For Celestia: Sun becoming red giant anyone?

General discussion about Celestia that doesn't fit into other forums.
Topic author
Cham M
With us: 20 years 3 months

Post #1by Cham » 10.05.2019, 13:06

Drop the unzipped folder into your addons directory, and use the included script (put it inside your scripts directory). Visit the "Suffering Earth", "Suffering Mars" and "Suffering Jupiter" ("Terre Souffrante", "Mars Souffrante" and "Jupiter Souffrante", in French).

It's in French, but you should be able to translate everything to your language very easily. Don't forget to open and save the files under the UTF8 format.

I'm not responsible for the troubles you may get with this old addon. I will not work on it for you.

Enjoy.

Mort_du_soleil.zip
(11.02 MiB) Downloaded 335 times
"Well! I've often seen a cat without a grin", thought Alice; "but a grin without a cat! It's the most curious thing I ever saw in all my life!"

Art Blos M
With us: 6 years 8 months

Post #2by Art Blos » 10.05.2019, 17:29

As part of "Celestia Origin" has long been such an addon, which uses more accurate theoretical calculations (orbits, object sizes, and so on).
Founder and head of the project "Celestia Origin"

fsgregs
With us: 21 years 7 months

There is just such an addon on Motherlode

Post #3by fsgregs » 12.05.2019, 19:47

For years, a big Red Giant addon has been available on the Motherlode, but it has been included as one of several addons in one of the Celestia Educational Activities . As a F/u to this post, I have now just uploaded it to the Motherlode as its own separate addon, called "Red-Giant'Earth.zip". Look for it in a few days. It is a quite spectacular view of the dramatic scenes one will find near Earth, Mars and Jupiter when our sun becomes a Red Supergiant sun in 5 billion years.

Included in the addon is a read-me file which contains cel:url "click here" links that will take you to some great viewpoints near the Red Giant sun. Here is one screenshot.

educational_Activity_6___the_Life_1__Frank_Gregorio.jpg

To use, simply unzip the addon into the extras folder, launch Celestia, open the read-me file and click the first "click here" link.

Enjoy

Adirondack M
With us: 20 years 2 months

Post #4by Adirondack » 25.07.2019, 11:05

We all live under the same sky, but we do not have the same horizon. (K. Adenauer)
The horizon of some people is a circle with the radius zero - and they call it their point of view. (A. Einstein)

TheLostProbe
With us: 4 years

Post #5by TheLostProbe » 16.05.2020, 23:04

This is so freaking awesome!!! :clap: :clap: :eek:

Gurren Lagann
With us: 6 years 3 months

Post #6by Gurren Lagann » 16.05.2020, 23:56

Yeah, but you just necromanced (revived) an old thread, which might not be a good thing...
"The tomorrow we're trying to reach is not a tomorrow you had decided on!"
- Simon the Digger
"Nothing is impossible for me, as long I'm determinated to keep moving forward!"
"If other people aren't going to do it, I'm going to do it myself!"
- Me (Gurren)

Current major projects:
- Aur Cir
- Cel+
- Project Sisyphus
- Populating the Local Group
- An galaxy generator

TheLostProbe

Post #7by TheLostProbe » 18.05.2020, 02:07

oh no.
halp, someone
um
AAAAAAAA

Added after 1 minute 48 seconds:
The last three bits were probs not necessary
"Carbon stars with ancient satellites colonized by sentient fungi. Gas giants inhabited by vast meteorological intelligences. Worlds stretched thin across the membranes where the dimensions intersect... impossible to describe with our limited vocabulary."
- Dr. Wallace Breen

The Minmus Derp
With us: 3 years 11 months

Post #8by The Minmus Derp » 05.09.2020, 01:23

I'm presently making an update to this addon that is making it more realistic. I have added the moon and Io, and changed the color of the red giant sun to be more realistic so far and am working on the Jovian moons. I will post the update here when I release it.

TheLostProbe

Post #9by TheLostProbe » 08.09.2020, 22:22

yoy
yey
yay
"Carbon stars with ancient satellites colonized by sentient fungi. Gas giants inhabited by vast meteorological intelligences. Worlds stretched thin across the membranes where the dimensions intersect... impossible to describe with our limited vocabulary."
- Dr. Wallace Breen

Return to “Celestia Users”