Question about precession...

General discussion about Celestia that doesn't fit into other forums.
Topic author
chrisr
With us: 20 years 10 months

Question about precession...

Post #1by chrisr » 09.04.2007, 19:40

Maybe i'm totally missing it, but it doesn't seem like precession and nutation are included in the body movements of earth. Is there a computational reason why this is not done...

I was just reading about precession for my mechanics class and thought it would be cool to see celestia show which way north would be and what star it would point to in 13000yrs...but it didnt work...
Just do what makes you happy provided you do not infringe on another's happiness for there is no point in living if you do not have happiness.
[tex]Happiness = \[\int_a^b \int_c^d \int_e^f \int_g^h U(x,y,z,t)\,dx dy dz dt\] = 42[/tex]
If only we knew U!

selden
Developer
With us: 21 years 9 months

Post #2by selden » 09.04.2007, 21:21

The code for handling precession in v1.4.1 and previous versions of Celestia interferes with the orientation of the Moon's orbit, so the Earth's precession is not enabled in solarsys.ssc.

Chris rewrote the relevant code for Celestia v1.5 and it should work better. I noticed that the precession specification in the cvs copy of solarsys.ssc is commented out, but I'm not sure why; perhaps the parameters aren't as accurate as they might be.

At any rate, if you run Windows, you might try uncommenting the precession specification that's in Celestia v1.5.0pre2 and see if it does reasonable things.
Selden

Andy74 M
With us: 19 years 11 months

Post #3by Andy74 » 10.04.2007, 09:33

selden wrote:Chris rewrote the relevant code for Celestia v1.5 and it should work better. I noticed that the precession specification in the cvs copy of solarsys.ssc is commented out, but I'm not sure why; perhaps the parameters aren't as accurate as they might be.

Maybe this could be clarified by one of the developers. Chris?

Andy

Colin_hutcheson
With us: 17 years 4 months

Post #4by Colin_hutcheson » 10.04.2007, 10:39

It would be nice for Celestia to show precession, however, if you want to see the stars back in time, then try using Stellarium (another free planetarium software package).

Both these packages do different things, but compliment each other.
Colin Hutcheson
Planetarium Presenter
Birmingham
B4 7XG

Registered charity no. 1061898

Return to “Celestia Users”