Feature request: Beginning and ending for locations

General discussion about Celestia that doesn't fit into other forums.
Topic author
SU(3)xSU(2)xU(1)
With us: 16 years 1 month

Feature request: Beginning and ending for locations

Post #1by SU(3)xSU(2)xU(1) » 05.05.2008, 22:35

Hi everyone.

I've recently thought, that some locations (like for example cities on Earth) shouldn't be visible at times, when they actually hadn't existed yet. That would require the option "Beginning" to be available for locations. Also "Ending " might be useful, if someone would like to display as locations some ancient cities that don't exist anymore.

Sorry for my not perfect English. I hope it's easy to understand, what I mean. :)
"Physicists know what's important, but they don't know what is true. Mathematicians know what's true, but they don't know what is important."

t00fri
Developer
With us: 22 years 3 months

Re: Feature request: Beginning and ending for locations

Post #2by t00fri » 05.05.2008, 22:44

SU(3)xSU(2)xU(1) wrote:Hi everyone.

I've recently thought, that some locations (like for example cities on Earth) shouldn't be visible at times, when they actually hadn't existed yet. That would require the option "Beginning" to be available for locations. Also "Ending " might be useful, if someone would like to display as locations some ancient cities that don't exist anymore.

Sorry for my not perfect English. I hope it's easy to understand, what I mean. :)

My locations file for Earth, for example has 40 000+ towns! How would you imagine to add your requested info (beginning & end of existence) for so many entries? Someone must have a lot of spare time if he/she wants to edit this by hand ;-) . Our locations files are usually read out entirely by computer (notably also in order to avoid typos).

Can we call you "Standard Model" or in short GSW instead of your user name ? ;-)

Fridger

Topic author
SU(3)xSU(2)xU(1)
With us: 16 years 1 month

Re: Feature request: Beginning and ending for locations

Post #3by SU(3)xSU(2)xU(1) » 05.05.2008, 23:30

t00fri wrote:
SU(3)xSU(2)xU(1) wrote:Hi everyone.

My locations file for Earth, for example has 40 000+ towns! How would you imagine to add your requested info (beginning & end of existence) for so many entries? Someone must have a lot of spare time if he/she wants to edit this by hand ;-) . Our locations files are usually read out entirely by computer (notably also in order to avoid typos).

Can we call you "Standard Model" or in short GSW instead of your user name ? ;-)

Fridger

That would be only a possibility ! There could be a default beginning for cities, like f. e. 2000 B.C. (even Rome and Athens are not so old). Moreover, there are only capital cities in Celestia without any addons, so adding beginnings at least for them wouldn't require such a big effort.
Of course, this is only my opinion and I won't insist on my request, if it faces some technical problems, that I'm not even aware of.

Paul
"Physicists know what's important, but they don't know what is true. Mathematicians know what's true, but they don't know what is important."

Return to “Celestia Users”