Hayabusa

General discussion about Celestia that doesn't fit into other forums.
Topic author
celestrom hayabusa
With us: 7 years 6 months

Hayabusa

Post #1by celestrom hayabusa » 25.11.2016, 22:41

Hello, I would like to know where I can get the hayabusa probe for celestia?, The truth is that I do not have the slightest idea how to create a model, an ssc file and the data folder, which are the necessary files to create an addon, is What I need most, someone to help me? I hope your answer, thank you very much. :smile:

FarGetaNik M
With us: 11 years 11 months

Post #2by FarGetaNik » 29.11.2016, 11:25

If you want to do this yourself, that's quite a challenge if you don't have any idea about addon developement. To get started, you might want to look at the Celestia Wikibooks. Also download some addons and try to modify the ssc code yourself to get an idea about what it does. But backup your Celestia installation before you change anything in your data files!

To get Hayabusa into Celestia you would need:
  • a ssc file defining the spacecraft (basic data like object type, size, timeframe)
  • trajectory data, Celestia uses xyz (xyzt coordinates), or xyzv (same plus velocity), or an orbit defined by keplerian elements, but for a spacecraft on a non-constant orbit, this doesn't make much sense.
  • a 3D model (3DS or CMOD)

Doing an ssc file is not much trouble, but it can complicated if you need to change something about it's orbit at some point, you will need a Timeline (Hayabusa in orbit around sun, Hayabusa lying on the surface of Itokawa). The problem is the trajectory: I aquire my trajectory data from NASA's Horizons System and it even features Hayabusa, but only during a short timeframe in 2009 I think. I started to make an addon from it, but this doesn't serve any purpose because the spacecraft just approaches Earth and never comes close to Itokawa. And for the model, there is none avaliable online (I get my spacecraft models from here ) so you'd need to create one by yourself. This will be a lot of work and I don't have the skills to do this.

Topic author
celestrom hayabusa
With us: 7 years 6 months

Post #3by celestrom hayabusa » 29.11.2016, 15:27

Ok, thank you very much for your answer, I will try to edit some addon to try, thanks. :smile: :wink:

Bouly
With us: 7 years 4 months

Post #4by Bouly » 05.01.2017, 00:05

If you are familiar with SPICE, you can generate the trajectory and orientation of the spacecraft during Itokawa approach and rendez vous :
https://darts.isas.jaxa.jp/pub/spice/HAYABUSA/kernels/

Return to “Celestia Users”