Educational add-on help.

General discussion about Celestia that doesn't fit into other forums.
Topic author
YellowTwo
With us: 18 years 6 months

Educational add-on help.

Post #1by YellowTwo » 15.03.2006, 04:52

I downloaded the educational add-ons from celestiamotherlode.net and followed the directions correctly (as far as I know) on installing it. But when I open the activities, it opens Celestia but only shows the first frame of the demo and doesn't play it.

I downloaded and installed:

a) the custom celestia version for windows.
b) the general education package.
c) activities 1/2 - all unzipped into the correct folders of the ED folder and everything.

Any ideas as to why the demos won't play? I also tried activity 10 and it does the same thing.

scaddenp
With us: 21 years 1 month

Post #2by scaddenp » 15.03.2006, 19:46

Not sure what you mean by "wont play". It is driven by the word documents
that make up the activity. You read the document and ctrl-click on the
links to send celestia to the right place.

Topic author
YellowTwo

Post #3by YellowTwo » 16.03.2006, 01:53

Oooh it's DRIVEN by word? I guess I need to install that then! Thanks :D

scaddenp
With us: 21 years 1 month

Post #4by scaddenp » 16.03.2006, 02:03

in the readme bits of the doc, Frank has pointers to free word viewers
that do the job for people without word. (At least that is my memory).

SBernheart

Post #5by SBernheart » 16.03.2006, 09:07

Hi. I'm new to these forums, so be gentle. I know some, I figure out most and I'm determined to learn the rest!

First, for YellowTwo, I think some of what scaddenp was thinking about may be found on the following page:
http://www.celestiamotherlode.net/catalog/educational.php

Second, now for me. A simple question -- I think. I've already installed the 1.4.1 version. Do I have to use the Celestia-ED 1.3.2 version in order to use certain educational add-ons? What's the difference between them? OK, that's two questions! lol Maybe a simple answer then. I just want to understand the best way to use Celestia.

Any help is always appreciated. I hope I was able to help a little, too. Thanks.....

Bern [;-]

fsgregs
With us: 21 years 11 months

Post #6by fsgregs » 17.03.2006, 21:47

Hi Bern:

The Activities currently available on Motherlode are version 1.4.0-ED. To use them, you have to download and use the special Celestia140-ED version of Celestia which is available as a zipped file on the Motherlode education page.

A major update of the Activities to version 1.4.1 is now complete. It includes use of a new "special" version of Celestia 1.4.1 that incorporates SOUND effects and overlay textures. All I have to do is get the Motherlode site updated. That takes time, since I have to edit the page text, change links, update all new zip files for each Activity to Motherlode administrators, etc.

I hope to complete the uploads of the all new Activities within the next 5 - 7 days. When I do, I will post an announcement to the forum.

In the interim, I suggest you download and install the 1.4.0-ED version of Celestia that is available now on Motherlode, and enjoy at least one of the journeys. Then, a week or so from now, revisit the site. If the site has been edited and changed, you will have access to the new updates and the new Celestia141-ED program.

Enjoy

Frank Gregorio

Andy74 M
With us: 20 years 2 months

Post #7by Andy74 » 20.03.2006, 09:44

Hi Frank!

For the update, will it be necessary to download all activity files again?
Or will you provide an update patch (archive with only the new/changed files)?
Just a question, not a demand :-)

Andy

SBernheart

Thanks for the Info!

Post #8by SBernheart » 20.03.2006, 12:08

Kudos & Plaudits! Plaudits & Kudos!! Just wanted to give my thanks to all of you that work in any way, shape or form on this project!
Frank, thanks for the heads-up on the Celestia 1.4.0-ED version. I used the direct links you gave on your post and downloaded:

Letters to Users....
Celestia 1.4.0-ED for Windows
General Educational Download
Activities 1 & 2

and then my nephew and I continued on with 'Activity 6 Life and Death of Stars' and we had a ball!! It was so much fun -- even for a 40-something aunt!!! [;-] LOL LOL LOL

If you need a proof reader or something like that, I'd be glad to give it a try. I'm a member with SourceForge.net and I edit POPFile's wiki. Just take a peak at the bottom of any page and look for my nickname SBernheart meaning I was the last one to sign off on that page. I try to help where I can, when I can. It's one way I can give back to those who've helped me some way.

I sent you a private message, Frank. It was my first one so I hope it got to you alright. It was just something I wanted you to look at. Hope that was OK with you. Personally, I've never been a big fan of Private Messages, but I guess this is one of those times you would use one.

Thanks again, guys. I'll be back. I'm pretty sure about that the way my nephew's going! Great job!

Bern
"In the end, it's not the years in your life that count -- it's the life in your years."

fsgregs
With us: 21 years 11 months

Post #9by fsgregs » 20.03.2006, 22:47

Bern: Thanks for the offer to proofread new Activities. I WILL take you up on it. Also, thank you for the kind words.

:)

Andy 74:

Regarding updates to the Activities, it is possible to update what you have downloaded now, but it would take me a lot of work to separate all the new material I have added and include just a patch to update last years' downloads. I strongly prefer simply including whole new files and asking you to discard the older version of my Activities and update it with new ones. I will be putting those files on Motherlode within the week or so.

Regards

Frank

Return to “Celestia Users”