Need MAC version help BADLY

General discussion about Celestia that doesn't fit into other forums.
Topic author
MonstersFromTheId
With us: 18 years

Need MAC version help BADLY

Post #1by MonstersFromTheId » 01.07.2006, 06:13

Ah the ecstasy and frustration of playing with a new toy.

I'm running 1.4.1(0) on a Mac using OSX 10.4.7 (the latest version available).

So far the ONLY keyboard shortcut I can get to work is COMMAND+L (Go to Object).
Which is a neat function, but not particularly useful for learning your way around the Galaxy.

The arrow keys work, so I can roll clock-wise and counter clock-wise, and pitch up and down. But there's no way to yaw right or left.

*** Engaging number lock and using the number keys 4 and 6 to yaw produces no response. None. Nothing happens.
Is this a known bug? I haven't found any mention of any problems like this, and being a new user, I'm leery of posting it as a bug.

------------------
I *can* maneuver to point at objects, but ONLY by using the following REDICULOUSLY involved work around.
1) Go to Sol.
2) Use the arrow keys to roll and pitch until the celestial grid is horizontal.
3) Use SHIFT+Right (or Left) arrow key to "Orbit" my way around Sol until I can see the area of the sky containing an object I'd like to visit.

4) Select the object by clicking on it.
5) Center the object by double clicking on it.
--------------------
All fine and good for selecting an object, but ultimately useless since...
NONE of the travel controls work.
Selecting from the Menu:
Travel/Ahead
Produces no response.

Using the keyboard short cut:
X
Produces no response.

A
Produces no response.

Using the keyboard short cuts:
F2,F3,F4,F5,F6,or F7
Produces no response.

Selecting from the Menu:
Travel/Velocity/1ly/sec
Starts things moving, but NOT TOWARD THE SELECTED OBJECT. I have no idea where I'm headed, the selected object stays centered as though it's being tracked, but I seem to be moving on a straight line that eventually places me outside the Galaxy while the selected object, though still apparently centered, gets too small to see.

I'm DYING to start using this program.
I'm also no newcomer to computers or complex software.
I regularly use programs like PTC's notoriously difficult to master PRO-ENGINEER, MAX mrp, and various other programs that generally require taking fairly expensive courses for a few days before the basic functionality of those programs can even be used.

Either -

This program is not particularly easy to master

Or
the Mac version is so completely full of bugs that it can't really be used

Or
following the installation instructions RIGOROUSLY still leads to a botched install.

Or
the latest version of Celestia 1.4.1(0) is not compatible with Apple's OSX 10.4.7 (the latest version available for G4 laptops) or OSX 10.4.1 (the version that ships with G4 laptops).

Or
I need to consume considerably more alcohol before starting Celestia.

Or
I need a child under the age of 9 to look at this (children under the age of 9 appear to be born with "digi-instincts" those of use over the age of 9 are not graced with, making them superior in all regards when it comes to using computers, and/or the internet, cell phones, ancient VCR programming, microwave ovens, or any other device that employs more than three LED's on its front or back surface).

Or
Celestia is working just fine, but I'm delusional, or possibly aphasic, and just THINK it's not working.

Suggestions?

dirkpitt
Developer
With us: 19 years 8 months

Post #2by dirkpitt » 01.07.2006, 12:34

Thanks for checking out Celestia on OS X.
Unfortunately I can't reproduce any of the issues you're having. I tried the official 1.4.1 on OS X 10.4.6. My hardware is a G4 1.33GHz PowerBook.

4 and 6 yaw left/right.
X and A also work (make sure Num lock is turned off - green light underneath the num lock/F6 key should be off)
F2~F7 work (check your Num lock, and make sure you're holding down the fn key too - fn-F2, fn-F3 etc)

There're a lot of keyboard shortcuts to master, true, but I found that "Enter", "g", and "h" were enough when starting out. BTW using Celestia "under the influence" is pretty fun too... :wink:

ElChristou
Developer
With us: 19 years 4 months

Re: Need MAC version help BADLY

Post #3by ElChristou » 01.07.2006, 13:16

Welcome!

First suggestion: don't post two times the same question (not necessary) :wink:

MonstersFromTheId wrote: ...Engaging number lock and using the number keys 4 and 6 to yaw produces no response. None. Nothing happens.
Is this a known bug? I haven't found any mention of any problems like this, and being a new user, I'm leery of posting it as a bug.

I'm using a PB G4 under 10.3.9, 4/6 with numlock work (4=U, 6=O)

MonstersFromTheId wrote:Using the keyboard short cut:
X
Produces no response.

A
Produces no response.

Using the keyboard short cuts:
F2,F3,F4,F5,F6,or F7
Produces no response.

X works (if you are in motion, first look somewhere else (using the mouse) then press X and your direction will change to the point you are looking at).

A works (you need to accelerate till 20 LY/s to see something if you are far from a star or planet)

@ Dirkpitt: for F(x) keys we should add a note for PB users in the help file (fn)

MonstersFromTheId wrote:Selecting from the Menu:
Travel/Velocity/1ly/sec
Starts things moving, but NOT TOWARD THE SELECTED OBJECT. I have no idea where I'm headed, the selected object stays centered as though it's being tracked, but I seem to be moving on a straight line that eventually places me outside the Galaxy while the selected object, though still apparently centered, gets too small to see.

This is normal, you always go toward the center of the screen (point of view). You have to center first (c) your selected object if you want to travel to it.

DonAVP
With us: 18 years 7 months

Lesson ONE

Post #4by DonAVP » 01.07.2006, 17:28

First off you need to get the Manual. Go to MotherLode http://www.celestiamotherlode.net/. In Resouces (on the right) is Documentation. Get 1.4.1 User's Guide and Key Chart. That should provide you with enough reading material for a while. As you see there is a lot of other material on different subjects depending how deep you want to go with this. MotherLode is were you get all of the add-ons that people have done. Lastly download and run some of the scripts that people of done for jurneys to different planets, moons and such.

You can go to any of the planets by type the number keys at the top of the keyboard. Mercury being ONE, Venus TWO etc. Once you have selected an object (planet). You will see (in the upper left of the window) the name, distance, radius and apparent diament from were you are of the object. If you type 'c' (center) the POV will turn and you will be looking at the selected object. If you type 'g' (go) you will fly to the object. You can click on any star, planet, galaxy etc you can see to select it. When you do you will see its name and the other info I mentioned before. Another way to select an object is the type 'enter' and type the name of the object at the bottom of the screen. Type 'enter' again and it will be selected. Basically that is how I get around by selecting the desired object and 'g' going to it.

8) Guess that is enough for the first lesson. BTW I feel for you having to use ProE. IMO it is one of the worst carpul tunnel generators of a program in the market with all of the pull-down menus you need to go thru just to draw a circle, :? JEESSSSS.

Don
Don't know anything

t00fri
Developer
With us: 22 years 3 months

Post #5by t00fri » 01.07.2006, 17:33

DELETED

Bye Fridger

Return to “Celestia Users”