Opinions: dwarf planets and minor moons

General discussion about Celestia that doesn't fit into other forums.
Topic author
chris
Site Admin
With us: 22 years 8 months

Opinions: dwarf planets and minor moons

Post #1by chris » 14.04.2008, 21:18

I've added new object classes called minormoon and dwarf planet. Minor moon exists to reduce some of the orbit and label clutter from all the rocks orbiting the outer planets. If you set the class of a moon to minormoon, its orbit and label will not be shown unless you enable minor moon orbits and labels. The same behavior will apply for dwarf planets: their labels and orbits can be toggled independently of planets.

For label toggle keys, I think shift+m and shift+p make the most sense for minor moons and dwarf planets. Sensible?

Some other questions:

- Should the label/orbit colors be the same for moons as minor moons; my sense is that they should be the same colors.
- Same question for dwarf planets: identical label/orbit colors as for planets?
- I'm not that enthusiastic about actually changing the classes of Ceres, Pluto, and Eris to dwarf planet. It's not that I have strong opinions either way on the IAU decision; I just don't want to mess with the classes if the resolution of 2006 gets overturned in 2006. Does anyone actually care about this whole dwarf planet thing? (Careful: I'm asking about this in the context of Celestia, not trying to stir up the whole is-Pluto-a-planet debate. Impassioned statements about the planethood of any solar system body will be deleted from this thread.)

--Chris

selden
Developer
With us: 22 years

Re: Opinions: dwarf planets and minor moons

Post #2by selden » 14.04.2008, 21:25

The support described for minor moons and minor planets seems reasonable to me. Although there are few minor-planets now, the number could grow, and I think it'd be good to be able to distinguish them.
Selden

ElChristou
Developer
With us: 19 years 7 months

Post #3by ElChristou » 14.04.2008, 21:53

Concerning Ceres and co, it depends if it's too much work to do or not; if not IMHO I would say let's go because if I'm not wrong official publications have already change their entries. I say if it's not too much work because then reverting would be easy...

For minor moons versus moons colors, why a light declination of the moon color? just to mark the 2 groups? Don't need to be different, just a tone or two up or down... no?

For dwarf planets same thing, I would say same palette as planets, a tone or two up or down...

Adirondack M
With us: 20 years 6 months

Post #4by Adirondack » 14.04.2008, 22:12

I do agree with Selden and ElChristou (minor moons versus moons colors).

Adirondack
We all live under the same sky, but we do not have the same horizon. (K. Adenauer)
The horizon of some people is a circle with the radius zero - and they call it their point of view. (A. Einstein)

ElChristou
Developer

Post #5by ElChristou » 14.04.2008, 23:06

BTW, do the GUI need some new checkbox for those classes?

Topic author
chris
Site Admin

Post #6by chris » 14.04.2008, 23:07

ElChristou wrote:BTW, do the GUI need some new checkbox for those classes?

Yes, the GUI will need to be updated.

--Chris

ANDREA
With us: 22 years 3 months

Post #7by ANDREA » 14.04.2008, 23:53

chris wrote:I've added new object classes called minormoon and dwarf planet. ....Some other questions:...identical label/orbit colors as for planets?--Chris
Chris, actually in my "The new Solar System show" I'm compelled to define Pluto, Ceres and Eris Dwarf planets as spacecraft, so giving them a different label/orbit color. 8)
Burt this can be impossible in other situations.
So I would prefer, if this is not a big programming problem, to have dwarf planets as a different class with its own label/orbit color, possibly.
However it's not a must-be change, IMHO. :wink:
Bye

Andrea :D
"Something is always better than nothing!"
HP Omen 15-DC1040nl- Intel® Core i7 9750H, 2.6/4.5 GHz- 1TB PCIe NVMe M.2 SSD+ 1TB SATA 6 SSD- 32GB SDRAM DDR4 2666 MHz- Nvidia GeForce GTX 1660 Ti 6 GB-WIN 11 PRO

Cham M
With us: 20 years 8 months

Post #8by Cham » 15.04.2008, 00:03

I advocate for some new orbit and label colors, for each new class. The dwarfplanet and minormoon should have their own orbit and label color, defined in the start script. The user could then use the same color as for the planets, if he/she wants to. I prefer a different color, so we can clearly see the difference.

I agree with the shift-m and shift-p keyboard shortcuts.
"Well! I've often seen a cat without a grin", thought Alice; "but a grin without a cat! It's the most curious thing I ever saw in all my life!"

bdm
With us: 19 years 2 months

Post #9by bdm » 15.04.2008, 00:28

What is the definition of a minor moon?

Topic author
chris
Site Admin

Post #10by chris » 15.04.2008, 01:03

bdm wrote:What is the definition of a minor moon?

It's arbitrary. The idea is to eliminate the clutter of orbits and labels around the outer planets when moon orbits are enabled. In most cases, you're just interested in the larger moons that generally orbit in the equatorial plane of the planet. The cloud of rocks in orbit around the gas giants are just a distraction 99% of the time, but every once in a while it's interesting to have a look at them. The minormoon class provides a way to filter them out without actually removing them from the ssc files.

Grant pointed out that there are really two classes of 'minor moons': small satellites that orbit close to the planet in the equatorial (such as the ring shepherd moons) and distant irregular satellites that tend to have very inclineds. But, to avoid overwhelming the user with options, I've implemented just one minor moon class for both these types of object.

--Chris

Kolano

Post #11by Kolano » 15.04.2008, 01:05

• While the existing data files may contradict this, I'd personally like to define "minor-moon" as a moon without an official name (i.e. numbered moons). That may provide a more concrete definition than currently proposed.
  • Regarding orbit color, I feel moons/minor moons and planets/dwarf planets should be of the same "color" (i.e. red, blue, purple) but of differing shades so that they can be distinguished from one another (i.e. moons are dark blue, minor-moons light blue). Label color should match orbit color.
  • Ceres, Pluto, and Eris should be dwarf planets. If the IAU decision is reversed then they should reverse back, but until then they are dwarfs.

ElChristou
Developer

Post #12by ElChristou » 15.04.2008, 11:58

Do each entries in minormoons.ssc and numberedmoons.ssc need to be edited adding the minormoon class?

Topic author
chris
Site Admin

Post #13by chris » 15.04.2008, 16:49

ElChristou wrote:Do each entries in minormoons.ssc and numberedmoons.ssc need to be edited adding the minormoon class?

Yes, they all need to be edited and assigned the class minormoon. I could add some code to do it automatically (e.g. anything with a radius less than 1/1000th of its parent's is a minormoon), but any such criterion has weird holes or cutoffs. It's better if the maintainers of the data files are explicit about what is a minor moon, as ultimately there's no clear natural boundary between moon and minor moon. The decision is clear with some objects, such as when comparing Titan to Ymir, an 18km rock orbiting Saturn in an eccentric retrograde orbit with a semimajor axis of 23 million km. But what about the co-orbital satellites of Dione and Tethys? Are they minor satellites because of they're size? Or major satellites because the have regular orbits? Given the challenges involved in making an automatic categorization based on size and orbits, I feel it's best to simply leave it to us humans. :)

--Chris

Topic author
chris
Site Admin

Post #14by chris » 15.04.2008, 16:57

Kolano wrote:
  • While the existing data files may contradict this, I'd personally like to define "minor-moon" as a moon without an official name (i.e. numbered moons). That may provide a more concrete definition than currently proposed.
No. The whole point of the minor moon category is to eliminate orbit and label clutter. Saturn has 60 named satellites; showing all of their orbits still leaves the Saturn system looking rather busy.

• Regarding orbit color, I feel moons/minor moons and planets/dwarf planets should be of the same "color" (i.e. red, blue, purple) but of differing shades so that they can be distinguished from one another (i.e. moons are dark blue, minor-moons light blue). Label color should match orbit color.
  • For dwarf planets, I agree with you. Since there's no official distinction between moons and minor moons, I'm not sure it's right to give them different orbit colors. On the other hand, it would be helpful to highlight the primary satellites.

• Ceres, Pluto, and Eris should be dwarf planets. If the IAU decision is reversed then they should reverse back, but until then they are dwarfs.

• Agreed.

--Chris

Topic author
    chris
    Site Admin

Post #15by chris » 15.04.2008, 17:00

ANDREA wrote:
    chris wrote:I've added new object classes called minormoon and dwarf planet. ....Some other questions:...identical label/orbit colors as for planets?--Chris
    Chris, actually in my "The new Solar System show" I'm compelled to define Pluto, Ceres and Eris Dwarf planets as spacecraft, so giving them a different label/orbit color. 8)
    So I would prefer, if this is not a big programming problem, to have dwarf planets as a different class with its own label/orbit color, possibly.

Yes, I will give them different colors. It's not at all a hard thing to do.

--Chris

ANDREA
    With us: 22 years 3 months

Post #16by ANDREA » 15.04.2008, 17:12

chris wrote:
    ANDREA wrote:So I would prefer, if this is not a big programming problem, to have dwarf planets as a different class with its own label/orbit color, possibly. However it's not a must-be change, IMHO. :wink:
    --Chris
    Thank you, Chris, appreciated.
    Bye

Andrea :D
    "Something is always better than nothing!"
    HP Omen 15-DC1040nl- Intel® Core i7 9750H, 2.6/4.5 GHz- 1TB PCIe NVMe M.2 SSD+ 1TB SATA 6 SSD- 32GB SDRAM DDR4 2666 MHz- Nvidia GeForce GTX 1660 Ti 6 GB-WIN 11 PRO

Vincent
    Developer
    With us: 19 years 8 months

Post #17by Vincent » 15.04.2008, 17:25

chris wrote:
    ANDREA wrote:

--Chris

Chris,

I've added the Dwarf Planet and Minor Moon label/orbit settings to the QT4 and Windows UIs.
    I also made the required change to the orbit/label renderer in order to test my changes.
    This should save you a few minutes of coding... :wink:
    Now, we just need to agree on the label and orbit colors for these two new classes...
    @+
    Vincent

Celestia Qt4 SVN / Celestia 1.6.1 + Lua Edu Tools v1.2
    GeForce 8600 GT 1024MB / AMD Athlon 64 Dual Core / 4Go DDR2 / XP SP3

Topic author
    chris
    Site Admin

Post #18by chris » 15.04.2008, 17:34

Vincent wrote:Chris,

I've added the Dwarf Planet and Minor Moon label/orbit settings to the QT4 and Windows UIs.
    I also made the required change to the orbit/label renderer in order to test my changes.
    This should save you a few minutes of coding... :wink:
    Now, we just need to agree on the label and orbit colors for these two new classes...

Thanks, Vincent. I've checked in the core changes, the keyboard bindings, and the Qt4 solar system browser changes. So go ahead and commit the UI changes whenever you're ready.

--Chris

cartrite
    With us: 19 years
    Location: Pocono Mountains, Pennsylvania, USA Greate Grandfother from Irshava, Zakarpattia Oblast Ukraine

Post #19by cartrite » 15.04.2008, 18:23

Chris,
    I just built r4275. And no for others out there, I did not update my site yet.
    I made the following change to minormoons.ssc from the extras folder.

Code: Select all

"Metis" "Sol/Jupiter"
    {
       Class "MinorMoon"
       Texture       "asteroid.jpg"
       SemiAxes [ 30 20 20 ]

EllipticalOrbit
       {
       Period      0.294780
       SemiMajorAxis   127979
       Eccentricity   0.0012
       Inclination   0.019
       AscendingNode   263.953   #
       ArgOfPericenter 274.588   # J2000.0
       MeanAnomaly   7.649   #
       }

When I toggle M nothing seemed to happen until I went to Metis. I toggled m and lit up all the moon labels. Then when I toggled M, the Metis label disappeared and reappeared. But if I togged m to turn the labels off on all moons, toggling M had no affect. 8O
    Is this how it is supposed to work?
    cartrite
    VivoBook_ASUSLaptop X712JA_S712JA Intel(R) UHD Graphics 8gb ram. Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-1035G1 CPU @ 1.00GHz, 1190 Mhz, 4 Core(s), 8 Logical Processor(s) 8 GB ram. Running on Windows 11 and OpenSuse 15.4

ajtribick
    Developer
    With us: 21 years 1 month

Post #20by ajtribick » 15.04.2008, 18:29

What is the default class for objects in orbit around dwarf planets: moon or minormoon?

Return to “Celestia Users”