Old Pictures from Celestia (locked)

General discussion about Celestia that doesn't fit into other forums.
bdm
With us: 18 years 11 months

Re: Post your Celestia pictures!

Post #261by bdm » 08.08.2008, 12:36

oceanus-base-sunset.png

A test render of a model I'm working on for a fictional addon. The model is very basic, it's only a few hundred polygons. The shot was nice enough that I thought I would share it.

Oceanus Base is an oceanographic and xenobiological research facility on Oceanus, which is an ocean planet orbiting 107 Piscium.

Royofsaltfleet
With us: 16 years

Post #262by Royofsaltfleet » 25.08.2008, 22:44

Delta Pavonis
Duval - 16th November 4012

The Moons of Diomedes and Pesephone begin to align in a rare Specticle.

Gamma Pavonis
15th September 2731

Lannux San is the insignificant Moon of an important world, Shamrock. 5th planet in the Gamma Pavonis system. with a Poisonous Chlorine rich atmosphere, Shamrock is surrounded by a ring of nearly 10,000 Greenhouse habitats, the Emerald Ribbon. It is a major food producer for the Alliance. Attacked in September 2731 by a massive imperial force, Alliance disinformation convinced the Empire of a minimal guard, the Imperial Fleet was Shattered in a costly victory around the moon, Lannux San. 17 years later a genetically enginnered plague wiped out 700 habitats before it was contained. Known today as the Black 700
Khan
Do you know the Klingon proverb that tells us revenge is a dish that is best served cold?
Its Very Cold in Space

fungun
With us: 16 years 11 months

Post #263by fungun » 26.08.2008, 00:59

Another WIP
You Trek fans will know it :)

Utopia stations by Fernando Oyarce
Vally Forge by Capt. LC Amaral
Miranda by Tyrel Lohr
Drydock by Cordanilus, Dr_McCoy1701A
Repair Facility by Eric Peterson

ElChristou
Developer
With us: 19 years 5 months

Post #264by ElChristou » 26.08.2008, 07:34

fungun wrote:Another WIP

Not that the effort isn't nice, but when will we see some exclusive high res fully optimized models for Celestia? I'd really love to discover the trek universe, but the level of the actual production is unfortunately not very tempting... With all the fans out there, no one could move his bu** to do something really stunning?

selden
Developer
With us: 21 years 10 months

Post #265by selden » 26.08.2008, 12:24

Unfortunately, the people who create really stunning Trek models are not willing to release them to the public :(

There are quite a few to be seen in WIP threads and in 3D renderings on the SciFi-Meshes Web Forum.
Selden

ElChristou
Developer

Post #266by ElChristou » 26.08.2008, 12:33

selden wrote:Unfortunately, the people who create really stunning Trek models are not willing to release them to the public :(
There are quite a few to be seen in WIP threads and in 3D renderings on the SciFi-Meshes Web Forum.

Yep, but this kind of models are not done for real time 3D, it's why I would be happy to see a real Trek fan creating original models FOR Celestia... (by "real fan", I mean someone who will not count the hours necessary to see his favorite universe ported within Celestia)

ElChristou
Developer

Post #267by ElChristou » 26.08.2008, 12:41

selden wrote:...There are quite a few to be seen in WIP threads and in 3D renderings on the SciFi-Meshes Web Forum.

BTW Selden, do you think we could approach such community to propose some challenge or simply a kind of bridge between both communities to propose Celestia as a showcase for the creators? Modelling for real time is quite challenging so perhaps some guys there could be interested?

selden
Developer
With us: 21 years 10 months

Post #268by selden » 26.08.2008, 13:41

I think it would be reasonable to ask. I suspect there are some people there who are familiar with Celestia. Many, however, want their models to be seen in the best possible renderings. I suspect that one of the major things they'd want to see would be shadows cast by 3D objects, which Celestia can't do yet.
Selden

ElChristou
Developer

Post #269by ElChristou » 26.08.2008, 14:18

selden wrote:...I suspect that one of the major things they'd want to see would be shadows cast by 3D objects, which Celestia can't do yet.

Of course but Celestia is supposed to get self shadowing soon or later, no? :wink:
Anyway, IMHO, being able to manipulate a model in real time is very attractive for a showcase and that's an important argument we could use to attract some artists...

fungun

Post #270by fungun » 26.08.2008, 20:23

For me :( it's a matter of economics. My machine can't handle hi res large models and such.
So I do what I can with what I have. Seldon is also correct. Alot of the modelers I have talked to, and have shown them their models in Celestia, say "we'll see". I have found 1 way around the larger models by going to the Star Trek game sites and converting their .nif, .mod files to .3ds using Milkshape. Yes I have all the permissions now :D . Which surprising enough look very good from a respectable distance.
These sites I belong to. I am just getting started in modeling.
http://www.3dgladiators.com/
http://www.foundation3d.com/(CaptBoji)
http://www.scifi-meshes.com/
The machine specks that my Celestia runs on.

Reiko
With us: 17 years 8 months

Post #271by Reiko » 31.08.2008, 01:40

Utopia stations by Fernando Oyarce
Vally Forge by Capt. LC Amaral
Miranda by Tyrel Lohr
Drydock by Cordanilus, Dr_McCoy1701A
Repair Facility by Eric Peterson
Nice! When can we download? :D

fungun

Post #272by fungun » 31.08.2008, 16:48

Soon, I am still tweaking and adding some shuttles and such.
Thanks
Tim

Reiko

Post #273by Reiko » 01.09.2008, 09:01

ElChristou wrote:

Not that the effort isn't nice, but when will we see some exclusive high res fully optimized models for Celestia? I'd really love to discover the trek universe, but the level of the actual production is unfortunately not very tempting... With all the fans out there, no one could move his bu** to do something really stunning?
There are some really good models in Jestr's add-ons. I don't think they are exclusive for Celestia but they look really good.

ElChristou
Developer

Post #274by ElChristou » 01.09.2008, 09:12

Reiko wrote:...There are some really good models in Jestr's add-ons. I don't think they are exclusive for Celestia but they look really good...

Not bad, but by exclusive I mean models edited to match Celestia need of optimized models. Again importing a super highres model is fine but having a descent FPS with it is another story. Perso I cannot stand a model with 5 FPS...

Actually I'm spending HOURS to edit a Cassini model by Jerry (Jestr) and believe me it's a hell of work!

Reiko

Post #275by Reiko » 01.09.2008, 09:45

ElChristou wrote:
Reiko wrote:...There are some really good models in Jestr's add-ons. I don't think they are exclusive for Celestia but they look really good...

Not bad, but by exclusive I mean models edited to match Celestia need of optimized models. Again importing a super highres model is fine but having a descent FPS with it is another story. Perso I cannot stand a model with 5 FPS...

Actually I'm spending HOURS to edit a Cassini model by Jerry (Jestr) and believe me it's a hell of work!
I know what you mean but I get good FPS with those models and I run Celestia on an old computer. It's when I get three of those models in the same frame it slows down or if the model is viewed in front of a world with a texture bigger than 2k. :?

ElChristou
Developer

Post #276by ElChristou » 01.09.2008, 09:49

Reiko wrote:...I know what you mean but I get good FPS with those models and I run Celestia on an old computer. It's when I get three of those models in the same frame it slows down or if the model is viewed in front of a world with a texture bigger than 2k. :?

Right, a good model should have at least a good FPS near a planet with a full 4k set of texture. If it's not the case, IMHO it's not a model for Celestia... :?

Reiko

Post #277by Reiko » 01.09.2008, 11:54

ElChristou wrote:
Reiko wrote:...I know what you mean but I get good FPS with those models and I run Celestia on an old computer. It's when I get three of those models in the same frame it slows down or if the model is viewed in front of a world with a texture bigger than 2k. :?

Right, a good model should have at least a good FPS near a planet with a full 4k set of texture. If it's not the case, IMHO it's not a model for Celestia... :?
Oh how I wish but wouldn't a person's computer be a factor in that? Just looking at a 4k texture makes my computer spit flames and forces me to shove it into the freezer to settle it down. :(

Milosz21
With us: 16 years 2 months

Post #278by Milosz21 » 05.09.2008, 20:33

Life worlds 4 FUN !!!!! 8)

System Daemon/Moon Elene in zoom

System Daemon/Moon Elene

System Tangier/Planet Nova Terra

System Solanos/Planet Samanta

Now please leave me some comments :)

ajtribick
Developer
With us: 20 years 10 months

Post #279by ajtribick » 06.09.2008, 11:14

I created a slight modification to the default cloudmap so it now accurately reflects the weather over the British Isles at any given time in the summers of 2007 and 2008.

Thought I'd post this before I get rickets and end up unable to type any more.

ElChristou
Developer

Post #280by ElChristou » 06.09.2008, 11:26

ajtribick wrote:I created a slight modification to the default cloudmap so it now accurately reflects the weather over the British Isles at any given time in the summers of 2007 and 2008...

LOL! :lol:

Return to “Celestia Users”