Discussion about the new picture rules

General discussion about Celestia that doesn't fit into other forums.
Topic author
t00fri
Developer
With us: 22 years 1 month

Discussion about the new picture rules

Post #1by t00fri » 27.10.2012, 09:51

PlutonianEmpire wrote:Pffft. :roll: In that case, I might as well just stop posting screenshots here. :?

*Bye everyone, nice knowing ya.

In my view, the above modified forum rules posted by Guckytos need indeed some considerable "polishing"/improvement. They should certainly not be such as to kick active long time users like PlutonianEmpire implicitly out of the forum.

Some points I find certainly very important, like giving credit in a concise manner or alternatively, stating that a picture was created by the user. Forbidding sockpuppets is obviously needed but in my view hard to control in practice. Notably, if banned users are employing public proxies to sneak back in with different IP numbers.

Due to the relatively small number of default stars in Celestia, the background sky is usually void of stars as soon as far-away objects (galaxies, exoplanets, ficticous (Sci-Fi) planets,...) are displayed in a zoomed perspective. This is not the users' fault ;-)

Guckytos wrote:2. Only posting of pictures allowed in the Subforum "Celestia Users" that meet the following criteria:

* high polygon count and details of the model

There exist obviously many great screenshots with ZERO polygon count ;-) . While everyone knows what is meant here, the formulation involving the polygen count could be improved. Since in case of model displays the required polygon count remained quantitatively unspecified, one might contemplate whether there is not a better replacement criterion altogether.

Since the modifications of the rules only address the "Celestia Users" subforum, it should be required that all shown pictures involve Celestia in some way. Otherwise such pictures might possibly belong into the Physics & Astronomy subforum. The rest should rather go to the "Petit Bistro Entropy".

Fridger

Guckytos
With us: 19 years 11 months

Re: Custom Science-Fiction Pictures from Celestia

Post #2by Guckytos » 28.10.2012, 07:42

t00fri wrote:
PlutonianEmpire wrote:Pffft. :roll: In that case, I might as well just stop posting screenshots here. :?

*Bye everyone, nice knowing ya.

In my view, the above modified forum rules posted by Guckytos need indeed some considerable "polishing"/improvement. They should certainly not be such as to kick active long time users like PlutonianEmpire implicitly out of the forum.

Some points I find certainly very important, like giving credit in a concise manner or alternatively, stating that a picture was created by the user. Forbidding sockpuppets is obviously needed but in my view hard to control in practice. Notably, if banned users are employing public proxies to sneak back in with different IP numbers.

Due to the relatively small number of default stars in Celestia, the background sky is usually void of stars as soon as far-away objects (galaxies, exoplanets, ficticous (Sci-Fi) planets,...) are displayed in a zoomed perspective. This is not the users' fault ;-)

Guckytos wrote:2. Only posting of pictures allowed in the Subforum "Celestia Users" that meet the following criteria:

There exist obviously many great screenshots with ZERO polygon count ;-) . While everyone knows what is meant here, the formulation involving the polygen count could be improved. Since in case of model displays the required polygon count remained quantitatively unspecified, one might contemplate whether there is not a better replacement criterion altogether.

Since the modifications of the rules only address the "Celestia Users" subforum, it should be required that all shown pictures involve Celestia in some way. Otherwise such pictures might possibly belong into the Physics & Astronomy subforum. The rest should rather go to the "Petit Bistro Entropy".

Fridger
As I wrote in the rules I (and with that I mean all the moderators) am open to any suggestions on improvements. The rules were written quite fast and I myself feel also that they may not be as clear to everybody as I thought they should be.

So, if you have suggestions on improvement, I opened up a new topic to discuss it there.

Best regards,

Guckytos

John Van Vliet
With us: 21 years 8 months

Re: Discussion about the new picture rules

Post #3by John Van Vliet » 28.10.2012, 09:04

--- edit ---
Last edited by John Van Vliet on 19.10.2013, 04:10, edited 1 time in total.

Guckytos
With us: 19 years 11 months

Post #4by Guckytos » 28.10.2012, 19:38

Just to be sure that everyone knows what we want to discuss here.
Here are the new rules as they are at the moment.

2. Only posting of pictures allowed in the Subforum "Celestia Users" that meet the following criteria:

* pictures shall show more than a black background with the model
* if they are low polygon models, they must be original models created by yourself and NOT be from any SciFi series
* If a model or surface texture that you show is based on someone else's work, remember that they own the copyright to it, you do not. You must provide full attribution: who created the original design, picture or model, where you obtained the design, picture or model (the complete URL or other details), and that you have the creator's permission to use the design, picture or model and to display images of it.
* If you created the model or surface texture, you must so state.

Forbidden pictures are:

* pictures with low polygon models of any kind of SciFi series
* a model before a black background only
* models or surface textures without full attribution

john Van Vliet wrote:images are always a bit subjective

i do think it was the crops to ONLY a low poly count mesh COMBINED with the lack of credit to the ST/SW/BSG websites and original creator
add to that the MASSIVE amount of that

taken altogether , that was an issue
I think that sums it up quite nicely what was the original trigger for writing the rules as they are now.

Perhaps I should make it more clear in the rules that I think they should only be applied to spacecraft models. By that I mean anything flying in space or on a planetary surface that is not a star, planet, moon, nebulae, etc. - so in short something made by intelligent beings (or ones that think they are intelligent :lol: still has to be proven that intelligent life exists on THIS planet :wink: )

And while hoping to prevent the spamming to happen again I still wanted for people to be able to share either their own spacecraft models or a reworked spacecraft model from someone else. Therefore the different list points.

john Van Vliet wrote:so maybe for a starting point something like this
I just found a nifty new ( well this one is old) and ported a mesh for celestia
--- see above images ( the First one please)
" h??p://celestiasws.free.fr/pages_en/2001%20a%20space%20odyssey_en.html "
what do you think

Well, yes if people would put references like that I would be perfectly happy. I think the references part is the most critical one in the rules or am I wrong here? Perhaps that's what PlutonianEmpire was referring to when he said he wouldn't post any more pictures?

The part about the copyright was changed by selden a bit from what I had originally put in. I think it may be a bit too much for just sharing a picture here. (But I agree with it if comes to someone creating an addon.) If there are some arguments or opinions let's discuss them.

Guckytos

Reiko
With us: 17 years 7 months

Post #5by Reiko » 05.11.2012, 08:32

These are reasonable rules but sometimes I forget where I get a mesh from. What do I do in that case?

Return to “Celestia Users”