Do you really want that??

General discussion about Celestia that doesn't fit into other forums.
Topic author
t00fri
Developer
With us: 22 years 2 months

Do you really want that??

Post #1by t00fri » 24.10.2012, 19:06

Just so you know, I did some counting of recently uploaded (Trek?) spaceship models and calculated a daily rate from the results.

The top uploaders as to absolute numbers were certainly the "Twins" bdfd + J.T.K.:

During the period before bdfd's banning (Sep 29), we have (amazingly)

bdfd + J.T.K...........128 + 25 ships..... <-152 days->.....1.0 ships per day

Soon after bdfd's banning, the successor "triplet": wieczor + mousse + nemetonia started uploading Trek ships into the 2-3 newly created threads :mrgreen: :

wieczor + mousse + nemetonia.......... 16 + 13 + 3.....<-15 days->..... 2.1 ships per day

Note the daily rates! Note also that these daily uploads of ships by three cooperating users form a substantial fraction of the total daily number of shatters.net posts! These massive uploads of ships from Trek + TV series have really affected negatively the appearance of shatters.net activities to the "outside world".

Being ashamed of being possibly located in such a low-level environment by scientist colleagues or other serious people knowing me, I am now going into lurk mode.

I am sorry that no other sensible solution seems possible. My various protests to the administrators remained essentially without effect and so was the mail directed by Guckytos to our three uploaders a few days ago.

Meanwhile, let me ask you all:

Do you really want all these ship uploads?? Is that all that is left of the once creative shatters.net forum??

++++++++++++++++
All users preferring interesting and exacting conversations about Celestia(.Sci), space, graphics, astrophysics, cosmology, art , music ...are cordially invited to meet me over at CelestialMatters
++++++++++++++++

Bye Fridger
Last edited by t00fri on 24.10.2012, 19:27, edited 1 time in total.

Hungry4info
With us: 18 years 9 months

Re: Do you really want that??

Post #2by Hungry4info » 24.10.2012, 19:24

Yeah... it may be time to consider the possibility that our Celestia community is moribund and the recent infection is a symptom of rigor mortis.
Current Setup:
Windows 7 64 bit. Celestia 1.6.0.
AMD Athlon Processor, 1.6 Ghz, 3 Gb RAM
ATI Radeon HD 3200 Graphics

Cham M
With us: 20 years 5 months

Post #3by Cham » 24.10.2012, 19:53

I also consider this fact to be a shame on this forum. I call for a ban again. NOMORE Star Trek crap, please ! This is an astronomy board !
"Well! I've often seen a cat without a grin", thought Alice; "but a grin without a cat! It's the most curious thing I ever saw in all my life!"

fungun
With us: 16 years 10 months

Post #4by fungun » 24.10.2012, 20:29

I really hate to admit this, but you are all right.
It is just toooooooooo much of one thing.
Of course it wouldn't be "quite" so bad if they "looked good" or were put into an interesting setting. :roll:

Tim

John Van Vliet
With us: 21 years 9 months

Post #5by John Van Vliet » 24.10.2012, 21:14

it is looking like consensus is being formed

and apologies for the post in a different thread that seldon edited

it is not Getting to be too much
but HAS been TOO much of a few things

Shatters is starting looking like
https://pay.reddit.com/r/StarWars
https://pay.reddit.com/r/startrek

and on reddit or facebook that is fine

chris is out of the country so that leaves things to the forum mods

Andy74 M
With us: 19 years 11 months

Post #6by Andy74 » 24.10.2012, 21:58

Well, as I see it, the creation of add-ons has made Celestia more rich and captivating and thus there was much activity in that section over the past years.
It seems natural that add-on creators like to present pictures of their especially attractive or special add-ons.
Also I think it was a good idea to have a topic in the forum where members can share their most spectacular and most beautiful snapshots from within Celestia.
As it always depends on personal taste whether a particular picture is considered as spectacular or beautiful, it is also natural that sometimes the uploaded pictures may not be liked by the majority of the forum members.

HOWEVER:
Things really have changed recently. The flood of mediocre snapshots of mediocre looking ships is not what I personally need or like to see here.
I'd much rather see more posts of developers, scientists and dedicated add-on creators.
In fact I would very much regret the retreat of merited forum members for an increasing overproduction of bad or mediocre pictures of spaceships.
What I already regret now is that there doesn't seem to be a solution for the problem, because as long as no forum rules are violated it is hard to take influence on this trend.
It makes me particularly sad when I think of the many posters who made this forum one of the best I know in the web. Without these members there would be no Celestia community at all (at least not one that deserves the name):

-- Dedicated developers who created and further developed Celestia with all its great functionality and graphical rendering capabilities.
-- Dedicated scientists who put all efforts in the software to achieve an amazing level of scientific accuracy and who are ready to explain scientific matters to interested members in the respective sub-forum.
-- Dedicated teachers and other members who provided loads of educational add-ons that allow you to learn about the universe and explore it in a most stunning and captivating way.
-- Dedicated texture creators who let us come closer and closer to a realisic view of planets in our solar system and visualize the latest discoveries.
-- Dedicated data collectors and programmers who provided the latest data for stars, clusters, galaxies, moons, comets, asteroids, exoplanets etc. and their paths/orbits.
-- Dedicated modellers who provided a realistic view on asteroids, spacecraft and satellites.
-- Dedicated artists and storytellers who created fictional add-ons of great demand and stunning beauty.
-- Most helpful and patient forum members with large knowledge and experience who were always ready to assist and instruct novices, write manuals and tutorials or even provide ready solutions for problems posted by others.

All these have made this community so special. This is what I like and what I'm always ready to acknowledge and to appreciate.
And this is what I really want!

Thanks

Andy

abramson
With us: 20 years 11 months

Post #7by abramson » 24.10.2012, 23:06

A trekkie of old times myself, my answer is "no, this is not what I want".

Fenerit M
With us: 17 years 3 months

Post #8by Fenerit » 25.10.2012, 00:58

Mmmm... The Celestia's space has been invaded by the force of Federation. Declaring war against so huge starfleet is matter for Borg. Who is the good and the bad now? There is a big difference between Star Trek and Star Wars; in the first the enemy is always external, in the second is always internal to such "Star".
Never at rest.
Massimo

wieczor
Banned
With us: 11 years 8 months

Post #9by wieczor » 25.10.2012, 07:54

:lol: :lol: :lol: ...
shh...
All is in my signature...
Last edited by wieczor on 25.10.2012, 08:02, edited 1 time in total.
My Grandfather used to say: "we respond to idiots by silence..."

John Van Vliet
With us: 21 years 9 months

Post #10by John Van Vliet » 25.10.2012, 07:58

ban the user

wieczor
Banned

Post #11by wieczor » 25.10.2012, 08:01

Why ?
To defend myself ???

Tegmine
With us: 13 years 3 months

Post #12by Tegmine » 25.10.2012, 11:40

When I first joined, it was primarily to get some feedback on work I was doing. I have since come to appreciate your input and the insights many of you have shared...plus, your individual personalities shine through in each post.

The triumvirate of mousse, wieczor, and niem-whatever seem to be the work of one individual. The tone, the egregious disregard for others' viewpoints, the wanton spewing of repetitous pictures,(admit it, you three. It all looks the same after a bit,) and the snide arrogance displayed when criticised are the same.

It appears that the forum has become an absolute morass due to these disruptive individuals. Ignoring them will only embolden them; banning them will only cause them to return, and in greater numbers.

I like Star Trek, and had even considered making a Star Trek-themed add-on. Obviously, this cannot happen now because it's reputation has been sullied here.

More than anything else, I am bothered by the attitude of these three. Despite polite requests from NUMEROUS members, they continue flooding the forum and demanding their work be accepted and fawned over. I'm sure a solution can be found, one that will bring the forum back to the levels of what I came here for originally.

-M-

wieczor
Banned

Post #13by wieczor » 25.10.2012, 12:45

fungun wrote:I really hate to admit this, but you are all right.
It is just toooooooooo much of one thing.
Of course it wouldn't be "quite" so bad if they "looked good" or were put into an interesting setting. :roll:
Tim
comment.jpg

Sorry but strange...

Hungry4info
With us: 18 years 9 months

Post #14by Hungry4info » 25.10.2012, 18:14

Sure, every once in a great while one of the hundreds of images you post looks nice, but the overwhelming majority are very lacking in originality and creativity. The signal to noise is obscenely low, that's the complaint (not to mention the behaviour issues).
Current Setup:
Windows 7 64 bit. Celestia 1.6.0.
AMD Athlon Processor, 1.6 Ghz, 3 Gb RAM
ATI Radeon HD 3200 Graphics

Guckytos
With us: 20 years

Post #15by Guckytos » 25.10.2012, 19:35

This thread is now locked as the three users have been banned from the forum.

Return to “Celestia Users”