Newbie needs some basic help

General discussion about Celestia that doesn't fit into other forums.
Topic author
Ms. C
With us: 17 years 2 months

Newbie needs some basic help

Post #1by Ms. C » 01.05.2007, 19:12

I am a teacher and want to use Celestia in the class. However, I can't figure out how to use the add ons. I downloaded the Babylon 5 and unzipped it into the C:\program files\celestia\\models\extras\babylon 5\

I am using Win XP...

I can't figure out how to USE it. I downloaded a couple of other ones but I want to figure out how to make the program use it...I tried File, OPen Script and nothing came up when I navigate to the folders. So I am stuck. Can someone help me use the program correctly? There was nothing in the HELP file either so I feel like an idiot. I've examined all the menus and so on but something I am not doing is wrong!

selden
Developer
With us: 21 years 10 months

Post #2by selden » 01.05.2007, 19:44

The Babylon5 Addons all place their models in orbit around the star Epsilon Eridani. This can be discovered by reading the catalog file
0-EPSErisys.ssc
which comes in the initial B5 Addon.

To see the B5 objects, after you've extracted the Zip archive into your Celestia/extras folder, you first must
goto EPS Eri
and then you can goto one of the B5 objects.

e.g. type
[return (or Enter)]
eps eri
[return (or Enter)]
g

to go to the star.

Since you're using the Windows version of Celestia, you can use the menu
Navigation/ Solar System Browser
after you've gone to EPS Eri.

When you've become more familiar with Celestia, you'll find there are other ways to navigate, too. Spending some time going through Frank Gregorio's Users Guide will help. It's available on the MotherLode's Documentation page at http://www.celestiamotherlode.net/catal ... ation.html

Does this help?
Selden

ElChristou
Developer
With us: 19 years 5 months

Post #3by ElChristou » 01.05.2007, 19:59

Selden, because of "C:\program files\celestia\\models\extras\babylon 5\ " I suppose the problem is elsewhere...

@ Ms. C: You may try some search on the forum, read some stickies here and there, you will find all you need.

Another hint, most addons need to be unzip in the extras folder (never see a "extras" folder within a "models" folder...)

Now if as a teacher you only need some Babylon 5 stuff in your classroom, perhaps Celestia is not the indicated...

Topic author
Ms. C

Post #4by Ms. C » 03.05.2007, 15:03

selden wrote:Since you're using the Windows version of Celestia, you can use the menu
Navigation/ Solar System Browser
after you've gone to EPS Eri.

I was able to get to the Eps Eri star but cannot get to any of the B5 objects. I have extracted the file into the celestia EXTRAS folder, so the B5 folders are in there. But when I tried the Navigation Menu, again, I was unable to get anything that showed any of the B5 items. When I clicked on SOLAR SYSTEM BROWSER, I get SUN, then B, then C as a choice. Both go to similar looking planets but there is nothing else there. I also tried lookingin other menus and couldn't find any help there.

So, I am stuck. I will check out the manual when I have time and try to figure out how to do this. I am interested in this program and also want something to show students so maybe they will get interested in something other than I-pods and how to sit around and do nothing professionally.

Cham M
With us: 20 years 5 months

Post #5by Cham » 03.05.2007, 15:57

Ms. C wrote:and also want something to show students so maybe they will get interested in something other than I-pods and how to sit around and do nothing professionally.

ROFL !

Why does this seams familiar to me !? :twisted:
"Well! I've often seen a cat without a grin", thought Alice; "but a grin without a cat! It's the most curious thing I ever saw in all my life!"

selden
Developer

Post #6by selden » 03.05.2007, 18:08

Ms. C,

The symptoms you describe mean that Celestia doesn't see the Addon's files. They might still be in the wrong places.

You might take a look at the Web page
http://www.lepp.cornell.edu/~seb/celest ... intro.html
It tries to explain which files have to go where and why.
Selden

Topic author
Ms. C

Post #7by Ms. C » 04.05.2007, 13:37

Cham wrote:
Ms. C wrote:and also want something to show students so maybe they will get interested in something other than I-pods and how to sit around and do nothing professionally.

ROFL !

Why does this seams familiar to me !? :twisted:

It would be even funnier if it wasn't so pathetically true. I live in a place where the students feel entitled to treat people like dirt and that they should get a grade for breathing in your direction. I am allegedly teaching honors students in a new high school that just opened but if you assign them ONE homework assignment a week that is something a 7th grader could do, I am lucky to get 50% of the students to bother with it. They complain, whine, argue, give excuses and their parents are even worse. Seems that life is too busy for them to bother with their kids although they are "very good parents in all respects".

My really good friend, who is a 22 year veteran is not coming back next year. She's had it with the horrible attitudes and the disrespect. I am so upset about it because we are drowning in paperwork for No Child Left Behind stuff and meetings and grading that we never have time to see each other, collaborate or even take our lunches. I am going to miss her so much. Another of my colleagues is also thinking of walking away from teaching. I would in a second if I didn't have a house. I am single and on my own so I don't have any way to just leave it and look for a new career.

Anyway, I know it sounds horrible and it really is. I have been teaching for 12 years and while I managed to pull some very high AIMS scores (89% in reading and 90% passed in writing with no fall far behinds) out of my sophomore regular ed students, the failure rate for kids is really high and they don't care if they have to repeat something two or three times. I thought that it was just the particular area the schools were in but over the years, it has gotten worse and it is the same no matter where you go. So I am afraid to go to any other district in the Phoenix metro area. Oh well...

So I have to try to come up with things that might appeal to them for a minute and put some knowledge in their heads. It's really tough though.

selden
Developer

Post #8by selden » 04.05.2007, 13:47

Frank Gregorio's educational activities might be useful. He claims that his students enjoy them.

http://www.celestiamotherlode.net/catal ... tional.php
Selden

Topic author
Ms. C

Post #9by Ms. C » 04.05.2007, 14:01

selden wrote:Ms. C,

The symptoms you describe mean that Celestia doesn't see the Addon's files. They might still be in the wrong places.

You might take a look at the Web page
http://www.lepp.cornell.edu/~seb/celest ... intro.html
It tries to explain which files have to go where and why.

First I tried reading the addon help guide and was trying to copy files and folders around and got confused so I deleted everything and dragged the Babylon 5 folder into addons and it works so far. The solar system items come up on the menu (Solar System Browser) and everything looks fine so far. Now to see about other items. Thank you.

selden
Developer

Post #10by selden » 04.05.2007, 14:02

You're quite welcome.

Best of luck!
Selden

Cham M

Post #11by Cham » 04.05.2007, 14:21

Ms. C wrote:It would be even funnier if it wasn't so pathetically true. I live in a place where the students feel entitled to treat people like dirt and that they should get a grade for breathing in your direction. I am allegedly teaching honors students in a new high school that just opened but if you assign them ONE homework assignment a week that is something a 7th grader could do, I am lucky to get 50% of the students to bother with it. They complain, whine, argue, give excuses and their parents are even worse. Seems that life is too busy for them to bother with their kids although they are "very good parents in all respects".

My really good friend, who is a 22 year veteran is not coming back next year. She's had it with the horrible attitudes and the disrespect. I am so upset about it because we are drowning in paperwork for No Child Left Behind stuff and meetings and grading that we never have time to see each other, collaborate or even take our lunches. I am going to miss her so much. Another of my colleagues is also thinking of walking away from teaching. I would in a second if I didn't have a house. I am single and on my own so I don't have any way to just leave it and look for a new career.

Anyway, I know it sounds horrible and it really is. I have been teaching for 12 years and while I managed to pull some very high AIMS scores (89% in reading and 90% passed in writing with no fall far behinds) out of my sophomore regular ed students, the failure rate for kids is really high and they don't care if they have to repeat something two or three times. I thought that it was just the particular area the schools were in but over the years, it has gotten worse and it is the same no matter where you go. So I am afraid to go to any other district in the Phoenix metro area. Oh well...

Sadly, it is the same here, in Quebec. Education is falling appart. I'm lucky enough to teach at the college level (CEGEP, which is pre-university and equivalent to the first year of university in the US). But even here, the students sucks. Most of them wont be able to survive at the university. They don't know anymore how to write and read, how to make any logical reasoning, etc. I'm teaching since 14 years, and I can tell the difference. It will be extremelly ugly here, in about 10 years ! :evil:
"Well! I've often seen a cat without a grin", thought Alice; "but a grin without a cat! It's the most curious thing I ever saw in all my life!"

Topic author
Ms. C

Post #12by Ms. C » 04.05.2007, 14:21

Thanks for the link. I will look it over. I am glad it's Friday!

brightnysalor
With us: 16 years 5 months

Post #13by brightnysalor » 17.01.2008, 05:35

Gedday folks

I'm having the same difficulty with a new install. I'm running XP, pentium 4, 2 Gig, and using Celestia 1.41ED.

I've unzipped the first Babylon 5 download, created an addon directory, copied across the folders, but the planets and B5 station do not appear around Epsilon Eridani. (This is particularly frustrating because the B5 addons are working fine on my original install on another pc).

A few questions:

Are there limits on the ED version of Celestia?

Can you load too many addons so that Celestia won't load any more? (I've loaded all the EDU packs on this install).

My file structure is c://Program files/Celestia-ED/extras/addons/Babylon 5/Epsilon Eridani System/ .... then the various subfolders.

The 0-EPSErisys.ssc file is located in the ...System folder.

Does capitalisation of Addons (and Extras) make a difference? Seldons' 'Brief Introduction to Celestia Addons' uses both upper and lower case for this folder at different points.

Cheers

John

brightnysalor
With us: 16 years 5 months

Post #14by brightnysalor » 18.01.2008, 02:38

brightnysalor wrote:Gedday folks

I'm having the same difficulty with a new install. I'm running XP, pentium 4, 2 Gig, and using Celestia 1.41ED.

Surprisingly, I have discovered that the addons run cleanly in Celestia 1.5. The problem seems to be with the ED version.

Learning curve ....

John

fsgregs
With us: 21 years 8 months

Post #15by fsgregs » 31.01.2008, 02:01

John:

The educational version of Celestia 1.4.1 places all of its add-ons in a different folder named "educational-extras". The default "extras" folder used by Celestia is not active. When you launch Celestia-ED, only the add-ons in the educational-extras folder will load. Further, there are over 2 GB of add-ons in that folder, divided into sub-folders. To save your computer from overloading, the Activities individually control which add-ons load. For example, if you are using Activity 3, only the add-ons in the Activity 3 sub-folder inside the educational-extras folder will load.

If you want to add any add-on to the EDU version of Celestia 1.4.1, simply place it into this folder:

C://Program Files/Celestia-ED/educational-extras/general

The general sub-folder inside educational-extras loads whenever Celestia-ED is launched.

To answer your question, you cannot overload Celestia's files and folder handling with too many add-ons, but you can overload Celestia. If it tries to load big textures, plus spacecraft, plus models, plus ...., it will try to draw them all. You can easily run out of Video RAM and overtax your video card to the point that your frame rates drop to near zero, or the screen freezes. That is why the educational version of Celestia has its add-ons in a separate extras folder, subdivided into sub-folders. Only certain folders load when specific educational activities are run (to keep your video card from overloading)

Regards

Frank

Cham M

Post #16by Cham » 31.01.2008, 02:57

O fsgregs,

how do you make Celestia 1.4.1 to load only an activity at once, without overloading Celestia ? Having a special extra folder is the same as having the default extra folder, isn't ?

fsgregs
With us: 21 years 8 months

Post #17by fsgregs » 31.01.2008, 21:49

Cham:

You do it by following a multi-step setup process using a Windows shortcut with a command line in it, separating extras folders for different sets of add-ons, and separating cfg files. Once set up, it becomes simple to launch only the add-ons you wish to use on a particular occasion. Since this is a technique many others in the forum may also wish to use, I have created a separate thread explaining how to do it, posted in the Users section of the forum. Here is the link to it:

http://shatters.net/forum/viewtopic.php?p=99698#99698

Enjoy

Frank

Return to “Celestia Users”