New forum: Celestia in Education?

General discussion about Celestia that doesn't fit into other forums.
Paolo
With us: 21 years 9 months

Post #21by Paolo » 28.05.2006, 20:18

dirkpitt wrote:
ElChristou wrote:I'm agree to see a dev only forum to be able to follow what's going on...

Try the web mailing list archive:

SourceForge.net celestia-devel archive

The search function seems to have gotten much better recently so it ought to be much more useful.

I think that the correct link is http://sourceforge.net/mailarchive/foru ... um_id=9864
The search tool works very well indeed.

As everyone can see Sourceforce tries to group the e-mail sequences accordingly with the topic or the title but often fails.

It is dicfficult to follow the discussions: the content of the e-mail is overcrowded by the previous messages.

Perhaps these are only my problems but, I've subscribed the mailing list from september 2002 and I've noticed that some e-mail are present in the sourceforge archive but are are missing in my mail client. Moreover sometimes I get the replies before than the initial e-mail.

The mailing list works ... but is a mess.

IMHO the mailing-list has only one advantage: users can prepare the replies off-line and send them when they return on line. Now that almost everyone has full time flat internet connections or cheap connections it does not represent a so good advantage.

So a reserved phpBB forum for the official developers should be a better solution.

Kind regards
Remember: Time always flows, it is the most precious thing that we have.
My Celestia - Celui

scaddenp
With us: 20 years 10 months

Post #22by scaddenp » 29.05.2006, 00:59

Well I vote yes. Celestia is a formidable educational tool as Frank as
shown. The needs of the educational tool can provide some "push" in
development. I dont think the problem of educators going one way and the
main line going some other is necessarily a problem. The overlays are
great but no skin off education version if Chris develops even better way.
Its just that the education version has higher priority for this function and
cant wait.

buggs_moran
With us: 19 years 9 months

Post #23by buggs_moran » 29.05.2006, 11:01

Paolo,

I know the lead designer of the Sourceforge site. I have forwarded your concerns on the mailing list. Hopefully he can add it to their to-do list.
Homebrew:
WinXP Pro SP2
Asus A7N8X-E Deluxe
AMD Athlon XP 3000/333 2.16 GHz
1 GB Crucial RAM
80 GB WD SATA drive
ATI AIW 9600XT 128M

fsgregs
With us: 21 years 8 months

Post #24by fsgregs » 31.05.2006, 02:08

Chris: :D

Just saw this post. I obviously strongly support the idea, and would greatly welcome postings from lots of educators about how they are using Celestia in the classroom or computer lab.

In particular, I could see the Education forum being a place where some neat cel:urls from different educator lessons could be posted ... and suggestions for using different add-ons could be tested out.

It would also give visitors to the forum a way to hone in on education topics, without wading through the thousands of threads and posts that can be found in the other categories. In fact, I could envision lots of both teachers and students taking advantage of it.

I, like many others above, would want to see the Education forum to be just one more category on the Celestia Forum index ... not some isolated forum location that is off by itself.

Looking forward to its implementation.

Frank

Return to “Celestia Users”