Pluto orbit

General discussion about Celestia that doesn't fit into other forums.
Topic author
Auscreely

Pluto orbit

Post #1by Auscreely » 17.11.2002, 06:25

Plutos orbit dosent moov slowly moov away it just stays in the same spot!
This is rong as pluto will eventuly fly out of the soler system.

If anyone has a new pluto orbit pleas post it

P.S. This is a grate opertunity to have pluto crash into sompthing after it flys out, maby hitting an astoroid and shatering into peaces :wink:

Darkmiss
With us: 22 years 1 month

Post #2by Darkmiss » 17.11.2002, 16:06

I was told it has a elongated orbit, that causes it to freeze and thaw then heat up, and so on :?:
CPU- Intel Pentium Core 2 Quad ,2.40GHz
RAM- 2Gb 1066MHz DDR2
Motherboard- Gigabyte P35 DQ6
Video Card- Nvidia GeForce 8800 GTS + 640Mb
Hard Drives- 2 SATA Raptor 10000rpm 150GB
OS- Windows Vista Home Premium 32

Calculus
With us: 21 years 11 months

Post #3by Calculus » 17.11.2002, 16:38

True
---Paul
My Gallery of Celestial Phenomena:
http://www.celestiaproject.net/gallery/view_al ... e=Calculus

selden
Developer

Post #4by selden » 17.11.2002, 17:32

Aus' (or anyone else),

Can you provide a reference for the loss of Pluto?

The articles I've read say that its orbit is quite stable because it's in a 3:2 resonance with Neptune. As a result, they say, its orbit is just as stable (or unstable) as the rest of the solar system. The planetary orbits all change gradually, but can't be predicted past 100,000,000 years or so, mostly due to accumulated computational errors. See, for example, http://angels.sewanee.edu/Angels/D/doneveu0/html/doneveu0.html#anchor45776484

Other older articles I've read about Pluto's orbit seemed to assume that Pluto's situation is unique. In recent years more than a dozen other TNOs (sometimes called Plutinos) have been found in 3:2 resonance with Neptune.
Selden

Topic author
Auscreely

Fine

Post #5by Auscreely » 18.11.2002, 02:11

O.K. well then wat about our Moon we no fore shour that it will eventualy spin off into space. can anybody give me that orbit?

P.S. The earths axsis will haveto wobble 90 degrees after the moon flys off into space.

selden
Developer

Post #6by selden » 18.11.2002, 03:39

Hmm. Tip over?? My limited knowlege about conservation of angular momentum would suggest that such an event would be very unlikely. Not impossible, perhaps, depending on various chaotic effects like the Earth's inner core rotation. Again, can you supply a reference?

Certainly there is evidence for the magnetic poles flipping over, but that's quite a different matter, since it doesn't seem to involve the entire planet chaniging its physical orientation. Presumably once the moon is "gone" solar tdes might tend to pull the earth more toward a vertical orientation.

I trust you realize that any trajectory showing the moon leaving would be entirely hypothetical. My understanding is that the lunar distance will stablize several billion years from now when the lunar orbital period and the earth's rotaional period become the same, about 45-50 of our current days, or maybe 1200 hours. One discussion of some of the predictable and unpredictable variables affecting the dynamics can be found at http://www.cds.caltech.edu/conferences/1998/igpp/schedule/bills.html
Selden

Topic author
Auscreely

Discovory

Post #7by Auscreely » 19.11.2002, 00:03

Discovory Chanle is were I get most of my sorces.

Auscreely :D

selden
Developer

Post #8by selden » 19.11.2002, 02:05

Aus',

For some reason I've never heard of "Discovery Charlie'.

Obviously I'm missing something...
Selden

Ausceely

Discovory

Post #9by Ausceely » 21.11.2002, 22:35

Here is the link

http://www.discovery.com/www.mydcompop.html

This is the place i get the info :roll:

selden
Developer

Post #10by selden » 21.11.2002, 23:28

Aus',

Well, that link just takes me to a "slow connection" choice. I wandered around the site for a while, but I really couldn't find details about the solar system, just some general stuff. I guess their site designers just don't think the way I do :)

Can ypu provide a link that goes directly to one of the articles you read?

Often the link that's shown in the browser's "Address" field is just a pointer to the frame and not the address of the central part of the page that they're showing you.

When you put the cursor over one of the links, it should show the full Web address down in the bottom border of your browser. Unfortunately, you can't cut and past from there :( If you could write it down, though, and then type it into a posting here, that'd be a big help.

Thanks.
Selden

Return to “Celestia Users”