Celestia renamed, repackaged, and being sold for $30!?

General discussion about Celestia that doesn't fit into other forums.
rthorvald
With us: 20 years 8 months

Post #21by rthorvald » 11.03.2007, 21:43

revent wrote:Here's the contact info

While appreciating your input, didn??t you understand WHY it is improper to put his name and address up here? It is going to end up in Google.

If the guy is innocent of this, he will nevertheless NEVER get rid of the public "bad press" associated with his name. I??d suggest you edit your post to remove it quickly.

- rthorvald

revent
With us: 20 years 7 months

Post #22by revent » 11.03.2007, 22:20

rthorvald wrote:
revent wrote:Here's the contact info

While appreciating your input, didn??t you understand WHY it is improper to put his name and address up here? It is going to end up in Google.

If the guy is innocent of this, he will nevertheless NEVER get rid of the public "bad press" associated with his name. I??d suggest you edit your post to remove it quickly.

- rthorvald

Don't you understand that it's already /IN/ google? Whois records are public information.

If you google 'vrtube.com', the VERY FIRST PAGE LISTED has the exact info I posted, and it's not even the site I pulled the whois info from.

IOW, he's been publically associated with this site IN GOOGLE for six months now.

rthorvald

Post #23by rthorvald » 11.03.2007, 22:40

revent wrote:Don't you understand that it's already /IN/ google? Whois records are public information

That is not the point...

There is NOTHING incriminating in that information. Coupled with this thread, which will be crawled in a couple of days, it becomes different.

-rthorvald

revent

Post #24by revent » 11.03.2007, 23:16

The person listed in WHOIS is /legally/ the owner of the website, and thus is /legally/ responsible for it's content. If someone else created the domain and website, and listed him in WHOIS, then he now owns it and can take it down.

BTW, the posting of WHOIS info for objectionable websites has been a common net practice for years, particularly on USENET. That he is listed as the contact is an objective fact, and stating it isn't libelous in any way that I can see.

Even if he is innocent, googling 'David Gandolfo' returns will over a quarter million results, and unless a /lot/ of people link to this page it will be /way/ down at the bottom. Even restricting it to 'David Gandolfo AU' gives about 90,000 hits.

Besides, if he is innocent, I'm sure someone will post that fact to this thread, and someone who found it during a search would see that.

If Chris or Selden has a problem with it being posted, though, I'd have no issue with removing it.

I would like to point out that I had not seen your post about forwarding the WHOIS info to Chris when I wrote my post, BTW, but it doesn't really matter, just that i didn't intend to be redundant.

rthorvald

Post #25by rthorvald » 11.03.2007, 23:23

revent wrote:If Chris or Selden has a problem with it being posted, though, I'd have no issue with removing it.

So, you need someone with authority to judge for you on when to use common courtesy on the net?

I give up.

- rthorvald

Christophe
Developer
With us: 21 years 11 months

Post #26by Christophe » 11.03.2007, 23:32

The site has just been taken down as I was browsing it.
Christophe

revent

Post #27by revent » 11.03.2007, 23:37

rthorvald wrote:
revent wrote:If Chris or Selden has a problem with it being posted, though, I'd have no issue with removing it.
So, you need someone with authority to judge for you on when to use common courtesy on the net?

Interesting way to misread what I said, and be insulting about it.

Try 'I was acknowledging the fact that they control this forum, and so have the right to decide what can be posted, and stating that I would have no problem with them deciding that they didn't want it posted.'

Either way, it would make no difference as to how I feel about if it is 'courteous' to post the WHOIS info. That's a issue that was debated /long/ ago on Usenet, at exhaustive length, and I agree with the consensus that it is fine to do so.

This has gone /far/ off topic, by the way.

danielj
With us: 20 years 10 months

Re: Celestia renamed, repackaged, and being sold for $30!?

Post #28by danielj » 12.03.2007, 00:29

This is happening in Brazil,too.A major magazine homepage called Americanas.com is selling with the name "Universo com Celestia" for about 30 reais,the equivalente of 15 dollars.I had warned before,but no one realized.
Look at it.(Sorry for being in Portuguese):
http://www.americanas.com.br/prod/250171/Catalogo

I wasn??t sure,but look at the demonstration ("Clique e assista a demonstra?§??o desse produto")

macweirdo42 wrote:What the hell? I just happened to stumble across this today, and I thought I should let people here know. It seems that somebody is selling Celestia under the name "VRtube." I apologize if this has already been brought to light, but better safe than sorry, I think.

http://www.vrtube.com/

ElChristou
Developer
With us: 19 years 5 months

Post #29by ElChristou » 12.03.2007, 00:44

Christophe wrote:The site has just been taken down as I was browsing it.

A good things done!

ElChristou
Developer

Post #30by ElChristou » 12.03.2007, 00:57

danielj wrote:This is happening in Brazil,too.A major magazine homepage called Americanas.com is selling with the name "Universo com Celestia" for about 30 reais,the equivalente of 15 dollars.I had warned before,but no one realized.

I wasn??t sure,but look at the demonstration ("Clique e assista a demonstra?§??o desse produto")

Someone fluent in Portuguese should try to ask them what license they are using...

rthorvald

Post #31by rthorvald » 12.03.2007, 01:10

revent wrote:This has gone /far/ off topic, by the way.

Indeed. Check your PMs.

-rthorvald

chris
Site Admin
With us: 22 years 5 months

Post #32by chris » 12.03.2007, 06:12

I've been away and just now saw this thread. I'll be sending the owner of the site a polite message about his site. It is legal to resell Celestia, but as Fridger mentioned, it must be redistributed with the GPL. If that's not included, the vrtube have violated Celestia's license. It's likely that the GPL is included however, as I doubt that these folks have gone through the trouble to remove the GPL and repackage the Celestia. I'm less clear about whether it's illegal not to mention the real name of the software that they're selling--if it's not outright illegal, it's at least dishonest.

--Chris

revent

Post #33by revent » 12.03.2007, 06:56

danielj wrote:This is happening in Brazil,too.A major magazine homepage called Americanas.com is selling with the name "Universo com Celestia" for about 30 reais,the equivalente of 15 dollars.I had warned before,but no one realized.

From babelfish...
"Universe with Celestia, one program that is a true work of art in terms of space simulation. It for more than travels for the universe 100,000 stars and he is not imprisoned only to the planet Land. Already if it imagined travelling for the stars, sailing for the solar system or it are of it? space ]Simula?§??o in real time that leaves you to try our universe in three dimensions. ** Requisite minimums: - Windows 98/ME/2000/XP/2003; - Pentium 3 450 Mhz (or equivalent); - 128MB of memory RAM; - DirectX8.1; - Plate of video 3D with 32 MB of memory compativel with OpenGL; - 200MB of free space in record. Supplier: The Best Media"

Not the greatest translation, but you can get the point.

ElChristou
Developer

Post #34by ElChristou » 12.03.2007, 11:02

Seems that the guy put a license in his page... the site is up again...
Now the use of the splashscreen is still here without mention...

ElChristou
Developer

Post #35by ElChristou » 12.03.2007, 11:38

Puahhh!! just have a look at this site again... now all the dev team is mentionned!! You are all guys linked to this bullshit!! :x Hope you will do something, this is ridiculous!!

revent

Post #36by revent » 12.03.2007, 11:41

Amazingly, his English is even worse now. :)

ElChristou
Developer

Post #37by ElChristou » 12.03.2007, 11:51

If this site cannot be closed, at least the mention "Graphics by Celestia" should be present on all the pages using the splash...

bh
With us: 21 years 6 months

Post #38by bh » 12.03.2007, 12:23

I get a 403 forbidden.
regards...bh.

holio
With us: 17 years 3 months

Post #39by holio » 12.03.2007, 13:55

Ok thanks for taking me to hell.
The flames are still buring my butt.

I've made an entire new site with the buy now buttons removed, only one of you have complained so much I have been barred accessing my Host

Ok for starters Im in no violation of the licence, but have decided to change the site.

If the person responsible for issuing the order to have my hosting access removed is here, please write an email back to who ever you wrote to
as I have a new site to upload. it's a site that should have no arguments in this forum.

If distrubing the software for free is still a personal problem, then I will upload an entirely different site.

Thank you.

Post your PM's to me personaly please @ davidgfo@hotmail.com
Im sure one of you have a log to put under me
ty

ElChristou
Developer

Post #40by ElChristou » 12.03.2007, 14:33

holio wrote:Ok thanks for taking me to hell.
The flames are still buring my butt.

I've made an entire new site with the buy now buttons removed, only one of you have complained so much I have been barred accessing my Host

Ok for starters Im in no violation of the licence, but have decided to change the site.

If the person responsible for issuing the order to have my hosting access removed is here, please write an email back to who ever you wrote to
as I have a new site to upload. it's a site that should have no arguments in this forum.

If distrubing the software for free is still a personal problem, then I will upload an entirely different site.

Thank you.

Post your PM's to me personaly please @ davidgfo@hotmail.com
Im sure one of you have a log to put under me
ty

Baarghh... this guy has really no shame...

You are free to sell your package, this is clear in the GPL but you cannot use original artworks without mentioning the copyrights.

BUT this is not the big deal in this story, let's forget those license stuff and copyright laws, and let's talk from man to man.

What is disgusting with guys like you is the way you try to f%ck poor ignorant people by selling them something FREE...

I keep what I say before, you are a real sh%t, sorry.

Too much hours have been spend by too much people to see an idiot like you earning money this way. You are just spitting on all the community and now you dare came here and request something? I can't believe it...
Your attitude is just immoral and completely cynical.

If your ISP has closed your site, they must have some valid reasons; hope they won't let you continue this sh%t.

What you claim here make no sense at all, Celestia don't need a poor site like yours, the official ones is more than enough.

Between us, you should try to find out something better to earn money, something you can do with your own hands for exemple...

Return to “Celestia Users”