXX, with the number only and testing releases in the form of 1.7.0-dev-XXX-xxxxxxxx, with the number and random letters. Download only the latest stable release, if the latest in History is a testing release
[image]

Download the latest stable releases files, which are the qt and win files, as seen in the first image of Step 2. They are both in ZIP format

Unlike the Celestia-master ZIP file, they are quicker to finish

Once they are done, choose which file to add first, be it qt or win. We will then, proceed to tell you how to extract the qt and win files to your folder, exactly in that order

For qt:
[image]

This is what it will look like when you first open up the qt ZIP file. Clicking on the "qt" folder will lead you to this:
[image]

Simply click "Release", and then you will see this:
[image]

These are the files that serve as the qt section of the Binaries for Celestia 1.7.0.
You just have to simply extract them to your folder, as seen here:
[image]

Once that is done, you may feel free to either check up with the folder (If you installed win first) or proceed to extract the win files to your folder (If you haven't done it yet)

For win:
[image]

This is what it will look like when you first open up the win ZIP file. Clicking on the "win32" folder will lead you to this:
[image]

Same as with the qt ZIP file, simply click on "Release", and you will see this:
[image]

These are the files that serve as the win section of the Binaries for Celestia 1.7.0
And just as simply as the qt files, extract them to your folder as seen here:
[image]

Once that is done, you may feel free to either check up with the folder (If you installed qt first) or proceed to extract the qt files to your folder (If you haven't done it yet)

At this point, both qt and win files are now both in your Celestia 1.7.0 folder, alongside the Celestia-master files that you have added back in Step 1

So, go back to your folder, and again, feel free to check it to see if any files are possibly lost or corrupted in transition. It may not happen but it's best to make sure

So, here's how they would look like:
Section 1:
[image]

Section 2:
[image]

Section 3:
[image]

If you've checked that all the files from both the qt and win ZIP has been fully moved from the ZIP to your folder without any loss of files, it is a successful extraction. And with a fully and successfully extracted Celestia-master ZIP file, you have but only 1 more step...

Step 3: ENJOY!!!!!!
[image]

Enjoy using Celestia 1.7.0. You deserved it

Notes:

You can also add addons in order to spice up your Celestia Experience. Be careful though, as putting too much addons will greatly affect the graphic performance of Celestia and thus cause it to lag

You also have constantly check on both GitHub and AppVeyor to check for the latest versions of both The Celestia Master ZIP file and The Stable Celestia Binaries ZIP Files, so that you can get the fixes, changes and improvements that our developers will add in to Celestia 1.7.0 over time.

Since Celestia 1.7.0 is a work-in-progress, it is subject to all these fixes, changes and improvements from time to time, so if you want your version of Celestia 1.7.0 to be the latest version yet, you'll have to constantly update your Celestia 1.7.0 files with the new data from both GitHub and AppVeyor

Which, in my personal opinion, isn't that hard to do
#how-to-install-celestia-162
Anthony_B_Russo10 (2020-03-24) wrote:Install for Mac OS X/macOS
Will work under Mac OS X 10.7 Lion, 10.8 Mountain Lion, 10.9 Mavericks, OS X 10.10 Yosemite, 10.11 El Capetian, macOS 10.12 Sierra, 10.13 High Sierra, 10.14 Mojave, and 10.15 Catalina.
Intel only binary!

1. Go to the Celestia forums, and click on the 1.6.2 development thread topic. Then scroll down to Markerz's post and click the blue link and download the zip file.
Beta 1 link: viewtopic.php?f=4&t=19961&p=146324&hilit=macos#p146324
Beta 2 link: viewtopic.php?f=4&t=19961&p=147582&hilit=macos#p147582
[image]

2. Proceed to click on the file after it downloads inside of your browser's download manager. Once you click on it, the Archive Utility will open and un-archive the zip file for you.
[image]

3. Once Archive Utility is done, it will open a Finder window to the same location as the zip folder (like your Downloads folder) .
[image]

4. Click on the application from inside of the folder where it was un-archived to and it should open the splash screen.
[image]

5. Once the program is done loading, it will go to Earth and enjoy the program.
[image]
Lafuente_Astronomy (2020-03-24) wrote:CELESTIA 1.6.2 INSTALL FOR WINDOWS
OS allowed: Windows XP(Questionable), Windows Vista, Windows 7, Windows 8, Windows 8.1 and Windows 10
Installing Celestia 1.6.2 is a whole lot like installing Celestia 1.6.1, since it is merely a bugfix improvement of Celestia 1.6.1, so the installation steps are almost the same, with a few differences. But, let us begin:

Step 1: Install the Celestia 1.6.2 Installer
Go to this page in the Forum: viewtopic.php?f=4&t=19961, and click the 2 links, "Bintray" and "GitHub" inscribed in this section:
Windows builds are available at Bintray and Github. The same installation file for both 64 and 32 bit versions.
Clicking either will open up a "Save as", from which you can save the installer anywhere in your PC, as seen here. Once that is saved, you have finished Step 1
Note: wherever you saved the installer is where it would also be in the files, so it shouldn't be too hard looking for it, as long as you remember the name of the file category you placed it in

Beta 3 Link is here. Get it from there: https://github.com/CelestiaProject/Celestia/releases/tag/1.6.2-beta3
[image]

Step 2: Accept the GNU General Public License Agreement
After saving it, you may click on the installer. This will then pop up the User Account control window, also known as the "Do you want to run this file on your computer?" window (Which unfortunately I cannot save as a screenshot), to which you obviously click the "Yes" button

Afterwards, the Celestia 1.6.2 Setup Wizard window appears, and this is what you see:
[image]

Feel free to read the GNU General Public License contained but if you want to proceed to the next step, you can simply press "I accept the agreement", which unlocks the "Next" key, and you may proceed. And that completes Step 2

Step 3: Select Destination Location(Or Not)
After pressing "Next" in the earlier step, it leads you to this
[image]

You can either press "Next" again or if you want a specific place for your upcoming Celestia 1.6.2, you may browse and find a location for it. However, we recommend that it be placed in Programs, and thus, just skip this section and complete Step 3

Step 4: Select Start Menu Folder(Or Not)
After clicking "Next" in the last step, it leads you to this:
[image]

It's the same as the previous step, where you could either browse and give it a different start folder, or just skip that and click "Next". We recommend the latter. Whatever you do, you will have accomplished Step 4 afterwards

Step 5: Select Additional Tasks(Or Not)
After clicking "Next" in the last step, it leads you to this:
[image]

By default, all 3 boxes have been checked. You could either remove one, 2 or all checks but we recommend not to do it, and just press "Next" and go to the next step

Step 5: Begin the Installation
After clicking "Next"(Thankfully for the last time) in the last step, it leads you to this:
[image]

This merely gives you information and details on the choices you have made in the prior steps(If you did make them).(I forgot to mention, since accepting the agreement, there is a "Back" button, in which you can use if you made some accidental mistakes on your setups prior.) After this, the program is ready to install, and as such, instead of a "Next" button, it's now the "Install" button. You may click it to continue to the next step

Step 6: Watch It Install
Just watch the green bar that represents the installation fill up. It takes less than a few seconds. You may reach the next step once it's done
[image]

Step 7: Finish The Setup
After the program is done installing, this is what you will see:
[image]

There are 2 checkboxes which determines the first actions of the newly-installed Celestia 1.6.2. You may uncheck one of them or both. We recommend not to remove any checks, and thus, click "Finish". Afterwards, there is but one final step...

Step 8: ENJOY!!!!
[image]

Enjoy using Celestia 1.6.2. You deserved it!
Anthony_B_Russo10 (2020-03-24) wrote:Installing Celestia on GNU/Linux
This method of installing 1.6.2 will be using Wine.
Flies for 1.6.2's Windows version can be found here: viewtopic.php?f=4&t=19961
Wine can be found here: https://wiki.winehq.org/Download
When using Celestia under Wine, you have to install wine first which can be done from either the link above or from your distro's Software Manager/App Store. The App store is the recommended way to install Wine.
[image]

Upon first run of Wine you will be greeted with this window indicating that wine is looking for some missing packages. If you already have wine installed you can skip down to the step with the installer.
[image]

Then you will see the popup window for the Wine Mono installer, click install. Once it is done it will go back to the smaller windows.
[image]

Then you will get the Wine Gecko Installer, click install and repeat this process when the Window pops up a second time.
[image]

Once it is done, follow the same steps as if you were installing Celestia under Windows
[image]

[image]
#how-to-install-celestia-161
Lafuente_Astronomy (2019-04-06) wrote:Unlike Celestia 1.7.0, which is a version in development, Celestia 1.6.1 is a complete product, and thus has a proper installation process.

CELESTIA 1.6.1 INSTALL FOR WINDOWS
1: Download The Setup File:
Go to this webpage in the Official Celestia Website: https://celestia.space/download.html
In there, there are several download links depending on what type of computer you own. There is also a source code if you want to do some tinkering yourself.
[image]

Actually, you can download the other links there but since we're going to install Celestia 1.6.1, we'll focus on that instead. So I choose to download Celestia 1.6.1 in Windows, and so I click the "Download 1.6.1 (x86, 33M)" button, and in a few minutes, there is a setup file downloaded in one of my files as shown here:
[image]

2: Set Up The File For Installation:
Click on the "celestia-win32-1.6.1" file. It will go to a "Do you want to run this file on your computer" window. Obviously click "Yes". From there, you'll be introduced to an Installation Wizard Window.
[image]

Clicking "Next" will bring you to the Terms and Conditions of Celestia. You can check the circle saying "I accept the program" either with or without reading the Terms and Conditions. But I suggest especially for those who want to be assured of the program's authenticity to read the terms and conditions.
[image]

Upon pressing Next", it will bring you to a "Select Destination Folder", in which you can place where you want your Celestia to be downloaded. I recommend placing it on "Program Files x86 but if you place it anywhere else, it would still work as fine, like for example, I'm placing it on my Disk E. You can also name the folder that would contain it, as I named the folder "Celestia 1.6.1" for example:
[image]

Pressing "Next" will lead you to a "Select Start Menu Folder" You can modify where you want to place but I recommend not doing so unless you know where to put it.
[image]

Pressing "Next" onwards will lead you to the "Select Additional Tasks", in which you can allow or not allow certain features to start working upon Celestia's installation. I recommend not changing anything, especially if it's your first time
[image]

Clicking "Next" for the last time will bring you to the "Ready To Install", which gives you an overview of the options you did in the previous files. You can go back and change a few things if you don't like the setup being prepared. But if you're confident about what you did, then get ready to Press Install
[image]

3: Watch It Install:
Watch as your Celestia 1.6.1 gets installed in less than a minute.
[image]

After Installation, this is what appears. Click "Finish" and get ready to enjoy Celestia!
[image]

4: You're Finally Done!
Open up Celestia and Enjoy!
[image]

Note: You can also add addons in order to spice up your Celestia Experience. Be careful though, as putting too much addons will greatly affect the graphic performance of Celestia and thus cause it to lag
selden (2019-04-07) wrote:Win10 is much more protective about its system directories than Win7 (and getting more so with time), so I recommend installing Celestia in a directory that you own. FWIW, I use C:\MyPrograms.
Lafuente_Astronomy (2019-04-07) wrote:Hello Selden. Welcome to the Celestia Discord. And yes, I place my stuff in My Computer, which is a directory that I own
Anthony_B_Russo10 (2020-03-24) wrote:Install for 1.6.1 under Mac OS X/macOS
Will work under Mac OS X 10.3 Panther, 10.4 Tiger, 10.5 Leopard, 10.6 Snow Leopard, 10.7 Lion, 10.8 Mountain Lion, 10.9 Mavericks, OS X 10.10 Yosemite, 10.11 El Capetian, macOS 10.12 Sierra, 10.13 High Sierra, and 10.14 Mojave.
Note: This version is a Universal Binary, it will run on Intel and PowerPC Macs using Tiger or Leopard.

1. Go to the download section of the main Celestia site and download the DMG file.
https://celestia.space/download.html
[image]

2. Once the DMG file download is complete, click on it in your browser's download section and Finder will verify the file.
[image]

3. Once it is done verifying, Finder will open a windows like the one pictured and you can proceed to transfer the application bundle into your "Applications" folder.
[image]

4. Once you have transfered the application bundle into your "Applications" folder, open a normal Finder window. Then, unmount the DMG file by clicking on the triangle next to the files place in the Finder window. Once done, proceed to click on the application inside of the "Applications" folder and enjoy the Program.
[image]

[image]

Installing Celestia on GNU/Linux
There are two ways of installing Celestia under Linux:
1. From the .deb files here if you are using Debian/Ubuntu/Linux Mint or other Debian/Ubuntu based distros: https://bintray.com/package/files/celestia/releas ... Path=pool/c/celestia&tab=files
2. or if you are using a non-Debian/Ubuntu distro like Fedora or OpenSUSE use Wine to run the Windows version: https://wiki.winehq.org/Download

Update: you can install the linux native versions of Celestia on OpenSUSE Tumbleweed and Leap with the commands featured in the program's github repo README.MD file: https://github.com/CelestiaProject/Celestia/blob/master/INSTALL.md

[image]

[image]

[image]

[image]

Once it is done, follow the same steps as if you were installing Celestia under Windows.
[image]

[image]

For the .deb method
You will have to get the files from here: https://bintray.com/celestia/releases-deb/celesti ... readmore#files/pool/c/celestia
You will need the Commons .deb files (free and non-free), the main installer, and either the GTK or Glut frontends.
[image]

These are all the files you should have for the Celestia install. Ignore the last two file .deb files.
[image]

First install the first commons .deb files (free then non-free) and enter your password when prompted to.
[image]

Then you install either the GTK or Glut front ends, the package installer will list out the additional packages you need to install, hit ok then enter your password when prompted.
[image]

Then you can install the main applications itself, enter your password when prompted.
[image]

Once done, the application will have a short cut in your distros quick launch menu for applications, you can also pin it to your desktop if you wish under certain desktop environments (i.e. Xfce).
[image]

Once done you can launch the application and enjoy.
[image]
#how-to-install-celestia-origin
Lafuente_Astronomy (2019-04-06) wrote:Content coming soon on April 30
Lafuente_Astronomy (2019-04-30) wrote:Art Blos has officially released Celestia Origin Version 8, and as such, we will show you the guide to installing it
Update: Eversince Version 11, the instructions have been changed. And as requested by Art Blos, I'll change the instructions to reflect that
Lafuente_Astronomy (2020-06-10) wrote:This time, the Instructions will be quoted straight from the instruction guide in the Forum topic itself, with some helpful commentary as supplement in some places
Link: viewtopic.php?f=23&t=20307&hilit=Celestia+Origin

1) Collection installation on Windows, Linux and macOS:

1.1) Download Celestia 1.6.1 distro (or 1.6.2 for macOS):
For Windows:
https://celestia.space/cc/celestia-win-161

For macOS: download an archive from "Assets" of the latest release on the page
https://github.com/CelestiaProject/Celestia/releases
For example: https://github.com/CelestiaProject/Celestia/relea ... celestia-1.6.2-beta3-macOS.zip

For Linux: check your OS repository or use following https://bintray.com/celestia/releases-deb/celestia/view/readmore#read
Ensure that proposed Celestia's version matches with required one (1.6.1).
IMPORTANT: it's necessary to disable Celestia's packages updating to prevent installed collection damage;

1.2) Install the program at suggested standard address (on Windows) or at any other of your choice (on Windows and macOS); Linux packages will be installed to one of standard addresses automatically;

1.3) Unpack "Installers" folder from "Core" archive file manually and place it where this file located.
If you placed "Installers" folder anywhere else or installed native Celestia to non-standart address you'd need to copy full paths to archive file (without a filename) and to installed Celestia to the command line when the corresponding requests will appear;

Downloads is one of the files in which the second part of the instruction comes into play

On Windows: run Windows_Install_CO.bat as an administrator (from right-click menu);
on Linux or macOS run appropriate .sh file (on Linux you'd need to run script as a root user) after making it executable using file properties menu or the command "chmod +x <scriptname>.sh".
Follow the instructions on the screen. You may install the collection either at one of the default locations or select custom one. The backup copy of native Celestia's data will be created during the installation;

1.5) You may choose one of 7 maximum textures' resolution variants.

I will quote Art Blos directly on this one:
For 1-4 variants chosen you also will be able to install monolithic textures with 8192 x 4096 px resolutin. WARNING: these textures enhance a view of objects with models but they are not applicable for weak video cards! You may install them for a testing and then uninstall if necessary independently of the collection according to 2.1). You may do a test on Enceladus by switching textures' resolution from low to medium: on weak video card you will see black gap instead of a model.

Installation variants for modern PC and notebooks:
* 1 - "hires-64k";
* 2 - "hires-32k".
Include core installation, monolithic textures with maximum 4096 x 2048 px resolution and VT-tiles of 6 level (1 variant) and 5 level (2 variant).

Installation variants for mid-level PC and notebooks:
* 3 - "medres-16k";
* 4 - "medres-8k".
Include core installation, monolithic textures with maximum 4096 x 2048 px resolution and VT-tiles of 4 level (3 variant) and 3 level (4 variant).

Installation variants for very weak PC and most of notebooks:
* 5 - "core-4k";
* 6 - "core-2k";
* 7 - "core-1k".
Include core installation, VT-tiles of 2 level and monolithic textures with maximum 4096 x 2048 px, 2048 x 1024 px and 1024 x 512 px resolution for 5, 6 and 7 variants accordingly.

As stated, this makes Celestia Origin modifiable and thus, can be modified to not be a burden to your computer systems by not allowing the installation of certain high-quality files

1.6) If you make installation to an HDD on Windows you may need to defragment it before the first launch of Celestia Origin.
Another OS' file systems don't need a defragmentation due to these systems' features.

And you're done. You may enjoy Celestia Origin Version 11 and onwards

There is also an uninstall and Celestia Vanilla restoration process, which will be also discussed here just in case you're tired of the new stuff or simply put, your computer became more of a burden than before

2) Collection uninstallation and restoration of native Celestia:

2.1) Run Uninstall-script corresponding to your OS similary to 1.4) item and follow it's instructions.

You may choose one of two variants:
* 1 - Uninstall monolithic textures with 8192 x 4096 px resolutin only independently of the collection (see 1.5);
* 2 - Uninstall the collection completely.

Copy full path of installed Celestia to the command line when the request will appear if the script didn't find the program at it's standard location.

2.2) After Celestia's path location and detection of the backup copy an uninstallation begins according to your choice. Celestia Origin's patches located at extras\update will be deleted with the complete removal of the collection. After the complete deinstallation the restoration of native data will occur.

Now, as what Art Blos always says, "Pleasant Flight!"

Addentum: If you're wondering why I have no more accompanying screenshots for this installation, it's because I recently deleted all my downloads files in order to save some space on my computer, particularly the C-drive. And that included my Celestia Origin Version 11 file

So, I'm sorry if there are no more screenshots for you to refer to

Return to “Celestia Users”