How do you create spacecraft meshes

General discussion about Celestia that doesn't fit into other forums.
Topic author
Nomadic
With us: 17 years

How do you create spacecraft meshes

Post #1by Nomadic » 21.08.2007, 22:41

I know how to place spacecraft. The problem is I don't know how to create the meshes for them nor how to add textures correctly. I can't create the meshes with my current 3d program (3ds max 7) and am wondering what program I need in order to create them.

Thanks

ElChristou
Developer
With us: 19 years 4 months

Post #2by ElChristou » 21.08.2007, 23:36

Heu... So you bought 3ds Max for what? You can do what you want with this soft, you don't need anything else! Just read the manual!

DonAVP
With us: 18 years 6 months

Post #3by DonAVP » 22.08.2007, 02:50

3D Max has one of the largest user bases in the world. I believe it is because its roots are in AutoCad. I model in Lightwave personally. There are a number of free modeling programs Anim8or (this has been mentioned before), Google SketchUp 6 (made for buildings but could be used for spacecraft) and Blender. Most of the programs especially the free ones require a learning curve. I would suggest you find user groups or forums that address the learning issues. You can also find free models of various kinds (even spacecraft) on the net.

Don
Don't know anything

Topic author
Nomadic
With us: 17 years

Post #4by Nomadic » 22.08.2007, 05:13

No no, what I mean is, I can model in 3d programs just fine (I have about 4 years experience with that). The problem is that celestia won't recognize my file types (.max). Looking at the models I have downloaded it looks like it uses either .3ds (spacecraft) or .cmod (planetoids) files but I don't recognize those file types. What programs are capable of saving in those formats (3ds 7 doesn't as far as I can see)?

On a side note, I use 3ds because that is what I was taught on. Familiarity makes things easier.

Chuft-Captain
With us: 18 years 6 months

Post #5by Chuft-Captain » 22.08.2007, 10:12

Hey,

if you no longer want 3DS Max, I'll be glad to take it off your hands. :wink: :lol:
"Is a planetary surface the right place for an expanding technological civilization?"
-- Gerard K. O'Neill (1969)

CATALOG SYNTAX HIGHLIGHTING TOOLS LAGRANGE POINTS

selden
Developer
With us: 21 years 9 months

Post #6by selden » 22.08.2007, 10:34

3DS format is what 3D Studio Max originally used before it changed to using MAX format. It should be available as an "export" option, even if not as a "save as" option, perhaps by using a plugin. (I don't have 3D Studio Max, so I can't verify that.) Separate conversion utilities also are available.

CMOD is Celestia's proprietary 3D format, optimized for use with OpenGL. Celestia can draw a CMOD model about 1.5-2x as fast as it can draw the equivalent 3DS model. A 3DS to CMOD conversion utility is available.

Some information about modelling for Celestia is available at http://www.lepp.cornell.edu/~seb/celest ... lling.html
Selden

Return to “Celestia Users”