bump mapping in AGI RAge 128 Pro

General discussion about Celestia that doesn't fit into other forums.
Topic author
fsgreg

bump mapping in AGI RAge 128 Pro

Post #1by fsgreg » 09.11.2002, 00:01

HI folks. I have been frustrated to discover that my AGI Rage 128 Pro video card does not display either DDS files or specular files. However, I thought it did display bump mapping and I've been blissfully opening Celestia planet textures, assuming the bump maps were operational. However, I think I'm wrong. Looking closely, I am not getting any bump map effects on any planet.

Will my video card run bump maps? If so, how do I "turn it on" to do so. If it will not, is it somehow possible to blend/merge the bump maps onto the regular jpg or png planet textures using some kind of graphic editing software so that I get some kind of shadow effects?

8O

Don. Edwards
With us: 21 years 9 months

Post #2by Don. Edwards » 09.11.2002, 03:32

In a word no. The Rage Pro is to just to old and it didn't have the greatest 3D features at the time. Sorry to give you the bad news.

TVTExtreme4
With us: 22 years 5 months

Post #3by TVTExtreme4 » 09.11.2002, 04:48

What about a Radeon 8500 (128mb DDR)? Is there a way to use bump mapping with it in celestia?

Don. Edwards

Post #4by Don. Edwards » 09.11.2002, 04:57

I bought a Radeon 8500LE 128mb and found that none of Celestias bumpmap and specmap features worked. For a while I thought I saw some very mild bumpmaping but it turned out it was just the texture having some shadows near the mountain and craters. So I took it back. If you have an ATI card you are going to have to wait for Chris to make Celestia compatable. I don't think you are going to see this at least until version 1.2.6. You are just going to have to wait a while. And no, buying a ATI Radeon 9700 series isn't going to help either. Its all ATI cards. They are just compatible with the drawing engine witch is totaly geared toward NVidia based cards. Sorry!

TVTExtreme4
With us: 22 years 5 months

Post #5by TVTExtreme4 » 09.11.2002, 05:18

I wish my computer would work with a GeForce 4 card but my motherboard wont work with one. I tried it and my games would freeze my computer all the time! Ohh Well, i guess i will have to wait till chris makes celestia work with radeon. :(

Don. Edwards

Post #6by Don. Edwards » 09.11.2002, 06:07

I had a similar problem. It did turn out to be the motherboard. It wasn't letting the GeForce4 get enough voltage curent through the AGP bus. As soon as I went to another motherboard with the same VIA chipset it all cleared up. I am happy I made the change. I also notice a big speed diference. I had to face the fact that the other board was just a piece of junk. I think you are probably having a similar problem. Not to say your motherboard is a piece of junk just that it sounds like the same problem. Oh well it can't be to long a wait for you I hope.

Return to “Celestia Users”