Celestia 1.6.0 released

General discussion about Celestia that doesn't fit into other forums.
cartrite
With us: 18 years 7 months
Location: Pocono Mountains, Pennsylvania, USA Greate Grandfother from Irshava, Zakarpattia Oblast Ukraine

Re: Celestia 1.6.0 released

Post #21by cartrite » 17.07.2009, 13:25

Linux QT4 compiled fine. Linux GTK compiled fine. But here is what I get when trying to compile Linux KDE.

Code: Select all

celestialbrowser.cpp: In member function ‘virtual void CelestialBrowser::slotRefresh()’:
celestialbrowser.cpp:127: error: conversion from ‘Eigen::Vector3f’ to non-scalar type ‘Point3f’ requested
celestialbrowser.cpp: In member function ‘void CelestialBrowser::addPlanetarySystem(CelListViewItem*, const PlanetarySystem*, const Point3d*)’:
celestialbrowser.cpp:156: error: conversion from ‘Eigen::Vector3d’ to non-scalar type ‘Point3d’ requested
make[5]: *** [celestialbrowser.o] Error 1
Rev 4780
cartrite
VivoBook_ASUSLaptop X712JA_S712JA Intel(R) UHD Graphics 8gb ram. Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-1035G1 CPU @ 1.00GHz, 1190 Mhz, 4 Core(s), 8 Logical Processor(s) 8 GB ram. Running on Windows 11 and OpenSuse 15.4

t00fri
Developer
With us: 22 years 1 month

Post #22by t00fri » 17.07.2009, 14:02

cartrite wrote:Linux QT4 compiled fine. Linux GTK compiled fine. But here is what I get when trying to compile Linux KDE.

celestialbrowser.cpp: In member function ‘virtual void CelestialBrowser::slotRefresh()’:
celestialbrowser.cpp:127: error: conversion from ‘Eigen::Vector3f’ to non-scalar type ‘Point3f’ requested
celestialbrowser.cpp: In member function ‘void CelestialBrowser::addPlanetarySystem(CelListViewItem*, const PlanetarySystem*, const Point3d*)’:
celestialbrowser.cpp:156: error: conversion from ‘Eigen::Vector3d’ to non-scalar type ‘Point3d’ requested
Rev 4780
cartrite

In my case it was crucial for avoiding errors that I did a make clean before compiling the Eigenized stuff. Apart from that I have no idea what happens. You probably use a later version of gcc which often is more strict than predecessors...

Fridger

cartrite
Location: Pocono Mountains, Pennsylvania, USA Greate Grandfother from Irshava, Zakarpattia Oblast Ukraine

Post #23by cartrite » 17.07.2009, 14:13

I always build a fresh svn copy so I don't think that's the problem. I'm thinking that this may be a gcc issue but I'm not sure what it could be.
I'm going to try a build on Suse 10.2. That uses an older gcc version.
cartrite
VivoBook_ASUSLaptop X712JA_S712JA Intel(R) UHD Graphics 8gb ram. Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-1035G1 CPU @ 1.00GHz, 1190 Mhz, 4 Core(s), 8 Logical Processor(s) 8 GB ram. Running on Windows 11 and OpenSuse 15.4

asteroid
With us: 15 years 5 months

Post #24by asteroid » 17.07.2009, 17:16

t00fri wrote:cartrite has Suse 10.2 installed and compiles the Celestia regularly. But there are no official RPMs for this old SUSE version. Due to the MANY different Linux distributions in existence, we have given up producing binary distributions for Linux.

It's quite easy to compile the code, once you made sure that you have installed ALL *-develop rpm packages belonging to the required runtime libraries.

You did not give us much information yet: which sources have you used? Did you start from the official 1.6.0 source tarball from here:

http://prdownloads.sourceforge.net/cele ... z?download

And now what sort of error happens after you started ./configure??

Fridger

PS: As of today, the code for Linux from the SVN development archive is not broken anymore.

I had been using the source from http://www.celestiaproject.net/celestia/download.html
I just re-downloaded from the link you provided. I gzipped the file, moved to that directory and...

/celestia-1.6.0> ./configure --with-kde

The following is the end where it errored out...

checking how to run the C++ preprocessor... /lib/cpp
checking whether g++ supports -O0... no
checking whether g++ supports -Wl,--no-undefined... no
checking for X... no
checking for deflate in -lz... no
configure: error: zlib not found.

Goggling that error and "celestia" I found a link that stated that error means I need to install "zlib-devel". Well, I have installed that as that is the error I was getting with the original package.

Any/all help is appreciated. Thanks

p.s. same error occurs if I use the --with-gtk flag

cartrite

Post #25by cartrite » 17.07.2009, 17:27

This is the configue line I use. I think the CXXFLAGS part is only needed for Suse 11.1. I don't think I had that in the configure line in 10.2.

./configure CXXFLAGS="-I /opt/kde3/include" --with-kde --with-qt-dir=/usr/lib64/qt3 --with-qt-libraries=/usr/lib64/qt3/lib64 --enable-libsuffix=64 --with-lua --with-cspice-dir=/usr/local/share/cspice

If you don't have cspice installed, remove that part.
Try this line. It may be all you need. To use the above line, you'll need to install lua and cspice.

./configure --with-kde --with-qt-dir=/usr/lib64/qt3 --with-qt-libraries=/usr/lib64/qt3/lib64 --enable-libsuffix=64

cartrite

afxgroup
With us: 15 years 1 month

Post #26by afxgroup » 17.07.2009, 17:38

asteroid wrote:/celestia-1.6.0> ./configure --with-kde

The following is the end where it errored out...

checking how to run the C++ preprocessor... /lib/cpp
checking whether g++ supports -O0... no
checking whether g++ supports -Wl,--no-undefined... no
checking for X... no
checking for deflate in -lz... no
configure: error: zlib not found.

Goggling that error and "celestia" I found a link that stated that error means I need to install "zlib-devel". Well, I have installed that as that is the error I was getting with the original package.

Any/all help is appreciated. Thanks

p.s. same error occurs if I use the --with-gtk flag

This problem is caused from missing X11 libraries.. i don't know why -lz is linked against X11 libs..
I've patched the configure file to build celestia on OS4..

t00fri
Developer
With us: 22 years 1 month

Post #27by t00fri » 17.07.2009, 17:56

afxgroup wrote:This problem is caused from missing X11 libraries..

That is almost certainly not true. Anybody with some experience with configure knows that the yes/no answer is triggered by checks on the presence of the appropriate headers, NOT the libs themselves. The headers are, however, part of the *-devel packages!

Hence my interpretation is that he is missing the X11 devel packages, not the X11 libs. Also beginners typically push the button to get a derfault installation, which almost NEVER includes the files required for compiling...

i don't know why -lz is linked against X11 libs..

According to standard UNIX nomenclature -lz means that zlib is missing. Again, it's most probably the *-devel package NOT zlib itself.

As I pointed out initially, all he presumably has to do is to install the required *-devel packages from the SuSE 10.2 distribution. My guess is that most libs are already installed by default.

Fridger

asteroid
With us: 15 years 5 months

Post #28by asteroid » 17.07.2009, 19:23

t00fri wrote:According to standard UNIX nomenclature -lz means that zlib is missing. Again, it's most probably the *-devel package NOT zlib itself.

As I pointed out initially, all he presumably has to do is to install the required *-devel packages from the SuSE 10.2 distribution. My guess is that most libs are already installed by default.

Fridger
Both lines provided above didn't work for me :(

I went back into YAST (the install manager for Suse). I confirmed zlib-devel and zlib-devel-32bit are both showing they are installed.

When searching the YAST tool, I see literally dozens of other "-devel" packs listed as possible to install. Can you tell me which ones I need for this to work?

cartrite

Post #29by cartrite » 17.07.2009, 21:12

When you are in Yast, load Pattern into the filter. Then you will see things like Desktop Functions, Graphical Environment, etc. At the bottom will be Development. I have Gnome, KDE, Base, Linux Kernel, C/C++, QT4, RPM, etc. See image. This Suse11.1. 10.2 should look similar. I would think about upgrading to Suse 11.1. 10.2 is no longer supported.

snapshot2.jpg

cartrite

cartrite

Post #30by cartrite » 17.07.2009, 21:19

1 file that may get left out of the general patterns filter is gtkglext-devel. You should check to see if that is checked. Any dependencies should also be chosen automatically. Be sure to add them in.

Another reason configure may not find zlib is the version you have may be too old. You did run the updates, right? There are no more new updates but I think it may be possible to get the updates that were already released. Celestia should build on a fully updated 10.2. I just built a svn copy about a few weeks ago.

They stopped updating the 10.2 system last year sometime. If they are no longer available, then you can always upgrade to 10.3, 11.0 or 11.1.
cartrite

afxgroup
With us: 15 years 1 month

Post #31by afxgroup » 17.07.2009, 22:03

t00fri wrote:
afxgroup wrote:This problem is caused from missing X11 libraries..

That is almost certainly not true. Anybody with some experience with configure knows that the yes/no answer is triggered by checks on the presence of the appropriate headers, NOT the libs themselves. The headers are, however, part of the *-devel packages!
[quote]
Yes, i mean X11 devel packages.. :-)
But i don't know why libz must be tested linked with x11 libraries

NIGHTCAST2000
With us: 17 years 7 months

Post #32by NIGHTCAST2000 » 19.07.2009, 10:04

Hi all,
I've just updated my SVN version of Celestia today.After I ran autoreconf -iv,I use these ./configure options to build celestia:

./configure --prefix=/usr --exec-prefix=/usr --bindir=/usr/bin --sbindir=/usr/sbin --datadir=/usr/share --sysconfdir=/etc --includedir=/usr/include --libdir=/usr/lib --libexecdir=/usr/libexec --localstatedir=/var --infodir=/usr/share/info --mandir=/usr/share/man --docdir=/usr/share/doc --x-libraries=/usr/lib --x-includes=/usr/include --enable-theora --enable-dependency-tracking --with-kde --with-gl-libs=/usr/lib --with-gl-inc=/usr/include --with-glut-libs=/usr/lib --with-glut-inc=/usr/include --with-gnu-ld --with-x --with-lua

I then ran make,but I've come up with this error(seems the same as in an earlier post in this thread):

ocapturedlgbase.uic.moc.cpp
mv -f .deps/videocapturedlgbase.uic.moc.Tpo .deps/videocapturedlgbase.uic.moc.Po
g++ -DCONFIG_DATA_DIR='"/usr/share/celestia"' -DLOCALEDIR='"/usr/share/locale"' -DHAVE_CONFIG_H -I. -I../../.. -I../.. -I.. -I../../../thirdparty/Eigen -I/usr/lib/qt-3.3/include -I/usr/include/kde  -DQT_THREAD_SUPPORT  -D_REENTRANT  -Wno-long-long -Wundef -ansi -D_XOPEN_SOURCE=500 -D_BSD_SOURCE -Wcast-align -Wchar-subscripts -Wall -W -Wpointer-arith -DNDEBUG -DNO_DEBUG -O2 -Wformat-security -Wmissing-format-attribute -Wno-non-virtual-dtor -fno-exceptions -fno-check-new -fno-common  -I/usr/include -I/usr/include -O2 -Wall -ffast-math -fexpensive-optimizations -fomit-frame-pointer      -DLUA_VER=0x050100 -DCELX -MT videocapturedlg.moc.o -MD -MP -MF .deps/videocapturedlg.moc.Tpo -c -o videocapturedlg.moc.o videocapturedlg.moc.cpp
mv -f .deps/videocapturedlg.moc.Tpo .deps/videocapturedlg.moc.Po
g++ -DCONFIG_DATA_DIR='"/usr/share/celestia"' -DLOCALEDIR='"/usr/share/locale"' -DHAVE_CONFIG_H -I. -I../../.. -I../.. -I.. -I../../../thirdparty/Eigen -I/usr/lib/qt-3.3/include -I/usr/include/kde  -DQT_THREAD_SUPPORT  -D_REENTRANT  -Wno-long-long -Wundef -ansi -D_XOPEN_SOURCE=500 -D_BSD_SOURCE -Wcast-align -Wchar-subscripts -Wall -W -Wpointer-arith -DNDEBUG -DNO_DEBUG -O2 -Wformat-security -Wmissing-format-attribute -Wno-non-virtual-dtor -fno-exceptions -fno-check-new -fno-common  -I/usr/include -I/usr/include -O2 -Wall -ffast-math -fexpensive-optimizations -fomit-frame-pointer      -DLUA_VER=0x050100 -DCELX -MT celsplashscreen.o -MD -MP -MF .deps/celsplashscreen.Tpo -c -o celsplashscreen.o celsplashscreen.cpp
In file included from ./celsplashscreen.h:27,
                 from celsplashscreen.cpp:24:
/usr/include/kde/kfilemetainfo.h:1237: warning: type qualifiers ignored on function return type
mv -f .deps/celsplashscreen.Tpo .deps/celsplashscreen.Po
g++ -DCONFIG_DATA_DIR='"/usr/share/celestia"' -DLOCALEDIR='"/usr/share/locale"' -DHAVE_CONFIG_H -I. -I../../.. -I../.. -I.. -I../../../thirdparty/Eigen -I/usr/lib/qt-3.3/include -I/usr/include/kde  -DQT_THREAD_SUPPORT  -D_REENTRANT  -Wno-long-long -Wundef -ansi -D_XOPEN_SOURCE=500 -D_BSD_SOURCE -Wcast-align -Wchar-subscripts -Wall -W -Wpointer-arith -DNDEBUG -DNO_DEBUG -O2 -Wformat-security -Wmissing-format-attribute -Wno-non-virtual-dtor -fno-exceptions -fno-check-new -fno-common  -I/usr/include -I/usr/include -O2 -Wall -ffast-math -fexpensive-optimizations -fomit-frame-pointer      -DLUA_VER=0x050100 -DCELX -MT eclipsefinderdlg.o -MD -MP -MF .deps/eclipsefinderdlg.Tpo -c -o eclipsefinderdlg.o eclipsefinderdlg.cpp
mv -f .deps/eclipsefinderdlg.Tpo .deps/eclipsefinderdlg.Po
g++ -DCONFIG_DATA_DIR='"/usr/share/celestia"' -DLOCALEDIR='"/usr/share/locale"' -DHAVE_CONFIG_H -I. -I../../.. -I../.. -I.. -I../../../thirdparty/Eigen -I/usr/lib/qt-3.3/include -I/usr/include/kde  -DQT_THREAD_SUPPORT  -D_REENTRANT  -Wno-long-long -Wundef -ansi -D_XOPEN_SOURCE=500 -D_BSD_SOURCE -Wcast-align -Wchar-subscripts -Wall -W -Wpointer-arith -DNDEBUG -DNO_DEBUG -O2 -Wformat-security -Wmissing-format-attribute -Wno-non-virtual-dtor -fno-exceptions -fno-check-new -fno-common  -I/usr/include -I/usr/include -O2 -Wall -ffast-math -fexpensive-optimizations -fomit-frame-pointer      -DLUA_VER=0x050100 -DCELX -MT celestialbrowser.o -MD -MP -MF .deps/celestialbrowser.Tpo -c -o celestialbrowser.o celestialbrowser.cpp
make[5]: Leaving directory `/opt/trunk/celestia/src/celestia/kde'
make[4]: *** [all-recursive] Error 1
make[4]: Leaving directory `/opt/trunk/celestia/src/celestia/kde'
make[3]: *** [all-recursive] Error 1
make[3]: Leaving directory `/opt/trunk/celestia/src/celestia'
make[2]: *** [all-recursive] Error 1
make[2]: Leaving directory `/opt/trunk/celestia/src'
make[1]: *** [all-recursive] Error 1
make[1]: Leaving directory `/opt/trunk/celestia'
make: *** [all] Error 2

I also ran into this error during the build before it stopped:

mv -f .deps/samporient.Tpo .deps/samporient.Po                                                                                                                                                                                                         
g++ -DHAVE_CONFIG_H -I. -I../.. -I.. -I../../thirdparty/Eigen  -DQT_THREAD_SUPPORT  -D_REENTRANT  -Wno-long-long -Wundef -ansi -D_XOPEN_SOURCE=500 -D_BSD_SOURCE -Wcast-align -Wchar-subscripts -Wall -W -Wpointer-arith -DNDEBUG -DNO_DEBUG -O2 -Wformat-security -Wmissing-format-attribute -Wno-non-virtual-dtor -fno-exceptions -fno-check-new -fno-common  -I/usr/include -I/usr/include -O2 -Wall -ffast-math -fexpensive-optimizations -fomit-frame-pointer      -DLUA_VER=0x050100 -DCELX -MT selection.o -MD -MP -MF .deps/selection.Tpo -c -o selection.o selection.cpp                                                                                                                                                                                   
selection.cpp:61:5: warning: "CELVEC" is not defined                                                                                                                                                                                                   
selection.cpp:72:5: warning: "CELVEC" is not defined                                                                                                                                                                                                   
selection.cpp:109:5: warning: "CELVEC" is not defined                                                                                                                                                                                                 
mv -f .deps/selection.Tpo .deps/selection.Po                                                                                                                                                                                                           
g++ -DHAVE_CONFIG_H -I. -I../.. -I.. -I../../thirdparty/Eigen  -DQT_THREAD_SUPPORT  -D_REENTRANT  -Wno-long-long -Wundef -ansi -D_XOPEN_SOURCE=500 -D_BSD_SOURCE -Wcast-align -Wchar-subscripts -Wall -W -Wpointer-arith -DNDEBUG -DNO_DEBUG -O2 -Wformat-security -Wmissing-format-attribute -Wno-non-virtual-dtor -fno-exceptions -fno-check-new -fno-common  -I/usr/include -I/usr/include -O2 -Wall -ffast-math -fexpensive-optimizations -fomit-frame-pointer      -DLUA_VER=0x050100 -DCELX -MT shadermanager.o -MD -MP -MF .deps/shadermanager.Tpo -c -o shadermanager.o shadermanager.cpp                                                                                                                                                                   
shadermanager.cpp:2510:5: warning: "CELVEC" is not defined                                                                                                                                                                                             
shadermanager.cpp:2526:5: warning: "CELVEC" is not defined                                                                                                                                                                                             
shadermanager.cpp:2535:5: warning: "CELVEC" is not defined                                                                                                                                                                                             
shadermanager.cpp:2551:5: warning: "CELVEC" is not defined                                                                                                                                                                                             
shadermanager.cpp:2615:5: warning: "CELVEC" is not defined                                                                                                                                                                                             
mv -f .deps/shadermanager.Tpo .deps/shadermanager.Po

I'm currently using Fedora Rawhide(the Fc12 version),and I know I use and try to compile the latest Mesa D.R.M and Nouveau code from the git repositories.

Regards,
NIGHTCAST2000
Motherboard:Asus Sabretooth 990FX
Processor: AMD Athlon II X3 46
Memory: 4 Gb DDR3 SDRAM
Graphics Card: Nvidia 560 GTX 1Gb
SoundCard: Asus onboard
Hardrive:Seagate Barracuda 1TB GB 7200rpm SATA 23Mb Cache

cartrite

Post #33by cartrite » 19.07.2009, 11:47

Try this. It works for me. I also posted this in the developers forum. Gtk should work without a patch.
kde-patch.txt.zip

cartrite

NIGHTCAST2000

Post #34by NIGHTCAST2000 » 19.07.2009, 14:00

Hi Cartrite,
I downloaded the patch,extracted it,and then re-named it as kde-patch.diff.I then moved it into the Celestia folder and then fired up Kompare,and then I applied and saved the changes.
I did do a make distclean before I came back to this thread,to be ready to build again(autoreconf -iv,./configure,etc).

Unfortunately,I still got the same error :( ,but I'm sure it is to do with the Mesa code,(I did a compile of the code before I updated Celestia,and the xorg state-tracker is broken at the moment).
I've had a look at Nabble,there seem to be some patches to help with the problem.So I'll have to wait for a bit until they get committed to git master.I do hope it will be tonight(my time),or in the next 24hrs or so.

I would like to thank you very much for your help.

Regards,
NIGHTCAST2000

cartrite

Post #35by cartrite » 19.07.2009, 14:10

Try replacing celestialbrowser.cpp with this one.

celestialbrowser.cpp.zip

If this doesn't work, you can try the first patch I posted in the developers forum

viewtopic.php?p=116591#p116591

One of them should work. If not. It is good to know and you'll have to wait until someone else fixes it.

cartrite

NIGHTCAST2000

Post #36by NIGHTCAST2000 » 19.07.2009, 15:49

Hi Cartrite,
I downloaded bot files and just extracted the celestiabrowser.cpp,I then put it in /celestia/src/kde.That did the trick and celestia compiles :)
The only thing is when I did a make install,I got this error again,from a earlier post in celestia bugs:

make[2]: Entering directory `/opt/trunk/celestia/data'
make[3]: Entering directory `/opt/trunk/celestia/data'
make[3]: Nothing to be done for `install-exec-am'.
test -z "/usr/local/share/celestia/data" || /bin/mkdir -p "/usr/local/share/celestia/data"
 /usr/bin/install -c -p -m 644 asteroids.ssc comets.ssc earth_locs.ssc eros_locs.ssc extrasolar.ssc gaspra_locs.ssc ida_locs.ssc itokawa_locs.ssc jupitermoons_locs.ssc mars_locs.ssc marsmoons_locs.ssc merc_locs.ssc minormoons.ssc moon_locs.ssc neptunemoons_locs.ssc numberedmoons.ssc outersys.ssc ring_locs.ssc saturnmoons_locs.ssc solarsys.ssc uranusmoons_locs.ssc venus_locs.ssc world-capitals.ssc asterisms.dat boundaries.dat hdxindex.dat saoxindex.dat starnames.dat stars.dat galaxies.dsc globulars.dsc charm2.stc extrasolar.stc nearstars.stc revised.stc spectbins.stc visualbins.stc stars.dat '/usr/local/share/celestia/data'
/usr/bin/install: will not overwrite just-created `/usr/local/share/celestia/data/stars.dat' with `stars.dat'
make[3]: *** [install-pkgdataDATA] Error 1
make[3]: Leaving directory `/opt/trunk/celestia/data'
make[2]: *** [install-am] Error 2
make[2]: Leaving directory `/opt/trunk/celestia/data'
make[1]: *** [install] Error 2
make[1]: Leaving directory `/opt/trunk/celestia/data'
make: *** [install-recursive] Error 1

Does anybody have an idea what this problem is?

Regards,
NIGHTCAST2000

cartrite

Post #37by cartrite » 19.07.2009, 15:54

Check your permissions on the install folder or adjust the prefix to install to an empty folder were you have write permissions. You may have to run make install with the root account.
cartrite

NIGHTCAST2000

Post #38by NIGHTCAST2000 » 19.07.2009, 18:36

Hi Cartrite,
I could try a different folder,but I have my root account enabled,so when I log into it via kdm,I should have the right permissions I need to install?I'll see what happens.
Regards,
NIGHTCAST2000

John Van Vliet
With us: 21 years 8 months

Post #39by John Van Vliet » 21.07.2009, 02:43

--- edit ---
Last edited by John Van Vliet on 21.10.2013, 01:46, edited 1 time in total.

radtech
With us: 15 years 4 months

Post #40by radtech » 21.07.2009, 04:08

I've just installed 1.60 on my Windows laptop and it seems to be running fine. However, I have noticed a slight discrepancy in the distances between stars. For example, Simbad lists the distance from Earth to HIP 105075 as 0.49 mas (6563.3 LY); 1.60 shows the same distance as 1353.4 LY. I realize the new release uses CHARM2 data, but which is correct, Simbad or Celestia, in this particular instance? Is this a bug?

Radtech

Return to “Celestia Users”