Possibly stupid question

General discussion about Celestia that doesn't fit into other forums.
Shredder
With us: 15 years 10 months

Re: Possibly stupid question

Post #21by Shredder » 19.11.2008, 08:28

I don't think it's such a bad question. You just have to think laterally about the answer. Think of your screen as your front window. Your keyboard is your control panel and depending on how nerdy you want to be, you can set up your computer desk as a cockpit. Your spacecraft comes with a HUD. I always imagined the ship resembles the Orion from 2001:A Space Odyssey. The ship has a kick-arse hyperdrive, able to star jump in a few seconds. You just need to get your head around 'following' and 'sync-orbiting' an object as this affects flight direction and even speed, and the Star/Solar System Browser. Practice makes perfect. Might be an idea to get a few space stations. If you download a couple of planet addons, the source code is a little better laid out and you can then start editing stuff. I've only had this program less than a week and I've already mastered flying and I've built myself a fictional planetary system.

That's the fun bit. The ability to observe moons in orbit, the passage of time and even NASA missions as they unfold is what makes this program unique and in a different league than a simple space-flight simulator.

If you augment this program with Stellarium, you have yourself an observatory.

The very fact that both programs are offered free and are so expandable does my head in.

Fenerit M
With us: 17 years 6 months

Post #22by Fenerit » 19.11.2008, 10:36

For something that resemble an "active cockpit" in which, whether I do not have badly understood, the icons panel have commands associate with, look here:

http://www.shatters.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=11&t=13162

these tools have also a planetarium function like Stellarium and are customizable. You can overlay a cockpit of your design above it's command, so when you click on your panel guide, you does activate a function.
Never at rest.
Massimo

t00fri
Developer
With us: 22 years 5 months

Post #23by t00fri » 19.11.2008, 11:26

Shredder wrote:
If you augment this program with Stellarium, you have yourself an observatory.

The very fact that both programs are offered free and are so expandable does my head in.

That does not make sense: Stellarium is an Earth-bound 2D display while Celestia is genuinely 3D and NOT Earth bound. The latter needs a completely different astro-math engine! For Celestia, we can only use data that include distance values! In case of binary stars, we need the FULL set of 3d orbit parameters in Celestia, for galaxies we need 3d shape information besides position and distance, along with a set of orientation parameters in space. Stellarium can get along with just attaching photos of celestial objects to the 2D skyglobe at the correct position...

Celestia does have a surface mode option for the observer (, not only referring to Earth but to any celestial body). The forthcoming 1.6.0 version also has a variety of grids etc all of which allow to "simulate" 2D programs like Stellarium to a large extent in Celestia.

Fridger

cartrite
With us: 19 years
Location: Pocono Mountains, Pennsylvania, USA Greate Grandfother from Irshava, Zakarpattia Oblast Ukraine

Post #24by cartrite » 19.11.2008, 12:17

Shredder wrote:If you augment this program with Stellarium, you have yourself an observatory.
Back a few years ago when I started using Celestia, I was able to go to a virtual observatory on Mars or any other planet I wanted to go to. Something that Stellarium can't do. :wink:
cartrite
VivoBook_ASUSLaptop X712JA_S712JA Intel(R) UHD Graphics 8gb ram. Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-1035G1 CPU @ 1.00GHz, 1190 Mhz, 4 Core(s), 8 Logical Processor(s) 8 GB ram. Running on Windows 11 and OpenSuse 15.4

Reiko
With us: 17 years 11 months

Post #25by Reiko » 19.11.2008, 15:52

All I have to say is I have yet to see any space sim software that comes close to being as good as celestia. Before I found celestia I used to use starry night pro, which cost me $50, and that software is nothing compared to celelstia. :)

Return to “Celestia Users”