How big is you Celestia Directory now ?

General discussion about Celestia that doesn't fit into other forums.
Rassilon
With us: 22 years 8 months

Post #21by Rassilon » 30.09.2002, 17:54

marc wrote:Ive improved on the mostlyharmless system generator. It uses gzipped ssc files and gets the full install size down to 2gig rather that 10gig.

Im yet to do a full install of it with the larger star database of 2 million stars , http://perso.wanadoo.fr/celestia.stars/

at this stage it probably wont work as im only catering for 4 directories of 30,000 star each. It will get as far as the closest 120,000 stars to sol.
To go further Ill either need to have 70 odd directories, or put all the data into a single file (mabey I should have taken this approach from the start).

If I get round to this the MH installation will be 25gig and will take a few days to generate...wow... if the game gets finished no-one will ever be able to explore it all. :D

Sort of like Noctis....Thing is maybe do something like the flaming pear plugin for your textures for generating planets...Problem with that is the amount of time it would take to generate....

Looks like were going to need faster PCs very soon ;)
I'm trying to teach the cavemen how to play scrabble, its uphill work. The only word they know is Uhh and they dont know how to spell it!

marc
With us: 22 years 6 months

Post #22by marc » 03.10.2002, 12:43

Bring on the Scrontium (tm) hey Rass :D

abiogenesis.

I tried a full MH install with the 2 Mil star database. It didn't work. After about five hours it says there's an error with fread or fscanf or some other file IO function.

Thanks for trying that out (i dont have the HD space) That error at the end just means that it got to the last star and is quite normal in the usual generation. (I think) just to make sure can you answer these questions.
(did the generation process go through both stages? ie was there a list of textures printed?)

Hopefully you havn't deleted the files. If not...

All the files needed are probably there. (can you count them?)
The ratios of the size of the habitablesystems files compared to the no of stars seems about right. That just means that stage1 worked.

The problem is that I need to modify celestia so it looks at the rest of the directories that are created. (currently it only looks in part1,2,3 and 4) thats why most of the stars have no planets, its just not looking in the other directories.
If you can squeeze all the *.gz files into the first 4 directories then it may work. I know that the fat32 filesystem cannot handle this many files. I dont know about NTFS.

Also could you email me one of *.gz files from the last part directory? (part71) then ill be able to tell if the generation process worked.

If you've deleted it all dont worry about it.

5 hours is pretty good. What are your system specs?

lastly which version did you do try this with?

poaglazarus@hotmail.com

can you reply to this in the http://www.celestiaproject.net/forum/viewtopic.php?t=678 thread. its a bit more relavent there.

cheers :D

Rassilon
With us: 22 years 8 months

Post #23by Rassilon » 03.10.2002, 14:47

marc wrote:Bring on the Scrontium (tm) hey Rass :D

What is this?
I'm trying to teach the cavemen how to play scrabble, its uphill work. The only word they know is Uhh and they dont know how to spell it!

marc
With us: 22 years 6 months

Post #24by marc » 05.10.2002, 18:11

pentuim
itanuim
scrontuim (so fast your scrotum will retract)

just a bad joke. :?

Return to “Celestia Users”