Does Celestia have game potenial

General discussion about Celestia that doesn't fit into other forums.
Spaceman Spiff
With us: 22 years 7 months

Post #21by Spaceman Spiff » 18.03.2007, 17:08

Do people not remember "Elite", or even better "Frontier: Elite II" ( http://www.frontier.co.uk/games/frontier/ ) by David Braben? See also Frontier: Elite II ( http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Frontier:_Elite_II ).

I think that's pretty much where Celestia meets games.

Spiff.

Boux
With us: 20 years 1 month

Post #22by Boux » 18.03.2007, 19:27

Spaceman Spiff wrote:Do people not remember "Elite", or even better "Frontier: Elite II" ( http://www.frontier.co.uk/games/frontier/ ) by David Braben? See also Frontier: Elite II ( http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Frontier:_Elite_II ).

I think that's pretty much where Celestia meets games.

Spiff.

Are you serious?
This is about just another tech demo based on old concepts - Spore sponsored by EA, lol.
It is light years away from Celestia.
There are zillions wanabe next-gen-ultimate-game-engine demos out there.
Please have a look at the basics, first.
C++, OpenGL, Glsl and Lua scripting to begin with before mixing up apples (stale) and oranges.
Intel core i7 3770 Ivy Bridge @ 4.4 GHz -16 GB ram - 128 GB SSD cache - AMD Radeon 7970 3 GB o'clocked - Windows 7 64 Ultimate / Linux Kubuntu

revent
With us: 20 years 10 months

Post #23by revent » 19.03.2007, 01:50

selden wrote:And, of course, if you want a spaceflight "game" with realistic Newtonian physics, there's always Orbiter.

Independence War was a commercial game that used Newtonian physics, and once you got used to it it was a lot of fun. People just have to want to put out the effort to get their minds around how inertia really works.

Spaceman Spiff
With us: 22 years 7 months

Post #24by Spaceman Spiff » 19.03.2007, 08:31

Greetings Boux,

Boux wrote:Are you serious?

Not about that tangent to my point you appear to have run off along... :wink: I meant, look at the *game design*, not the game engine or coding requirements, or even the tech demo.

It had a whole galaxy of stars, including real ones near our solar system. It had defined planetary systems, and the planets had surface markings like craters, or seas and continents, or cloud bands. Some planets had rings and many moons. Planets moved in their orbits in a Keplerian fashion.

When you landed at a starport, there were clouds and mountains about, and you could see the sun, moons or planets in the sky.

There was no need for a skybox in Frontier. (Not that I'm poo-pooing what you showed above!)

Frontier also had Newtonian motion, evident during the dog fights and space station docking*. Yet the game was popular and playable.

I've seen many posts from people asking how they can get to fly a spaceship around, shoot other spaceships, and land and move on the surfaces of planets. This is largely what's missing.

Would not Frontier make an excellent paradigm to guide a celestia-based game design?

Do you see? If you reread what I wrote, I was thinking of the *game's* top-down design, not the code's bottom up design. That's another basic. Have you mixed up oranges and lemons? :wink:

Spiff.

* Yep, that auto-dock was a must have... :)

phoenix
With us: 22 years 3 months

Post #25by phoenix » 03.04.2007, 14:31

oh well I've been planning to use celestia as a game-engine for years now but never got the time or resources to "really" start the project and probably never will.

currently I spend most of my time keeping my own business running which leaves me not enough time to start such a big project.

celestia's engine won't be any good for arcade-like games and all that stuff.
I'm thinking more about something like a civilization-clone space-sim.

maybe this summer will give me 1 or 2 month to branch and strip the final celestia 1.5 code down to the necessary parts and implement my already working networking-stuff ... but that's just a very big "maybe" ;)
most recent celestia win32-SVN-build - use at your own risk (copy over existing 1.5.1 release)

Return to “Celestia Users”