How to see planet formation ?

General discussion about Celestia that doesn't fit into other forums.
Topic author
Trance
With us: 17 years 7 months

How to see planet formation ?

Post #1by Trance » 22.11.2006, 12:08

Hello everybody.
I'm a beginner in Celestia (I've installed it yesterday). I've read the guide and in it I've seen that I can go to the past and see the planets formation.
But how ? I can change the time and date, but how can I go to this time, what option can I change ?
Thanks in advance for your help.

PS: sorry for my English...

Andy74 M
With us: 19 years 11 months

Post #2by Andy74 » 22.11.2006, 17:58

To see this, you've got to install add-ons. Take a look at Frank Gregorio's Educational Activities, which can be found at the Celestia Motherlode:
http://www.celestiamotherlode.net/catalog/educational.php

danielj
With us: 20 years 10 months

Post #3by danielj » 22.11.2006, 19:23

I think the only addons available is about the formation of the Moon,when Primitive Earth and Orpheu collided.There is no such thing as an addon that show the formation of the planets from the planetesimals.

Andy74 wrote:To see this, you've got to install add-ons. Take a look at Frank Gregorio's Educational Activities, which can be found at the Celestia Motherlode:
http://www.celestiamotherlode.net/catalog/educational.php

Topic author
Trance

Post #4by Trance » 22.11.2006, 20:07

Thanks... but I have to install Celestia-ED... and it doesn't exist for Linux at this time :(
I didn't know that I will have to install an add-on to see what is written in the official guide...
I hope the packages for Linux will be installable soon !

Cham M
With us: 20 years 5 months

Post #5by Cham » 22.11.2006, 20:16

The Earth-Moon formation addon from Jestr is very good and spectacular. You need a powerfull computer, however, since it's pretty graphics intensive.
"Well! I've often seen a cat without a grin", thought Alice; "but a grin without a cat! It's the most curious thing I ever saw in all my life!"

Topic author
Trance

Post #6by Trance » 22.11.2006, 21:05

Okay, but where can I download it ? I've searched on the website, but found nothing.

Cham M
With us: 20 years 5 months

Post #7by Cham » 22.11.2006, 21:13

Sorry, I don't know. Apparently, it isn't on the Motherlode. I don't have it anymore myself, on my computer (I don't remember why I removed it).
"Well! I've often seen a cat without a grin", thought Alice; "but a grin without a cat! It's the most curious thing I ever saw in all my life!"

danielj
With us: 20 years 10 months

Post #8by danielj » 23.11.2006, 01:39

Actually I have the addon in my computer and it is called Orpheus_medres_JPG,but it is too BIG to send to you.It has 39.8 MB,in zip format.If you know any way to do this,maybe I can help you.
For example,several email servers only accepts 10 MB of attached files for each email...

Cham wrote:Sorry, I don't know. Apparently, it isn't on the Motherlode. I don't have it anymore myself, on my computer (I don't remember why I removed it).

fsgregs
With us: 21 years 8 months

Post #9by fsgregs » 23.11.2006, 02:35

You can download Activity 9, the Primitive Earth and Moon, from the motherlode education page, and use it without installing Celestia-ED. It contains the add-on mentioned above. Simply download the Activity zip file, then unzip it to a temporary folder (any folder will do). The Activity is provided in two versions ... a high resolution dds version for faster computers, and a jpg version for slower computers. Choose only one of them to download.

After unzipping, look in the Activity folder for a folder titled, "educational-extras". Copy the contents of that folder and paste them directly into your "extras" folder in Celestia. Then, open Celestia the usual way.

Once Celestia is open, open the Activity 9 educational document (written in MS Word). Read the document beginning on page 7, paragraph 23. Most of the "click here" links will work. A few will not.

Enjoy. The trip back in time to witness the formation of our Solar System and of Earth and moon is spectacular.

LET ME KNOW if you have any problems.

Frank Gregorio

Topic author
Trance

Post #10by Trance » 23.11.2006, 19:29

Thanks fsgreg ! But it doesn't work... In fact, I've downloaded and unzipped the files into the celestia directory, opened the Word document, and clicked the two links inside. The first diplays an error message caused by the "play" instruction. I think it is normal because I haven't Celestia-ED. And the second link seems to work beacause I don't have any error, but I can only see a black screen with "Earth Mark 1" in the top left corner. And nothing else... If I type "G", nothing happends.
I've tried this on Windows. I installed Celestia-ED and I extracted the activity in the folder. This time, the first link makes the sound work. The second makes Celestia display a scene with only a star at the left and nothing else. No Earth, no Moon... The time is the current time. And I don't have "Earth Mark 1" in the corner, like in Linux.

I don't understand at all... Thanks if you can help me again...

Andy74 M
With us: 19 years 11 months

Post #11by Andy74 » 24.11.2006, 14:09

Trance,

as Frank mentioned above, you have to copy some files to your "extras" folder:

fsgregs wrote:After unzipping, look in the Activity folder for a folder titled, "educational-extras". Copy the contents of that folder and paste them directly into your "extras" folder in Celestia. Then, open Celestia the usual way.

Did you really do this?

Andy

Topic author
Trance

Post #12by Trance » 27.11.2006, 20:48

Yes, I really did this (on Linux, where I can't install Celestia-ED) !
In Windows, even with Celestia-ED, it doesn't work...
Have you an idea ?

Return to “Celestia Users”