Old Pictures from Celestia (locked)

General discussion about Celestia that doesn't fit into other forums.
PlutonianEmpire M
With us: 19 years 9 months

Re: Post your Celestia pictures!

Post #941by PlutonianEmpire » 04.02.2012, 00:40

I messed around with the atmosphere values for Titan's Mie atmosphere. The deep blue seemed ridiculous.

titan3.jpg

titan4.jpg

titan5.png
Terraformed Pluto: Now with New Horizons maps! :D

t00fri
Developer
With us: 22 years 3 months

Post #942by t00fri » 04.02.2012, 10:17

PlutonianEmpire wrote:I messed around with the atmosphere values for Titan's Mie atmosphere. The deep blue seemed ridiculous.

The deep blue haze extending above the orange smog is of course not ridiculous. I had several instructive mail exchanges about its existence and its visual appearance with the Cassini lead scientist before implementing it into Celestia.

Here is a (true/natural) color photo by NASA
http://www.space.com/14053-titans-orang ... close.html
Credit: NASA/JPL-Caltech/Space Science Institute
orange-blue-haze-1600.jpg

and this is the comparison with Celestia.1.6.x
titan_atm2.jpg

++++++++++++++++++
Note: Removing the orange smog by hitting the 'I' key shortcut makes little sense without also switching off Titan's atmosphere (via CTRL+A) at the same time. Without removing the latter, you indeed perceive an unnatural display of the remaining deep blue haze around Titan that is too intensive visually! Such (partial) displays have no relation to reality anyway. Their only purpose is to enable a glimpse on Titan's surface morphology without actually using 'infrared filters' to penetrate the orange smog.
++++++++++++++++++

But nevertheless, look at this close-up (UV enhanced) photo of the layers of Titan's atmosphere by the Cassini spacecraft
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Titan ... Layers.jpg

Imagine to remove just the orange smog in the lower part of this close-up and you will retain an image not too dissimilar to what Celestia gives after just removing the orange cloud layer (i.e. by hitting the 'I' key)

I think you also worsened the backscattering appearance of Titan in comparison with
what I implemented into Celestia. Its close resemblance with real Cassini photos
has been amply discussed in previous shatters.net threads:
titan_backscatter.jpg

Fridger

PlutonianEmpire M

Post #943by PlutonianEmpire » 04.02.2012, 21:59

t00fri wrote:
PlutonianEmpire wrote:I messed around with the atmosphere values for Titan's Mie atmosphere. The deep blue seemed ridiculous.

The deep blue haze extending above the orange smog is of course not ridiculous.
Which is why I used the word "seemed". ;)
I had several instructive mail exchanges about its existence and its visual appearance with the Cassini lead scientist before implementing it into Celestia.

Here is a (true/natural) color photo by NASA
http://www.space.com/14053-titans-orang ... close.html
Credit: NASA/JPL-Caltech/Space Science Institute

and this is the comparison with Celestia.1.6.x

++++++++++++++++++
Note: Removing the orange smog by hitting the 'I' key shortcut makes little sense without also switching off Titan's atmosphere (via CTRL+A) at the same time. Without removing the latter, you indeed perceive an unnatural display of the remaining deep blue haze around Titan that is too intensive visually! Such (partial) displays have no relation to reality anyway. Their only purpose is to enable a glimpse on Titan's surface morphology without actually using 'infrared filters' to penetrate the orange smog.
++++++++++++++++++

But nevertheless, look at this close-up (UV enhanced) photo of the layers of Titan's atmosphere by the Cassini spacecraft
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Titan ... Layers.jpg

Imagine to remove just the orange smog in the lower part of this close-up and you will retain an image not too dissimilar to what Celestia gives after just removing the orange cloud layer (i.e. by hitting the 'I' key)

I think you also worsened the backscattering appearance of Titan in comparison with
what I implemented into Celestia. Its close resemblance with real Cassini photos
has been amply discussed in previous shatters.net threads:

Fridger
I think I faintly recall from past discussions that Celestia is intended to give the user a "naked eye" experience, meaning space is shown as it would appear to the naked eye. I also faintly recall a statement saying the blue haze in Titan's upper atmosphere is probably not visible to the naked eye. I took both these into account when modifying Titan's atmosphere.

I could be wrong though.

t00fri
Developer

Post #944by t00fri » 05.02.2012, 09:46

PlutonianEmpire wrote:...
I think I faintly recall from past discussions that Celestia is intended to give the user a "naked eye" experience, meaning space is shown as it would appear to the naked eye. I also faintly recall a statement saying the blue haze in Titan's upper atmosphere is probably not visible to the naked eye. I took both these into account when modifying Titan's atmosphere.

I could be wrong though.

To clear these matters up in an "authoritative" manner, I had contacted the leading scientist of the Cassini mission (as I wrote above). While you may do whatever you like with your Titan images, in Celestia Development we try to stick to facts rather than to unreferenced "faint remembrances". I would not have implemented a weak trace of the deep blue haze beyond the orange smog boundary ( see above) without a direct confirmation by Cassini mission scientists of its faint naked eye visibility. I suggest you consult this official page about the Blue Haze and its appearance in Natural Colors <=> naked eye visibility:
http://saturn.jpl.nasa.gov/photos/image ... ageId=4445
The annotations comply with the informations I received directly by Cassini scientists.

Of course, the actual visibility of the Blue Haze is weaker than displayed on some NASA images, like e.g. here on the introductory page of the Cassini Solstice Mission site:

http://saturn.jpl.nasa.gov/science/inde ... ePageID=73

Finally, as concerns your desire
PlutonianEmpire wrote:...to give the user a "naked eye" experience,
this image you displayed in your post above then is a manifest contradiction thereof
titan4.jpg

You sure know that it is impossible to see details of Titan's surface with the naked eye!

And besides, in Celestia we had to break this qualitative rule of "naked eye visibility" in many places in favor of an astrophysically more complete and thus more sensible visualization. It is a fact that these days only a small fraction of astronomical imaging takes place in the tiny wavelength window of strict "naked eye visibility".

Fridger

Reiko
With us: 17 years 8 months

Post #945by Reiko » 06.02.2012, 09:48

Dry dock with spotlights is getting a little better. Still have a lot to do.

:blue:

Goofy
With us: 12 years 10 months

Post #946by Goofy » 06.02.2012, 10:47

Reiko wrote:Dry dock with spotlights is getting a little better. Still have a lot to do. :blue:
Gasp! 8O
Well done, Reiko, it looks like a real thing.
Cannot wait to test it.
Bye

Goofy :D
"Something is always better than nothing!"
HP Omen 15-DC1040nl- Intel® Core i7 9750H, 2.6/4.5 GHz- 1TB PCIe NVMe M.2 SSD+ 1TB SATA 6 SSD- 32GB SDRAM DDR4 2666 MHz- Nvidia GeForce GTX 1660 Ti 6 GB-WIN 11 PRO

Cham M
With us: 20 years 5 months

Post #947by Cham » 06.02.2012, 15:07

Really beautiful, Reiko ! It doesn't look like in Celestia, it's looking like real ! 8O
"Well! I've often seen a cat without a grin", thought Alice; "but a grin without a cat! It's the most curious thing I ever saw in all my life!"

PlutonianEmpire M

Post #948by PlutonianEmpire » 07.02.2012, 06:36

t00fri wrote:
PlutonianEmpire wrote:...

I could be wrong though.

To clear these matters up in an "authoritative" manner, I had contacted the leading scientist of the Cassini mission (as I wrote above). While you may do whatever you like with your Titan images, in Celestia Development we try to stick to facts rather than to unreferenced "faint remembrances". I would not have implemented a weak trace of the deep blue haze beyond the orange smog boundary ( see above) without a direct confirmation by Cassini mission scientists of its faint naked eye visibility. I suggest you consult this official page about the Blue Haze and its appearance in Natural Colors <=> naked eye visibility:
http://saturn.jpl.nasa.gov/photos/image ... ageId=4445
The annotations comply with the informations I received directly by Cassini scientists.

Of course, the actual visibility of the Blue Haze is weaker than displayed on some NASA images, like e.g. here on the introductory page of the Cassini Solstice Mission site:

http://saturn.jpl.nasa.gov/science/inde ... ePageID=73

Finally, as concerns your desire
PlutonianEmpire wrote:...to give the user a "naked eye" experience,
this image you displayed in your post above then is a manifest contradiction thereof
titan4.jpg

You sure know that it is impossible to see details of Titan's surface with the naked eye!

And besides, in Celestia we had to break this qualitative rule of "naked eye visibility" in many places in favor of an astrophysically more complete and thus more sensible visualization. It is a fact that these days only a small fraction of astronomical imaging takes place in the tiny wavelength window of strict "naked eye visibility".

Fridger
Ah. In any case, I do apologize. :oops:

Reiko

Post #949by Reiko » 08.02.2012, 19:04

Goofy wrote:
Reiko wrote:Dry dock with spotlights is getting a little better. Still have a lot to do. :blue:
Gasp! 8O
Well done, Reiko, it looks like a real thing.
Cannot wait to test it.
Bye

Goofy :D

Cham wrote:Really beautiful, Reiko ! It doesn't look like in Celestia, it's looking like real ! 8O

J.T.K. wrote:
Cool !
You can work for ILM or Pixar. :D

Can you tell us the weight of your files ?
Drydock= :?:
Enterprise= :?:

Thank you guys. :) The lighting was accomplished using the texture baking features of 3ds Max 2012. The big drawback to that is working on how to get rid of the texture seams that result from the unwrapping process. You can't see them when viewing the ship up close but when you pull back they are very obvious. :(

J.T.K. wrote:Can you tell us the weight of your files ?
Drydock= :?:
Enterprise= :?:

So far the whole thing is around 27MB but most of that is a result of the textures. Once I optimize them that number should come way down. The models themselves come out to 6.7MB all together.
All I did was take an Enterprise and dock model from Bridge Commander then unwrap and re-render the textures with the lighting effects baked in.

PlutonianEmpire M

Post #950by PlutonianEmpire » 09.02.2012, 08:44

I took over an existing star, manipulated it to fit my needs, and egomaniacally named the system after myself. :twisted:

The original star is still itself; I simply bumped it up to trinary status. The star on the left is itself a fictional close binary, with the original star on the right. It is the same system in which both the Nueve Pluton moon and lavender gas giant I introduced on page 59 are located. The fictional binary was added later.

genes_star.jpg

PlutonianEmpire M

Post #951by PlutonianEmpire » 11.02.2012, 07:19

J.T.K. wrote:Hi,

I think that the system is not stable :( .
More the orbit of the farest planet is disrupted by second star,
but we didn't see the charateristics of the stc file...
Ah, I see.

here's a zip containing the system (SSC and STC only, no textures), so you can see for yourself. :)

system.zip

Anyways, I got tired of Earth orbiting Saturn, so I put Saturn back in its rightful orbit, and came up with a completely fictional gas giant in Earth's original orbit.

Introducing, Earth and Gaea. :)

gaea2b.jpg

John Van Vliet
With us: 21 years 10 months

Post #952by John Van Vliet » 12.02.2012, 22:29

some fun with cassini rev 161
https://picasaweb.google.com/1026959012 ... siniRev161
example
Titan & Enceladus mutual event

PlutonianEmpire M

Post #953by PlutonianEmpire » 13.02.2012, 00:22

J.T.K. wrote:
PlutonianEmpire wrote:
J.T.K. wrote:Hi,

I think that the system is not stable :( .
More the orbit of the farest planet is disrupted by second star,
but we didn't see the charateristics of the stc file...
Ah, I see.

here's a zip containing the system (SSC and STC only, no textures), so you can see for yourself. :)

Fine, I took the file and here are the result :
1° After downloading, the simulation up to 240 000 years after J.C. and the stars are always each side of barycenter.
2° The inclination of the farest planet is good and considers the presence of the first star.
There is no physically problem for this stars system.

But...
You take an 'A star', I think that it is too big, too bright, to hot, too short life...life (which we know it) doesn't support this star type, why not a F, G or K ?
For the another binary (G7 and G9) no problem.

Go on !
I think it's safe to say the habitable worlds in this system are terraformed. ;)

Reiko

Post #954by Reiko » 13.02.2012, 09:57

Added space suited people standing on the hull. :)

bh
With us: 21 years 6 months

Post #955by bh » 13.02.2012, 12:03

Amazing Reiko!
regards...bh.

PlutonianEmpire M

Post #956by PlutonianEmpire » 14.02.2012, 00:53

I love the random combinations I get with the the modified SSC generator, and then manaully typing in the file names for the globular cluster generator textures. :)

Like here, a bright, vibrant gas giant, and a dark and mysterious habitable moon.

opposites1.jpg

PlutonianEmpire M

Post #957by PlutonianEmpire » 27.02.2012, 06:38

Mickey Mouse! :mrgreen:

mickey_mouse.jpg

John Van Vliet
With us: 21 years 10 months

Post #958by John Van Vliet » 27.02.2012, 07:07

m.i.c.k.e.y....
now all we need is
Annette_711_thumb_585x795.jpg

chart_watch-805401069-1222880511.jpg

PlutonianEmpire M

Post #959by PlutonianEmpire » 01.03.2012, 07:34

Back to one of my old favorites, Terraformed Pluto. :)

tf_pluto5.jpg

tf_pluto6.jpg

Looks just like any other Earthlike world, betraying its tiny radius. :)

t00fri
Developer

Post #960by t00fri » 01.03.2012, 15:04

Close-up of the very young globular cluster Whiting 1 in Celestia.Sci
This remarkable globular is actually associated with the Sagittarius dwarf spheroidal (Sgr dSph) galaxy. It is very likely that Whiting 1 originated in a dwarf galaxy that has since been disrupted by the Milky Way.
http://dx.doi.org/10.1051/0004-6361:20066825

The rendering uses the same shader stars both for normal stars and for the stars of the globular.

[Click on image by all means!]
whiting1.jpg

Fridger

Return to “Celestia Users”