High Quality Texture Pack

General discussion about Celestia that doesn't fit into other forums.

Post #121by Guest » 28.06.2002, 13:24

phoenix wrote:its a mostly stable "commercial" windows-emulator primary for gaming with directX 8.1 included.

the WineX CVS-source is for free at sourceforge but it lacks some copyrighted code and is mostly unstable. i tried to get it running for weeks until i bought the binarys from transgaming ;-)

t00fri wrote:I got an older version of nvdxt from Pixel, who claims that it does NOT crash with very big textures. Do you want me to send you this tonight?

Bye Fridger

yeah upload it together with your textures ;-)

greets
Phoenix

I have a look into CVS-Winex. I never buy commercial software;-), independent of what is costs. Too bad, I know...

I just made some test upload to Phoenix' server and got 77 KB/s or about 4.5 min for 20 MB. This is not so bad. Moreover, I realized that the DXT3 textures are still amazingly reduced in size after zipping. So all this sounds quite encouraging.

I just now need some time before I get at the upload. I also have to somehow scan all what Pixel and I have available.

I shall upload the old nvdxt versio tonight from home.

Bye Fridger

Axel

Post #122by Axel » 28.06.2002, 14:05

Hi Fridger,

t00fri wrote:As to an 'inofficial' texture pack, this is fine with me, so long as you also deal with the complaints from people (Newbies) where it does not work...

That's the deal! OUPS. :oops: Ok, that way you've got your piece of mind texturewise and the newbies have something with to spice up their Celestia.

t00fri wrote:I had a closer look into the Script-Fu syntax which is nothing but the scripting language "Scheme". In principle, very extended tasks may indeed be performed with it, but it requires good knowledge of Scheme. Do you know Scheme? I do not know Scheme explicitly, but I know sufficiently many related scripting languages including Lisp...

I plainly have to asdmit that I'm not the script guru in town (except for W2k, NT and a bit VB/VBA (untranslatable german: Igitt!) Unfortunately Delphi is not of any help, as well. (But it's at least koscher :D )

Does 'Scheme' provide complete file handling (maybe even transfer) capabilities?

t00fri wrote:The script installation is also not very complicated.

That's at least the case under Win. I have also installed the Linux version, don't know yet wether it comes with script support out of the rpm @ Suse per default.

t00fri wrote:Such a general GIMP automation project somehow would suit me, since I am sure a number of people will get curious about GIMP after its installation which is compulsory. Then I still have a chance of "seducing" them to get to know a little more than just triggering the Script-Fu;-)...

That is a noble cause and I support it wholeheartedly. :D

CU, Axel

poor little newbie

Parameters for textures

Post #123by poor little newbie » 28.06.2002, 14:15

:lol: Hi :lol: !

This is a re : re : re request... :cry:
I'm looking for the list of parameters that can be put on the file
solarsys.scc
parameters for a planet.

I want to put a Specular Texture
and aBumpCloud texture....

please.....

THANX !

PLN

Buzz
With us: 22 years 8 months

Post #124by Buzz » 28.06.2002, 14:26

Hi poor little newbie,

In solarsys.ssc, you can add a line like

BumpMap "moonbump1k.jpg"

In each object section. The file mentioned here should be in the /textures/medres folder.

I believe however that this does not work properly in version 1.2.4. any more, while it did in the pre-release version of 1.2.4...

Specularity is achieved by an alpha channel in a png file or a dds file. Have a look in a good graphic editor.

PLN thanks buzz

Coud Bump ?

Post #125by PLN thanks buzz » 28.06.2002, 15:00

Thank you so mutch !
Is that possible too put bump for cloud texture ?
Wher can I get celestia 1.2.3 ?

For the brillant guys who made Celestia :
"When the 1.2.5" with correction for the bump mapping ?
Annother question :
Eclipse doesn't work. I have 1.2.4 and XP...

Cool guys here !
thanx!

Mikeydude750

Post #126by Mikeydude750 » 28.06.2002, 18:37

How do you create an FTP server? If I knew how to do that, I would offer my connection.

t00fri
Developer
With us: 22 years 6 months

Post #127by t00fri » 28.06.2002, 20:11

Axel wrote:Hi Fridger,

that way you've got your piece of mind texturewise and the newbies have something with to spice up their Celestia.

My reason of answering this way was more that I doubt it will work at this time, to put something together that will be /robust/ enough for real newbies. So I do not want to be blamed;-)

Axel wrote:Does 'Scheme' provide complete file handling (maybe even transfer) capabilities?

Please tell me one thing: Why exactly did you ask this question?;-)

Axel wrote:That's at least the case under Win. I have also installed the Linux version, don't know yet wether it comes with script support out of the rpm @ Suse per default.

Of course, Scheme is an intrinsic part of GIMP.

Axel wrote:That is a noble cause and I support it wholeheartedly. :D

AHA!
Last edited by t00fri on 28.06.2002, 20:15, edited 1 time in total.

t00fri
Developer
With us: 22 years 6 months

Post #128by t00fri » 28.06.2002, 20:13

Mikeydude750 wrote:How do you create an FTP server? If I knew how to do that, I would offer my connection.

This is strongly OS dependent. Since you did not specify yours, I can't tell you much beyond trivialities.

If you have Linux/Unix, an ftp server is virtually unavoidable;-)

Some essential issues: As the name says, a server is usually waiting for "clients" to come "in" and being "served". The point about a /good/ server is that those clients are not able to do "bad" things in your machine, like hacking etc.

The ftp protokol itself I think is also available as a standard ftp application under Windows. But that is only half the story. Of course, if you are not worried about "curious" clients...so what.

Bye Fridger

Parameters for textures

Post #129by Guest » 28.06.2002, 20:41

poor little newbie wrote::lol: Hi :lol: !

This is a re : re : re request... :cry:
I'm looking for the list of parameters that can be put on the file
solarsys.scc
parameters for a planet.

I want to put a Specular Texture
and aBumpCloud texture....

please.....

THANX !

PLN

There is no list yet, unfortunately.
Since you ask so continuously, let me give you a little hint, that is not perfect, but it might well work.

Go and inspect the code with an editor from the OS which you did not tell;-).

You just have to inspect the file
solarsys.cpp in the directory src\celengine. [Since I do not know you OS, I do not know whether to do the dir-slashes forward or backward for you;-)]

In the file solarsys.ssc you will find all addmissible words easily. Even if you are not "perfect" in C++ you should be able to make some sense out of the code and get an idea how the words are to be used.

Good luck

Bye Fridger

Rassilon

Post #130by Rassilon » 28.06.2002, 23:39

t00fri wrote:My reason of answering this way was more that I doubt it will work at this time, to put something together that will be /robust/ enough for real newbies. So I do not want to be blamed;-)

Do what I do in the Armada modding forums...

[Warning] This is a non-commercial release and I do not take responsibility for any damage or corruption to your version of Celestia...If you do not know how to back up files...do not download...Simple errors are fixable so if you come across any feel free to ask or comment...Instructions on install are as follows...

I personally havent had any issues this far so I never have posted something like this...but beleve me...the IQ ratio here is far higher than the Armada gaming community...so I never felt obligated to post such a warning...

Thus far everyone since they do not post replies...argh this doesnt work...I assume they all know how to install any of my modifications ;)
I'm trying to teach the cavemen how to play scrabble, its uphill work. The only word they know is Uhh and they dont know how to spell it!

Axel

Post #131by Axel » 01.07.2002, 08:26

Hi Fridger,

t00fri wrote:My reason of answering this way was more that I doubt it will work at this time, to put something together that will be /robust/ enough for real newbies. So I do not want to be blamed;-)

This is perfectly ok with me. If you gratiously release anything you can't be made responsible for anything that follows.

Besides. When I pack the texture.zip (which I will take my time for) for newbies it will certainly contain the magic "Back up early and back up often..." :)

t00fri wrote:Please tell me one thing: Why exactly did you ask this question?;-)

LOL. Agreed, file handling and transfer are way too much asked right now, but it could come really handy in the mid-term future if there's the need to do so. So I'd better ask right away.

Thanks,
Axel

Return to “Celestia Users”