OpenUniverse

General discussion about Celestia that doesn't fit into other forums.
Topic author
Borg Collective
With us: 21 years 7 months

OpenUniverse

Post #1by Borg Collective » 25.11.2002, 12:46

We know that this is a little "off Forum" but what happened with >>www.openuniverse.com<< or >>www.openuniverse.org<<?
Whenever we try they are unaccessible.

However, does anyone of you know where can we download it?

Thanks!

Don. Edwards
With us: 21 years 9 months

Post #2by Don. Edwards » 25.11.2002, 13:54

Unfortunatly the Celestia project pretty much killed it off. OpenUniverse was only a solarsystem simulator while Celestia was the whole galaxy or at least our neck of the woods in it. I haven't been to the site in over a month but I am sorry to here the site went down. I started off with this software and I hate to see an old friend go even if it is made of 1s and 0s.
I am officially a retired member.
I might answer a PM or a post if its relevant to something.

Ah, never say never!!
Past texture releases, Hmm let me think about it

Thanks for your understanding.

Thilo
With us: 22 years

Post #3by Thilo » 25.11.2002, 16:17

yeah, i started with openuniverse too, but that's the way it is: something better is always to outrank the current software :)

Sum0
With us: 22 years 3 months

Post #4by Sum0 » 25.11.2002, 21:09

Last thing I heard was that it was merging with Celestia - so I came here and downloaded it :D Did anything happen with that? I've seen Raul (who I think was the main guy behind Openuniverse) around this forum occasionally, but does he do anything with regards to the actual program?
"I have been asked, 'Pray, Mr. Babbage, if you put into the machine wrong figures, will the right answers come out?' I am not able to rightly apprehend the kind of confusion of ideas that could provoke such a question."

Thilo
With us: 22 years

Post #5by Thilo » 25.11.2002, 21:17

Yeah, the two main guys behind openuniverse are paul and axel ... i have seen axel posting here a few times, often fighting flamewars with t00fri =)

Raul.
With us: 22 years 1 month

Post #6by Raul. » 25.11.2002, 21:46

That's weird, i don't update OU anymore but the site is still up. I guess the DNS went SNAFU. Anyways, try this alternate URL:

http://www1.openuniverse.org/

Why did we cease OU development? Well, quite a few reasons but mainly lack of time. I don't have so much spare time since a couple of years ago and honestly the little i had i didn't feel like sitting in front of the computer 8) . That was the time when Chris released first Celestia version and i liked a lot, i thought Celestia would eventually turn into what i'd liked OU to be (and to be honest Chris is a way better programmer than me). We even talked about merging both projects but again, i'm a lazy bastard :wink: , then i said to myself "ok, i'll try to help" but again.... :twisted: Well, at least i'm happy that i could lead a few people to Celestia.

Sometimes i wish i was more focused and managed to carry on. Anyways i'm more than happy with Celestia and Orbiter. Maybe one day these two killer apps will merge :wink:

t00fri
Developer
With us: 22 years 3 months

Post #7by t00fri » 25.11.2002, 21:50

Thilo wrote:... i have seen axel posting here a few times, often fighting flamewars with t00fri =)

H? h?...

Bye Fridger;-)

diegorodriguez
With us: 22 years 2 months

Post #8by diegorodriguez » 01.12.2002, 12:42

Raul. wrote:Anyways i'm more than happy with Celestia and Orbiter. Maybe one day these two killer apps will merge :wink:

Yes, and there's also a thing called Eagle Lander 3D from Ron Monsen focusing on a very accurate simulation of the last feet on Apollo XII landing. But he doesn't feel like joining efforts with Chris Laurel or Martin Schweiger to do something better. He talks on different niches, even. I don't think their products are so different in their goal, even when they use different graphical API's. :cry:

It's rare, indeed, that programmers give up with their code pieces in the way you did with OU, no matter if something else is better or not. That is wasting efforts in reinventing the wheel in the sake of a bad natured fight will.

Return to “Celestia Users”