Linux interfaces other than KDE3 ?

General discussion about Celestia that doesn't fit into other forums.
Topic author
steffens

Linux interfaces other than KDE3 ?

Post #1by steffens » 03.03.2003, 10:40

Is there a chance that some of the newer interface-features in the linux version will be ported to the gtk-Interface? I'm really missing features like loading scripts from the menu and saving rendering options. I do understand that you can do a lot with cel:// urls, but the kde-interface is only written for kde3, which is a bit too heavy for my machine.
Adding some menu entries to the old menus should not be that difficult since the functionality is there already. So _please_ could someone consider having a look at it?

steffens

Christophe
Developer
With us: 22 years 2 months

Post #2by Christophe » 03.03.2003, 19:27

Of course you don't have to run kde to use the kde version, you just need to have the kdelib and kdebase packages installed.

The main problem with running celestia-kde outside of kde is that it will take longer to load due to the fact that some services need to be started first and that you probably won't have the qt and kde libs loaded.

Other than that, once celestia is started you shouldn't notice any performance difference between the gtk and the kde version, but if you're a bit short on RAM having to load additional libs may be a problem.

I'm sorry I've converted Fridger over to the dark side of KDE, gtk/gnome is now in dire need of a maintainer...

--
Christophe

Thilo
With us: 22 years 3 months

Post #3by Thilo » 04.03.2003, 00:01

*lol*

Thanks anyhow for converting him ... glut, glui and glgtk was a pain to get running

chris
Site Admin
With us: 22 years 8 months

Post #4by chris » 04.03.2003, 00:36

I did the initial Gtk work, but I haven't been too motivated to work on it lately . . . The platform independent parts of Celestia together with the Windows specific stuff take up most of my programming time. Plus, it would take me quite a while to bring the Gtk UI up to the level of Christophe's KDE interface (if I could manage to do it at all . . .) Further development of the Gtk front end for Celestia will require a volunteer to adopt it.

--Chris

Topic author
steffens

Post #5by steffens » 04.03.2003, 13:54

Christophe wrote:Of course you don't have to run kde to use the kde version, you just need to have the kdelib and kdebase packages installed.

That' rigth, but I have KDE2 on my sytem and I don't like the thought of downloading (56k modem...) and installing some parts of KDE3 next to it (multiple versions? "never touch a running system" - call me faintheart ...). If I want to compile Celestia myself, I would have to install even more. It would turn out to be a pretty complete KDE/QT install then. And I like compiling Celestia myself from CVS (cvs update is so much preferable to downloading a full binary package)

But I know that maintaining many different versions of the same thing, especially for old systems, is not so much fun. After all, Celestia is still great and very usable for me, so I'll be thankful for what I have.

Thanks for your good work!

steffens

Return to “Celestia Users”